NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oliver has a feather!

murfchck

Almost 3 years, we had been told Oliver would not get his feathers back but he has one coming in on his body! It is a pin right now but it is over an inch long! Located on his back by his leg, i am so excited for him!

So, i am going to get technical here, bare with me please. You know the area on a birds body where there is that joint where the tail begins, the area where they can wiggle. Anything above that i consider the body. He does have more now. I do not know what is going on but he has another feather, not as large as the one in that sad picture i tried to post but it is there and i can also see 2 others under the skin still but definatly the start of feathers, one on his leg and the other under his wing. I hope we didn't mess things up last night but we had to seperate the Too's. They were in the double macaw cage with the divider and yesterday morning, half of the feathers on Gus's face were gone. (the ones that fluff up and cover the bottom beak) Not having a spare cage, we put the macaws in theirs and the Too's in the big ones. I am searching for another cage on craigslist and the bird mart is next Saturday so hopefully this will work for a week without causing to much damage.

One bird gets feathers and another loses his.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that i do not think i have ever gone through a noticable molt, even with 7 birds. (eh, so 3 are pretty much bald) But since Oliver got his body feather, and a few new ones in the bald spot on his head, i have been picking up his feathers 4 at a time off the floor. All he does is shake his body and they fall out. In two days i have picked up 9 feathers, he has a bunch of new ones coming in but i didn't think he had that many feathers to begin with! lol Also, most of the time all he wants is Bubba but lately all he has been wanting is me! I am loving it!

20140513_203311_zps2jw79aeq.jpg

Edited by murfchck

Thanks, he is my little boy. I think back to the day he came to us and he sure has come a long way. Like Pat said, he was defeated and his eyes showed it. Now his eyes show happiness with a touch of mischief. He just cracks me up the way he tries to do something he knows he shouldn't, like pluck Bubbas feathers. He bends over ever so slowly, lifts his wing like he is going under it then BAM, he gets one of Bubbas chest feathers and sits upright with it hanging from his beak looking around like What? Why did Bubba scream? I was just minding my own business. And then his eyes twinkle. I am waiting for the day he looks at me and calls me a little shit, followed by a giggle.