NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Keeping baby flighted or not

2birds

I have a question that maybe some would be able to answer. Actually I have a lot of questions about bringing a young bird home but one at a time. I will be getting a new baby in about 12 weeks. I have spoken to the breeder on wing clipping. Her normal protocol is after the baby is weaned and flying she will let them stay flighted for a couple of weeks and then clip them. After that she will keep them long enough to see how they are doing after the clip (a week or so) and then they get to go to their new home. I thought that it would be better to leave it flighted as my two other birds are flighted as well and that's what I prefer. She said that I could do that but in her experience it would be better that the baby was not flighted until it could get used to me. It wouldn't be able to fly away from me so I wouldn't be inclined to have to chase it around and capture it if need be and frighten it. Does having it's wings clipped diminish their confidence? I'm thinking that it does. If yes, how much? and is confidence easily regained once their new feathers come in? I got my Goffins flighted and he was a little of a pain. We did clip him but in a way that he could still fly just couldn't get a whole lot of lift but he could still glide. He was also an adult with a lot of flying experience so it didn't affect him too much. He is now back to being fully flighted. Does anyone have experience in both scenarios? Feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks Lori

My advice is to keep flighted ESPECIALLY since you are experienced with flighted birds. We have a breeder we are currently dealing with that has the same rule: she lets them fledge and fly for a while and then shortly before sending them to their new home will trim them. We've worked out a deal, and you may be able to do the same, that if we agree to keep the baby caged with minimal out time for the first two weeks, she will 'consider' not clipping. We're going through the whole 'may I see pictures' of of our current setup, birds, new baby setup etc. Feels like an invasion of privacy but I think it's worth it to get a bird that isn't clipped. Plus I know she's not just a breeder that wants to sell birds. She's genuinely concerned about the new home where she's sending one of her babies.

I'm a believer in letting a bird learn to fly. As they progress to terrible two's, I am also a supporter of trimming back. You HAVE to have the perfect trimmer! I could tell my trimmer my plan with age of development, and he could deliver. I needed my birds to stop and listen when they were out of control. I wanted them to fly safely within two rooms. Kids and I could practive flying. We did, and the bond eventually extended to kids.Flying is awesome, but an out of control bird who has no idea what you expect... doesn't work in my opinion. Nancy

To clip or not to clip is going to be up to you.

Most of us here leave our birds full flighted as this gives them full control when it comes to landing and making turns in your home.

Yes you have to be more careful when going in and out of the house and that your house is bird safe

I really like for them to be able to fly. They enjoy being able to come out of their cages when they feel like it. In the morning I will open their cages and when they get around to it they join me in the kitchen to see what is for breakfast. Sometimes Lilli the goffins will just climb down and walk though, I'll turn around and there she is waddling across the floor. It's pretty cute but I always have to look where I'm walking so I don't step on her.

Edited by 2birds

+1 on the votes for leaving flighted, unless there are major safety issues in your environment that would preclude it. When HRH Inara came to live with us at two years old, her history was that at some point she had been clipped by her breeder, then her first people allowed her flights to grow back, but never helped her fully fledge. In fact, they used to take her outside on their shoulder and just assumed that she was "not interested in flying." Yikes! When she came to live with us she was like an out of control brick being tossed through the air if she got startled. She had no sense that her wings belonged to her. So I began immediately working with her on exercises to allow her to figure out that those things were indeed hers, and that she could use them to her advantage. She now if startled, can navigate beautifully and appears to have our entire first floor mapped out in her head. She lands with grace and control. We're now working on recall and she seems to really enjoy that she can "intentionally" fly now. She does still appear a bit surprised at herself though.

Certainly there are many and personal reasons for trimming back, but if the environment is safe, and you have the experience and patience and awareness, I'm in total agreement with you and others that a flighted bird is a much more confident companion. As a prey animal, it is imperative that they feel that they can escape threats and dangers. Just my 8 cents :)

I will try to behave myself and not go on a rant, as everyone here knows my feelings on clipped wings....so my vote is Absoulutely keep your bird flighted, especially with other flighted birds in your home.

Vote YES for NO clipping

My two cents worth is to keep them flighted for if one accidentally gets out of the house he/she has a better chance of survival if fully flighted, of course I know you would be very diligent about never allowing this to happen but accidents do happen, birds have wings for a reason so its a shame when someone chops them off, rant over.

We really wanted our baby to arrive fully flighted. Our breeder highly recommended clipping and clipped his clutch mates. My most treasured memory was the first time I was making breakfast for him and I felt him land on my shoulder for the first time. We already had a smaller flighted parrot, like you. I was so very appreciative of the extra work our breeder has to go through to keep Juno flighted until he was weaned and ready to come home.

Its a tough call. There is a reason breeders want us to clip our birds. My trimmer can go on and on how many calls he gets from owners that birds have flown away. He tells me the odds of survival are zero. Owls and Hawks will get them. Its depressing to listen to him. I had no choice when Sophie first came to us at age two. She was clipped and going thru the terrible twos. I slowly increased her feather growth while working on her behavioral issues. It was definitely easier working with her since she had the attention span to learn. On the flip side... it took her a decade to learn how to fly, even though she had full growth for that ten years.

I truly believe, if I had had Sophie as a baby, I would have had her learn to fly, develop her chest muscles, which is very important. I probably would have " trimmed" back her flight when going thru the terrible two's, so she could listen. I did this with my Amazon, and it was a good decision. Kiki could still fly quite well, but had to stop and land occassionally.Luckily, Kiki stopped on us. Nancy

I think that keeping it flighted is the better idea. I would be keeping it in one room to start with anyway and there is really no where for it to go. I would rather it gets really good at flying before clipping if I have to clip at all. I always keep the doors locked when the birds are loose so no one from the outside can just open doors. I'm not saying that it is impossible for my birds to get out but the chances are minimal as I don't exactly have a bustling household and I'm very careful. I like it that the birds can go where ever they want and they really don't cause too much trouble if they have enough toys to keep entertained.

I agree with you. I have 3 free flighted birds, and always keep the doors locked. I also had storm doors put on as an extra safety precaution. I believE a clipped bird IF it gets out most likely will die...it has no way to escape a predator. a flighted bird has a chance to fly Up & AWAY.

Another suggestion... is opening doors thru the garage. I have done this.... so birds cant escape, I haven't opened my front door in years! Nancy

Nancy, YES, that's what I do as well. Unless my birds are caged, then everyone must enter thru the garage, close garage door, then enter my house! Great advice!!

When we order Pizza for delivery... they know to honk twice! I go thru the garage door and they are waiting. They don't even think I am crazy anymore! LOL Nancy

Nancy, our pizza delivery guy now knows just to go to the garage door and wait for me to open it as well!

I disabled the doorbell. It was too crazy listening to birds and dogs go crazy. Knock... I'll hear you.... will open the garage door.Its a system we have done for years. Its kept my guys safe for years, outside of Kiki prying away around the air conditioner. I still kick myself for not anticipating that. Nancy

We try to keep them safe. It was a crazy moment where Kiki was fresh from the shower, it was a very hot day! I told Sean my son, to put her on my wrought Iron bed, Kiki would enjoy the cold feeling on her toes. She pulled out the cardboard next to aircontitioner, and she was gone! The entire neighborhood helped me, including people I never met. The problem was...she could fly! We could find her... but she would take off again! Hence... as I am a firm believer in learning how to fly as a baby.... I'm not against trimming back in the future. Its a situation, of " damned if I do..."

We all miss Kiki... but I wouldn't change a thing about our " open cage belief". A bird room! I agreed to have birds, but I refused to have closed cages when kids wanted birds. They agreed to having birds with their own room and no closed cages.It worked! They exceeded our expectations, as once they trusted each other, they all lived together! Nancy

I talked to the breeder yesterday and she said that after talking to me, her and her husband don't have a problem letting me take baby flighted. YAY!! An added bonus. They are letting the babies get used to harnesses. I'm really grateful for this, it will make training that much easier. Hopefully this summer I will be building a small to medium aviary in the yard so harness training will make it nice for not only outings to the aviary but also for socializing with other people and new things.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure she will let me make the decision, she just advised against it from her own experiences.

The babies I had control over, that were hatched in this household, have never been clipped. They behave just like all our other 'hand-fed' and 'clippped' birds. I personally only clip when it is a safety issue - such as Anya - who came here cage bound and completely terrified and would fly out of the cage like a rocket every time the door was open. She flew into furniture and walls, and was clipped solely to prevent her injuring herself. She hasn't been clipped since. Even though she has no concept of "going back" after playroom time, I still will not re-clip her. I don't clip for my convenience, only for their safety.

You are lucky to have a breeder who will allow you to choose. Many simply clip and tell the buyers that is the way it is. Good for her.

I talked to the breeder yesterday and she said that after talking to me, her and her husband don't have a problem letting me take baby flighted. YAY!! An added bonus. They are letting the babies get used to harnesses. I'm really grateful for this, it will make training that much easier. Hopefully this summer I will be building a small to medium aviary in the yard so harness training will make it nice for not only outings to the aviary but also for socializing with other people and new things.

What a good breeder! I wish ours had early harness experience. Mar just took to the harness. Megan has never let me put the harness on her. We work on just tolerating the presence of the harness-monster. She's actually gotten to the point where she will 'touch' on command, but still won't let me slip it on her. I did drop the big loop over her head once and she squawked like a wet hen! I suspect I will get a harness on Peck before I do Megan. ;)