NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breathing Problems

KemperRae

Hi everyone, I have an African Grey whos 5 years old.. She recently started making a gurgling sound and a rattly type of breathing.. I called the vet and was told to put her in the bathroom and let her steam in there for about 45 mins.. I have done this twice now with no difference.. She doesnt want me to bring her in because she said it would stress her out more.. Shes eating, drinking and pooping just fine but its been over a week now and Im getting worried, shes never been sick before so I dont really know what to do.. She has also stopped talking and sits with her eyes closed and normally she NEVER shuts up lol..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Personally, I would insist on taking her in to the vet since her normal behavior has also changed. Continue with the recommended treatment and call your vet back. I f your vet still does not want her to come in, I would call another vet. You need to let your current vet know about her change in behavior.

Please keep us posted.

Yes, I would find another vet, she should be seen, as they hide their symptoms when they are sick, if you are seeing a problem, then something is not right. Don't wait, putting a bird in the shower for breathing problems isn't something that usually is suggested...that's for people. As for stressing him out , although he may be a bit scared, he will do justfine and foret all about it whenhe gets back home. Do what you have to to find out what's wrong, because clearly something is wrong.

She is clearly very sick, sitting quietly and not along are big red flags.

Whats worse, a little stess, or your bird getting so sick something terrible happens to him because you didn't take him in?

Breathing distress in a bird is very often a life-threatening condition. If one of our birds has *any* respiratory symptoms, they go straight to a board-certified avian vet. Respiratory infections can become extremely serious very quickly - partly due to the nature of the bird's highly efficient respiratory processes and partly due to the fact that birds are so good at hiding symptoms until they have progressed to a point of being serious. The change in behavior (vocalizing less, sitting with eyes closed) are symptoms of a sick bird.

I have a bird with deformed feet because the former owner did not take him to the vet to avoid stressing him. There are times you can avoid stress. Vet visits during a serious illness are not one of those times. Call it a necessary evil. But I would strongly advise a trip to a vet.

Is that rattle constant or does it come and go? The reason I ask, is because a Grey growl depending on the frequency low or high can sound like a rattle. Here is a video of a rattling type of growl:

If it not this, as others have said, take her to the vet. Who cares if the grey may not like the visit? When it comes to their health, that is just a bump in the road. I have never heard of a vet giving such off the cuff advice.

• 2 months later...
GlennMarsh is just an idiot spammer that needs to be removed from the forums. Disregard any of his crap.

You may be right. I tried to respond to one of his posts and when I read his other posts it seemed obvious that his comments were completely unrelated to anything. Now I feel stupid trying to offer him advice.

Never feel stupid for doing a good thing, getting correct information out there is very important!

You are right about that. 30 yrs. ago my mom had an DYH amazon. She developed upper respiratory problems and was told by the vet to put her in the bathroom and get it steamy for about 15 minutes twice a day. About two in the morning my mother heard a "thunk" and went to check on her, she had fallen off her perch and died. Thirty yrs. ago there wasn't much help for the average parrot owner when things went wrong.

Edited by 2birds