NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Smell of Greys

Elvenking

Smell is a powerful sense as it relates to emotion and memory. I had a cat that showed up at my house, and the moment I smelled him, I knew he was mine. I can't explain it, but his scent (and it was a very light one) instantly invoked full-on mother in me. It was just like smelling my own baby.

I love the sweet, powdery cockatiel smell, almost like baby powder. I love the wonderful smell of the Greys, especially when they have been outside. And I have now come to realize I love that musky Amazon smell. Alex, the sun conure, has very sweet breath most of the time (maybe because he loves fruit?) which is good because he loves to kiss and gets very... intense when doing so. I like his smell too, and now that there is an Amazon here, I notice that the sun conure smell is kind of like Amazon-lite. LOL.

Maybe we need a 12 step program for bird sniffers, or even just "pet sniffers", lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazons give off a fruity aroma when they are alarmed. Pancho used to when i first got him, but he barely does now. I love the way Brutus smells! I do bury my nose in his feathers quite a bit. I bury my nose in Jimpster the Quaker's feathers too. I like the way they all smell. They are my kids after all...

Hello, My name is Lisa and I am a bird sniffer...

LOL, Bongo smells like a baby powder until you get near his beak, I would swear he eats garlic. (I think it is the peppers though as he doesn't get garlic unless it is in one of the bird recipes.) Gabby and Cotay don't let me that close to get a whiff of them, but I keep trying!!! My Lily and Gus and Koko though just love being sniffed!! The macaws, I can only smell Oliver and with his lack of feathers, I don't smell too much!