NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Smell of Greys

Elvenking

I am just wondering....does anyone else just absolutely LOVE the smell of their African Grey? Ohhh my gosh....when I get my nose close to Isaac, I simply love the way he smells. It is kind of a musky smell...I am sure you know it. I can't get enough of it really. Love it!

I do love the way all my birds smell. Each breed has it's own distinctive smell. I always pick GreycieMea up with two hands and stuff her in my face and get a big sniff. It's now evolved into getting a big sniff then making a vibrating noise, like an elephant, on the exhale - and Greycie loves that. She does the 'elephant' now when I do it on her back.

I love the way my CAG, Maalik smells, too. However, my favorite smell is that of my Panama Amazon, Harley. It's a musky smell that comes from his exhaled breath. Sometimes it's stronger than at other times, but it's very pleasant to me for some odd reason.

If I could make a fragrance from it, I'd call it: 'Odeur-de-Amazon'

I love the way my CAG, Maalik smells, too. However, my favorite smell is that of my Panama Amazon, Harley. It's a musky smell that comes from his exhaled breath. Sometimes it's stronger than at other times, but it's very pleasant to me for some odd reason.

If I could make a fragrance from it, I'd call it: 'Odeur-de-Amazon'

Hahhahahahha...I have smelled Isaacs breath too. Too funny. We must have all been birds in a previous existence. It is a blissful activity smelling parrots.

I do love the way all my birds smell. Each breed has it's own distinctive smell. I always pick GreycieMea up with two hands and stuff her in my face and get a big sniff. It's now evolved into getting a big sniff then making a vibrating noise, like an elephant, on the exhale - and Greycie loves that. She does the 'elephant' now when I do it on her back.

How cute! Isaac did something similar when I would kiss him on the side of the wing. I would say "Whoooo" kind of like and owl. Then he started doing that after I did it.

If you've ever gone into a shop that sells fabrics for making curtains, that's what my ringneck smells like! She literally smells like a new curtain! Like the material and fabric they use to make curtains and linens etc.

Yes, I love the scent of parrot! To me it smells like cotton sheets fresh from the outside clothesline. I wouldn't fare well to get close enough to bury my face in Gilbert's feathers but can get a warm wafting scent when she lets me scratch her head through the bars of her cage. Java lets me kiss her neck and I say "Oooh birdy, that smells nice". When she sees me coming to pick her up for good night cuddles, she says "Ooh" in the cutest little voice and makes a puffing, blowing sound. It must be the way my sniffing sounds to her.

My Too's remind me of an unscented baby powder, the Greys are each a little different smelling, the Amazons I have sniffed remind me of Froot Loops.

Hahahahahha Fruit Loops....I think I have smelled this from the Amazons at the bird store. Very close parallel.

Yes, I love the scent of parrot! To me it smells like cotton sheets fresh from the outside clothesline. I wouldn't fare well to get close enough to bury my face in Gilbert's feathers but can get a warm wafting scent when she lets me scratch her head through the bars of her cage. Java lets me kiss her neck and I say "Oooh birdy, that smells nice". When she sees me coming to pick her up for good night cuddles, she says "Ooh" in the cutest little voice and makes a puffing, blowing sound. It must be the way my sniffing sounds to her.

LOL....that is hilarious. I love it when they do expressive sounds you make.

Love the scent of HRH, also! Every morning when she comes out of her cage, I snuggle her to my chest and bury my face into her neck feathers while she makes smooching sounds. To me she smells like hot sunshine on a shirt ... or like when you're ironing one. My 'zon used to smell like tacos, in a good way. It makes me smile just thinking of his little Dorito breath. He would sell his soul for a bite of taco flavored Doritos (dont be judgy, I was young, living in the middle of nowhere, and hey it was the '70s!) and afterward, he'd have a little taco breath for awhile. :D

My husband and I both adore that smell. I don't get to enjoy it so much now that Mar is gone. I could get a face full with him as he'd cuddle under my shirt or under my chin. I could kiss him anywhere. He'd even lift his wings and let me kiss his "soft spots" (as my husband would say, armpits). Megan would eat my face off if I tried that. Although she is letting me give her scritches now without biting.

Has anyone else noticed bird smells seem stronger after the birds have been outside in the sunshine?

Oh man, finally a new subject to talk about:confused:! People checking out what their parrots smell like! What is this world coming to? I'm trying to picture people going around and sniffing their birds. This is gotta be a first. For the many, many years that this board has existed, This thread makes my day. . I thought I heard it all. Fruit Loops, Baby powder, fresh cotton sheets, on a clothes line, "If I could make a fragrance from it, I'd call it: 'Odeur-de-Amazon'", curtains, linens, hot sunshine on a shirt, tacos. So strange:rolleyes: Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Dave007

Perhaps you have been missing a little something in your Parrot relationships? Not every one is olfactorily gifted some are more conscious of smells than others. I did know someone who thought that eau de skunk is lovely, it takes all kinds. Love your post Dave!

Oh man, finally a new subject to talk about:confused:! People checking out what their parrots smell like! What is this world coming to? I'm trying to picture people going around and sniffing their birds. This is gotta be a first. For the many, many years that this board has existed, This thread makes my day. . I thought I heard it all. Fruit Loops, Baby powder, fresh cotton sheets, on a clothes line, "If I could make a fragrance from it, I'd call it: 'Odeur-de-Amazon'", curtains, linens, hot sunshine on a shirt, tacos. So strange:rolleyes: Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Hahahhahha...yep. I am amazed to find out I am not the only one who really gets something out of it. Fruit Loops was my favorite.....ha! Bird breath is a whole other level......just funny.

Stephen

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Have you sniffed your birdy today?

I sniffed all three of them :)

Oh every morning of course. It's a routine. I peek in under the cage cover....say "Good morning boy" quietly. Then uncover him. I take him out and hold him up saying, "Hiiiiiii boooyyeeee". Then I bring his face close to mine for a beak to nose touch, followed by a little smooch on his back which is the perfect opportunity for a little sniff. Ahhh....I'm awake now.