NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice on choosing a grey as my companion - I need people's input

GCedric

Hi all, I came here needing the advice of people actually living with greys (and not just pet shop sales people). I love birds, am emotionally very sensitive to them and the last thing I would ever want would be to make a choice that could cost a bird its happiness / mental health.

So first of all, I would like to tell you about myself and my life style, then I'll tell you about my personality around birds, then I will ask specific questions.

Oh and please, do not play the lets 'scare him by telling him he doesn't know what he's getting into and how this is a commitment' tape as I have read these warnings thousands of times about any specie in the past five years. I am so sensitive to a bird's wellbeing that I can scare myself off without anyone's help. I can't even stand reading stories of abuse and neglect without almost wanting to cry and yes - I am a guy.

About me

So I am 24 years old man and I live in downtown Montreal, Canada. I am a tax attorney and will finish school on April 15th and I already have a job scheduled to start on May 5th at a big accounting firm in Montreal. I will be working with the U.S. tax team so you guys can relate a bit more to what I will be doing (assuming most of you are from the U.S.). I live 10 minutes away from the office.

That immediately means that twice a year (before April 30th and September 15th) I have tax seasons, thus reducing the probability of time I would be home (so change of routine).

That also means that budget is not a problem for me and that I am more than able to provide my prospective companion with the largest cage, tons of toys, good diet and vet services (I have an avian vet approx. 7 kilometers from my home). I also always have access to a car whenever I need one.

Living downtown means I live in an apartment, which is soundproofed (concrete walls). It is soundproofed to the extent that when I play loud music, people do not hear it at all even if it's at midnight on evenings. I have an excellent relationship with all of my direct neighboors (each side, above and below) and have asked them if they ever heard me or anything (loud music).

I do not have a girlfriend or children yet.

It also means that I would sometimes be working long hours. Mostly though, I would never get home later than 6 p.m.

Starting in May also means that I am NOT going to purchase him right now. I need to see how I will naturally evolve in my career and then IF and only IF there is a place for him in my life, will I go ahead and get myself a bird companion (it needs to be a natural fit for me).

Finally, I do not drink alcohol or party, and working as hard as I do, I don't tend to go out a lot. When I'm done, I like coming home.

My experience with birds

I've had a Quaker for a number of years. It died approx. 3 years ago and I didn't get any other bird in the mean time because I was not stable enough in my life (still moving around, school, etc.)

I have handled big macaws as well (greenwings) and am not scared of bites. After a macaw's bite, nothing is scary anymore.

My personality around birds

Here's how I was with my quaker, and I would not intend to do things any differently with another specie:

* I had a harness for him and took walks with him outside;

* I took my baths with him (it would bathe on my stomach as it was too small to do any differently;

* He came out is cage as soon as I was there and would follow me around anywhere I'd go in the house;

* I loved to handle him and play with him;

* He'd eat with me when I had diner. I would put veggies on a plate next to mine, even though he would end up in my plate anyway (he ate chicken - lol)

* When I wasn't home, I would leave the radio /* TV on with documentaries.

Why a grey

Here's why I have laid eyes on a grey:

* Its size: I want something in the intermediate size;

* Its reputation of not being THAT vocal (because of the appartment setting);

* Its natural beauty;

* NOT for its ability to talk (it would be amazing, but its not a prerequisite);

* NOT as an ego extension (macaws do a better job at that one), although it would make me proud, yes.

Here are my concerns about a grey:

* Its emotional sensitivity and changes of routine;

* Its plucking reputation;

* Its not so cuddly reputation (although I plan on getting him as a baby and to have him used to being handled and to wearing a harness to go outside);

* Its 'aloof' reputation;

Other species I have considered

* Macaws - for their personality and more stable emotional states, but VERY improbable I would get one due to my 'apartment setting', although I have considered a mini macaw, but they still have a very loud reputation, so mostly not likely to happen;

* Caiques - amazing, although they would be a bit small for what I would like.

My concerns with my situation

* Will I be away for too long? (8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and surely more 2 months a year due to tax seasons)

* Will it handle changes of routine well (changes mostly being my pattern of being home, and why not: even the season changes in Canada)

* Is it THAT prone to developing neurotic behaviors or are people exaggerating? (let's face it, the two extremes exist: those that do not care enough, and those that are overthinking / overdoing it).

Conclusion

As I said before and I will reiterate here, I am very sensitive to a bird's psychological well being. I would not be affected so much by a bird throwing a tamper tantrum or something like that, but would be heart shattered if a bird exhibited psychological distress in my care. I am not willing to bring a bird in my life to make it unhappy. I am not in a hurry to get anything if I am not secure it will receive a life it deserves.

Suggestions

Should you end up thinking a grey is not the best choice, I am interested to hear what specie you think would be better, considering I would like (as much as possible it is) an intermediate bird and why you think it would be better.

I know it is long, but I know it is to you guys that these questions are best addressed, as you've been living with them on a daily basis, which pet shop people have not.

Edited by GCedric
  • Haha 1

My, my young man you have put a lot of thought into this post. Which grey are you looking at a Congo or a Timneh. I think it is smart to wait until you get settled into your job routine to really see what your schedule will be like. Each parrot/grey has its own personality. There is no way to really say rather a grey will be loud and noise or calm and mellow. I will tell you that I do know that a grey, TAG or CAG, really wants to belong to his/her flock (that would be you) as they are flock creatures. They try very hard to belong and if you talk to them and tell a grey what you want and show them, they normally do their best to oblige. If you are relaxed so will your grey be. They are very intuitive. They can fit into your schedule if you remember to include them. Good luck in finding the grey for you. Welcome to the Grey family.

Thank you for having read me iluvparrots:)

It is a long post and I hope people won't overlook it.

I have put the amount of thought that I think is required for this kind of decisions. I love being a complete idiot with my bird, almost becoming a child with them and speaking to them in different pitch voices. They really bring out the kid in me.

I would be looking at a CAG (not sure there are that much TAG around Quebec)

Also, I have myself suffered in my life of anxiety and depression and would not want a living being under my care to go through that because I did not do my homeworks before bringing it home. I don't want to overthink or overscare myself but coming here seemed to me like the best idea.

Hello and welcome! I'm glad you are doing your research. Many of us work outside our homes which means quite a bit of cage time for our birds. I shoot for at least 4 hours of out-of-cage time a day. More is better, but it doesn't always happen. I'm relatively inexperienced, but I would point out that even getting a grey as a baby doesn't come with any guarantees. It is like having a human baby, you have environmental control, but temperament and a lot of other factors are beyond your control. What I mean is you never know if your bird will be a cuddle muffin or standoffish, vocal or quiet, etc. It sounds like you are somewhat prepared for that. Regardless of temperament and disposition, if you are willing to put the time and effort into it your bird will come to trust and care for you. My relationship with my TAG is more meaningful to me than I thought possible, and I've had a variety of "pets" over my lifetime. Good luck and God bless :)

Great questions and thanks for the very detailed outline you created of your present situation and environment. A Grey will adapt to schedule changes. Many of us work or have worked leaving our Grey's and other Parrots home all day in a cage filled with plenty of toys, food and water etc. They do just fine as long as you do ensure they have 3 to 4 hurs out of cage time in the evenings with you. Weekends of course many times will be an all day out of cage event that they will become accustomed to as well and look forward to it.

Just based on your "Resume", I think you would be a wonderful Grey owner, your hired! :)

Hi and welcome! It is great that you are here and I think you will find that most people here sincerely want to help. I came here as a complete parrot newbie and this forum has been a lifeline. As Timbersmom said, many on the forum work typical 9-5 jobs and are away during the day. I am a teacher and luckily get home a bit earlier, but your schedule is not prohibitive as long as you have a lot of enrichment for your grey while you are away and that you really devote your home time to relating and spending special time with your grey. From your post you seem more than willing to do that. Four good hours out of the cage is a good goal. One thing I might suggest is that you socialize your bird with friends and family as well that might be able to spend some time with your grey during your busy tax season. I recently had a month of jury duty where I was away from home many evenings quite late. I had friends and family stop by on a rotating basis who she knows and loves. It made my absence easier to handle. That may not be possible in your situation, but it is something to consider. I live in a one bedroom condo with neighbors all around. My grey is vocal, but she is not loud and no neighbors have ever complained about noise. As far as the temperament of your grey, much of that is unique to the individual grey. If you spend a lot of time with your bird and bond closely, I am sure that you will have a wonderful relationship. My grey is not very cuddly, but she loves me and lives for our time together--as I do. Good luck and keep us posted on how things progress with you on this journey. As far as your concerns about plucking or phobic or neurotic behavior, I believe most of that can be avoided as long as you provide for your grey's physical, mental, and emotional needs.

Edited by JeffNOK

Thank you for your great answers. You are right, we never know, and I know we can't even begin comparing a baby and an adult, like human children and human adults are very different - and let's be honest, children often have sweeter dispositions than we adults do. I find that the more I age, the more I like my routine, the less tolerant to change I become, and hell I am still only 24.

The relationship could effectively surprise me a lot. That we have no idea.

Like I said and I will repeat it to be honest, I would've gone for a greenwing macaw. But I can't wrap my head around bringing one in an apartment. If anything, it could be a later-in-life project.

A grey is totally different from a GW and that I know (although only in theory as I do not have enough experience with either bird to confirm these things)that a grey could bring another relationship that I would never have thought about. These are all things I am exploring right now. It's not so that I need a clown parrot or a 'toddler' like parrot, it's more that I need to give it affection.

I am a very touchy feely guy in general. I love touching people (women) in affectionate ways (not a sexual thing at all per se) and that is a part of my own personality that I would be frustrated with if my bird absolutely refused me to caress him.

Edited by GCedric

Before I got my grey I really believed that affectionate touch with my grey was paramount and of great importance. Having had dogs and cats, I was used to cuddle time, and wanted that with my grey. Of course I would still love that, but I know her personality and that is not likely to happen. I never say never, though . In spite of that, I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I have a warm and close relationship with my grey and, to my surprise, I do not really miss the physical affection. That is just my case, and some greys are cuddly--but in general adult greys tend to only tolerate head scritches from time to time--on their terms--usually when they are sleepy and getting ready for bed. If physical affection is extremely important or a deal breaker for you, you might want to think long and hard about whether a grey is the right bird for you. I don't want you be disappointed if your grey doesn't appreciate that kind of relating.

A Greenwing Macaw is known to be pretty affectionate and cuddly (blue and golds, too). But as you said, Macaws are rarely suitable for apartments. I have met some very affectionate Caiques, but they can also be loud. Conures are also cuddly--but loud too and smaller than what you are looking for. I don't know if you have ever researched the Cape Parrot (Also called Uncape Parrot). They are about the size of a Timneh grey but look bigger because of their huge beaks. They are the largest of the Poicephalus genus and are known to be very smart and also cuddly and quiet. I think they very attractive, yet comical looking too. The downside is that they are very expensive. Maybe twice the cost of a grey and difficult to find.

I am not trying to talk you out of getting a grey. I have no doubt you would be wonderful with your bird. It just seems like maybe you are looking for a slightly different personality. I don't want you to be frustrated or disappointed.

Thank you for giving it to me straight. I am not sure if it would remain the most important thing. Like you, it is possible that I could end up not even caring about it after a while. That I don't know. What do you feel makes your relationship with your grey amazing? Ie. how do you guys exchange affection with your birds if they don't like being touched?

My CAG Gracie shows affection in many ways. Sometimes she will fly over and perch on my hand and chill with me. She will nibble at the buttons on my shirt or preen my chest hair for a bit. I don't get to pet her--but she is close. This only happens about 20-30 minutes a day, however.

Also, Gracie is a real talker and we interact very meaningfully through "conversation". We have chats--literally--about our daily activities and our wants and moods.

I teach her songs and we sing them together. Sometimes she takes the lyrics and changes them. I taught her the song "Jesus Loves Me" and she changed the lyrics to "Yes, Jesus Wants Some Cheese--Yes Jesus Wants Some Cheese"--in perfect tune. I taught her "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean" and one day when I left the room she changed the words from "Bring Back My Bonnie to Me" and it became "Bring Back--Bring Back--Bring Back my Daddy to me--to me!" Now this is one of her contact calls. It is funny and heartwarming and meaningful and bonding. We also whistle back and forth inventing new tunes and trying to imitate each other.

Often, I sit by her cage and ask her, "Gracie whatcha doing?" She will look at me then do something (like grab one of her toys) and reply--"Gracie on cage. Gracie likes toy." Then she will ask me, "Daddy whatcha doing?" and I do something and tell her about it (something she knows the words for). She will then repeat what I am doing. (-well some of the time).

We go visit family or friends and Gracie perches in the middle of us all chatting and playing and engaging us sometimes with jokes or mischief. If she feels ignored she may fly over everyone's head touching each person with her feet and saying "Gracie Gracie Gracie" with great delight. She especially likes to irritate my friend Pam by intentionally calling her the wrong name (The name of a person Gracie knows Pam dislikes.) It is intentional and calculated to get a reaction--which it does. It's hilarious. "Don't call me that! I'm Pammy!" Gracie just eyes her and repeats the name of her nemesis.

These little glimpses of her humor and mind gives insight into her personality and allows me to know and appreciate her.

We go to the park and sit in the sun and talk about the people we see and the birds that fly by and the dogs walking the trails. Gracie comments on everything. "Gracie see birdies." "Gracie likes sunshine" "Doggy--woof woof." When an insect enters her travel cage at the park, she says "Ah! Ah! No!" she hates bugs. Sometimes we just sit quietly and let the sun warm us and let the breeze wash over us. It is very intimate.

When I get Gracie's meals ready she flies into the kitchen to supervise and make sure I'm doing it "correctly." She reminds me that she wants "Peas and corn and carrots." If I forget something she lets me know. She often also asks for "Dorito"--but she rarely gets those since they're not healthy, but she is ever hopeful.

Gracie has great empathy. She understands my moods and tries to cheer me up if I am down. When I served on jury duty a few months ago it was very difficult emotionally. It was a terrible murder trial that was quite depressing. When I came home Gracie would fly to me and say, "Whatsa matter? Don't worry be happy. Gracie loves Daddy." Then she would just sit quietly on my hand. Gracie will call me over to her cage and say "Wanna see Daddy." "Wanna touch shoulder." I go over and offer her my shoulder. She tenderly reaches out her beak and gently touches my shoulder. Sometimes she then takes a chomp out of my shirt and tries to chew a hole in it-but not always.

These are just some examples of how we are close and share life together and show love for one another. Greys are so smart that you begin to feel truly understood by them. It is like a friendship more than a pet situation. It may not be very "hands on", but it goes to the heart.

Edited by JeffNOK

I'm of the opinion that a lone Grey kept in a cage is akin to holding something in solitary confinement. I got a Grey at about the same time as my manager at work. His Grey is home alone with a TV for companionship from 8-6pm M-F. He's already having trouble with plucking and behavioral issues. Mine is at home with my wife and a Caique. She (my Grey) wants to fight with the Caique when they are together but when they are apart they contact call and really want to be together. Typical 'siblings'. I really think they do better with a buddy bird, even of different species, if you can't be with them.

Don't discount a Caique. They are AMAZING birds. I love my Grey and I love my Caique in very different ways. The Caique is a much better cage bird. Ours is perfectly fine in his cage raging on his toys all day long whereas my Grey will solemnly sit there and wait for her out of cage time. I know this because I have a camera and when my wife is away she will lock them up as I don't trust them together without supervision.

You might also look at one of the Poicephalus birds. They are great apartment birds too. Some of the best.

I have always done everything in doubles or triples. Three birds of different species within just a few months, dogs always with a very senior then one or two new pups.We have lost a pup and bird this year. A MAJOR loss.As everyone got along... they are all feeling the loss.Looking to me for answers.I'm not sure if I can keepup with the " pact" mentality that we have always have had. I think I want them all to focus on each other for now. Nancy

Looking after the physical needs of the birdie is the most minor of the needs to be fulfilled.

The mental needs and emotional needs of the birdie must also be taken care of.

Listen to your heart as you go about the bird shops or breeders. I think I must have seen about 20 to 30 birdie when I came across Tinkerbell.

There and then, I knew she was mine, and there and then, I knew her name.

She lived with me and she flew with me in the apartment and the countryside of Taiwan

Perhaps what I wrote here might give you an idea of how to live with a flighted cag.

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/8284.html

And perhaps you might like to do that too.

And the most important post I ever made on grey, and which might help you decide if living with a grey is for you.

Rant 03 (a flighted parrot mentality) & Understanding the mind of your grey

Great intro and thoughtful approach-rather Grey like in my view. You will do great no matter what species you end up with I think the right bird might just select you if you visit a few and spend a little time with them.

You might also consider the "other Grey Parrot" the Vasa http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-species/profiles/greater-vasa-parrot-2.aspx

A good friend of mine has one and they are affectionate as well as quiet for a parrot, price runs higher than a Congo or Timneh Grey but my friend who has lived with many Parrots from Quakers to Macaws has nothing but glowing things to say about her Vasa. I live with four Greys and each one is very different in what they enjoy, allow, prefer and sounds they make. One is very affectionate, one is aloof, one is aggressive with me and one invites head scratches while caged and ignores me when loose in the house always gravitates towards my adult son.

Welcome to our Greyt Family! As Dan said, there is no other way to put it...you are hired!! After such an in-depth post, I can see you have given this a lot of thought. Not many people do put that kind of research and effort into their choices for a companion, so hat's off to you!

The others have offered you great advice and thoughts. I feel you would be a wonderful owner to a grey. Just remember as time goes on and you start your life: girlfriend/wife, perhaps kids and other pets. Your grey or any other parrot will ALWAYS have to be in your life. As life changes, they will adapt, but you need to make the commitment that they will have a forever home with you no matter what the potential wife if given thinks...(Just my opinion)

I did want to mention that I have 3 parrots, I was a stay at home mom with 4 kids, got divorced, moved into another house, acquired more pets (dogs, cats) and was home most of the time, my birds were out most of the days with me. Fast forward several years later, I work away from home full time, so they are now in their cages much of the day. I let them out for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the am for breakfast and play time. Then they go into their cages for the day and come out around 5 -5:30 until bedtime. Of course the weekends, they are out most of the time during the day. I was concerned about the change in schedules and lack of out of cage time that they were so used to all their lives, but they adapted very well. I leave videos, tv, and or music on for them. So if your work schedule changes, your bird will adapt just fine as long as it has time out with you..

Please keep us updated. An feel free to post and ask any questions.

I do think that as others have mentioned, I am not sure how a grey alone does all day.. when I had only one, she yearned to be let out of her cage and be with us. I feel it is easier for my 3 now even tho they are of different species to be caged all day, they don't play together much, but do like to be together in the same room.

Wow JeffNok, Gracie sounds amazing! Such a great relationship you have with her.

Well I was asked what made the relationship "amazing" without physical affection, so I tried to share the wonderful things we share. I hope I didn't paint too glowing a picture of our relationship, however. Gracie, like any parrot, can be a stinker. She loves to dump her food bowl and throw food all over. During the time she perches on me for bonding time, she often poops on my shirt. When I take her to visit my parents she gets nippy and bites sometimes. She never bites at home--but somehow she gets bratty when traveling. Last Sunday I stayed at my parents' house with Gracie and she bit me pretty hard. When I got back from church later I showed her where her bite had broken the skin. She fluffed her feathers and said, "Ouchie! Gracie Bite!". No remorse. I think she felt proud of her handiwork.

I also worry that I spent a lot of time describing her language and talking skills. I do have to admit that her verbal communication really has enhanced our bond. It gives me insight into her mind and personality. But, I realize not all greys talk as much--or at all. Odds are they will talk--but there are no guarantees, and I wouldn't want anyone to expect that. Even if Gracie didn't talk so much--I know she would probably communicate just as well in other ways and our relationship would be the same. I don't want to glorify talking or make it seem like the grey's best quality. It isn't. Anyway--thanks for the comment. I hope the original poster finds the right bird for him. He seems like the kind of person that would provide a good home for a feathered friend.

Tonight Gracie melted my heart a bit. It has been a long cold winter and spring is just beginning to burst forth. Gracie and I haven't been to the park since early November on a warm Indian Summer day. Well, out of the blue Gracie said, "Gracie wanna go bye bye in car. Go to park. See birdies. See people. Sunshine." I think she knows the seasons have changed and park time is coming.. She hasn't mentioned the park in months. I'm ready to go!

Edited by JeffNOK

Great intro and thoughtful approach-rather Grey like in my view. You will do great no matter what species you end up with I think the right bird might just select you if you visit a few and spend a little time with them.

You might also consider the "other Grey Parrot" the Vasa http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-species/profiles/greater-vasa-parrot-2.aspx

A good friend of mine has one and they are affectionate as well as quiet for a parrot, price runs higher than a Congo or Timneh Grey but my friend who has lived with many Parrots from Quakers to Macaws has nothing but glowing things to say about her Vasa. I live with four Greys and each one is very different in what they enjoy, allow, prefer and sounds they make. One is very affectionate, one is aloof, one is aggressive with me and one invites head scratches while caged and ignores me when loose in the house always gravitates towards my adult son.

I am also quite interested in Vasa parrots. Like you said, everything owners say about them is positive. Their appearance is striking. Some might find them dark and in sharp contrast to the stereotype of a colorful parrot like a Macaw, Sun Conure, or Rainbow Lorikeet , but I see dignity in their features. I read somewhere that the Vasa is the most ancient parrot and may be the "link" in evolution between raptors and parrots. I don't know if that is true, but they are intriguing. They do seem to be pricey and difficult to find (like the Cape/Uncape/Grey Headed Parrot I mentioned in an earlier post.). Some say they are very good talkers and very intelligent. I have never seen one in real life--but I would love to.

I will probably always be a one bird man--but in the "aviary of my dreams" I imagine a Vasa Parrot perched next to my Palm Cockatoo and Hyacinth Macaw.

Hi there. Just want to chime in with my personal experience. My Toulouse is a TAG at 1 1/2 years old now. Got him as a baby and did the typical parent/owner approach for encouraging a bond with him.. They are very trusting souls so it was not hard to establish a relationship. My work routine requires me to be absent 7:30 to 3:30 but on some occasions as a teacher I have to keep longer hours. Toulouse seems to tolerate my absences. I try to keep his cage full of toys, recently I added a foraging toy. Of course I would love to do more but I need to work for the family which includes keeping Toulouse well fed and healthy. Best of luck with your choice...greys rock!

I thank you guys for all of your good answers. It is very interesting. Here's what I decided to do, since two families of bird are interesting me at the moment (greys and macaws):

* I keep going to the petshop to spend time with their greenwing Rio and their greys. They have babies but I am trying to hang out with the adult, because I know we just can't compare a baby that always want to be cuddled with an adult that has its own likes and dislikes.

* I am fortunate enough that there is an aviary conference being held in my city. I have already planed to spend time with people that have parrot sitting businesses, breeders, shelters, etc.

* I will establish a bond with these people so that I can gain hand on experience with these two types of bird before I make a choice of which will come home first.

* As of the when, I'll let summer fly by, I will live my first U.S. tax season and from there I'll know what kind of time I have in my life.

I am happy about the way I am doing things. It's the first time in my life that I am being THAT thorough about a commitment (as I didn't do so with my quaker), and I am sure I will end up doing a good job once I am sure.

I like what a member said about providing a FOREVER home. Even then, I will create myself a social network of parrot lovers so that if one day, by the most unfortunate of circumstances I had to rehome my bird, I would have a network of caring people that could end up wanting to adopt it instead of having him end up on craigslist.

Now I got to spend time with adult greys as like I said and think, babies can't be used to make myself an idea.

Thank you all for your great insight:)

Oh and by the way, my roommate as a quaker that he might end up bringing. Would that change the situation? As my prospective companion could have a little buddy to chatter with?

Best day to you all, don't forget to not file your taxes late, the IRS got some nasty penalties for late filling! (especially businesses!!)

Here's another question I have:

Should I end up working 55h+ a week and still want a parrot, what are your thoughts about getting two of them in two separate cages?

Would that prevent boredom while I am away (which could end up being 11h+ a day), yet preserve my relationship with each of them?

I am just being theoretical and looking at all the options I could end up having.

Two different birds of different species is the way to go. Babies at the same time, is best scenario. Worked for us. An Orange winged Amazon and Sophie. We also had a rescue Sunconure that both babies took care of. I can't imagine two Greys.Fighting for dominance. I can't imagine ever having two Sophies! Greys tend to rule, no matter how young or new they are. Its what they do,. and they do it well and fairly.

Sophie established being dominant fairly quickly. She has always been fair in her decisions. Not only did she rule over birds, she also ruled the dogs. When I buy toys in bulk, she picks little for herself. She is always thinking whats best for the gang. Nancy

And how is their relationship with you? Are they still interested in you or do they end up ignoring you and form a closer bond with the other bird?

If I was to go that route, I'd get both babies at the same time indeed.