NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Weeping Cherry tree

Brat Birds

I know of someone who is cutting down his weeping cherry tree. I would like to use some of the branches for Peanut and Skitttles. But, I see on some lists that Cherry tree should not be used for parrots. Does anyone know if Weeping Cherry is safe?? It has not been sprayed in over twenty years.

I know of someone who is cutting down his weeping cherry tree. I would like to use some of the branches for Peanut and Skitttles. But, I see on some lists that Cherry tree should not be used for parrots. Does anyone know if Weeping Cherry is safe?? It has not been sprayed in over twenty years.

There's confirmed cases of problems for birds, dogs and horses concerning cherry trees and or branches... Some folks lean toward using cherry wood, but not the bark, under the premise that the bad chemicals are primarily in the layer under the bark. Do you know what or where that layer is? Do you see what I'm getting at here? When there are an abundance of sure safe woods, why use one that has bark with potential bad stuff in it? Suppose there were no confirmed cases of dead birds from cherry trees. If cherry turns out to be a subtle problem, would you want your bird to be the first confirmed case? I suspect there are cases which haven't been reported but not documented. There must be hundreds of birds dying each year due to real causes that we don't know about.

Also, concerning the actual cherry fruit. The pit in the middle is extremely toxic and parrots like to crack open pits so anytime a person wants to feed a cherry to a parro, the pit must be first removed/.

Another thing about your neighbor's tree----have any idea how many times it's come in contact with animals who are disease carriers? How many animals pissed on it?

Edited by Dave007

Yeah, that was one of the reports I read too. I was hoping against hope that someone would know that weeping cherry is different from cherry. Oh well, not worth the chance, but I really would have loved some new branches for them.