NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Isaac Update: Feathers Coming Back

Elvenking

Very true response Dan, thanks. As for my feelings about Issac and Elvenking. This is one parront and fid that I love to watch and read about. They so love each other it is a joy to watch and read about. The last thing we want to do is break a grey's spirit. Greys are so intelligent and so want to learn from us and yes, teach us too.

Looking forward to hearing about Issac's full recovery from his little burp.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dee gave a GreYt response.

...No one can control if a bird starts plucking and it has nothing to do with rescues. All they can do is try as hard as they can to figure why it started, check on any underlying health issues and lastly do everything in the world to help stop it.

But I do think there's an underlying misconception & it's a very valuable part of the discussion about this issue. At some level it's just very hard to embrace the idea that things can go so horribly wrong if we're doing everything right.

I admit there are times when I feel sure this is all my fault & I turn all that mental anguish & negative emotion inward. "Shoulda, woulda, coulda ... five years & counting... really...?!?" Just beating myself up until I get it out of my system, I guess.

When I'm in my right mind (or whatever's left of it) I do know it's unjustified & counterproductive. But some days it doesn't take much & I cannot keep from falling into that dark place.

I can't really expect everyone to understand. Some people may get it & some people won't; like anything else. It's another intrinsically painful part of the whole experience.

Every day w/a semi-nude fid is an open wound. Please be very gentle.

Edited by birdhouse

I fell terrible guys. It was Stephen's post about Isaac and I let my emotions take charge. Isaac looks GREAT and it should have been all about him. I am proud of Isaac and dad, as I know we all are.Sorry Stephen and Isaac. I don't recall me being " insane", on the playground when my kids were little! I use to think all the other moms were crazy with their " over protectiveness" ! What have I turned into? Nancy

Unfortunately, plucking starts for no seeming reason. We all, I would think, look inwards at what did we do to cause the behavior. Many times, it is not the bird owner, it is the bird. This is well documented and even the best avian vets in the world admits it is sometimes a mental idiosyncrasy that happens in captivity and cannot be overcome. Even with that data, us loving bird owners will always keep trying to help in any way we can to stop it or at least slow it down until our last dying breath. Yet, no matter what, we still love them just as much regardless and treat them as if their is no imperfection, just as we handicapped children that will remain that way the rest of their lives. You never know, sometimes a breakthrough is made years down the road that helps. The bottom line is hope never fails, we have noting else to hang on to in my opinion. But, yes we all beat ourselves up at times thinking "What if?......".

Thank you Nancy. I think we are all in agreement that its an emotionally charged issue and we want to stand beside Stephen as he and Isaac figure things out and put this behind them and watch as Isaac returns from a temporary change that he is so intuitive that he went into a tailspin so to speak. Team Isaac is putting all the pieces together and the best news of all is Isaacs can do attitude. He remains energetic and tuned in and happy. He is a fine tuned poopin' machine.

What really amazes me here is that this discussion, though touching on some emotionally charged points and differing opinions, has remained respectful and civil.

I fully agree that plucking, like any other behavior - or even health problem - can occur beyond our best efforts to be good "parronts".

I do not have any pluckers (yet) but I can relate to that feeling of helplessness in watching a bird begin to pluck - as I watched my boy go from a perfect, handsome, healthy three year old to holding his dead body in my arms and wondering what I did wrong -- all in less than one month. Despite the vet visits and hospitalizations. Despite trying everything to get him to eat. Despite medication twice a day. Nothing helped. As we play detectives and search for answers, I mull the evidence and wonder if it was that cheap food I decided to use up instead of tossing. Could that corn in it have been contaminated? From the massive amounts of research we have done we are sure that fast as he went downhill, he had to have ingested a large amount of spores. Or maybe that bag of food that I accidentally got that had peanuts in the mix - I could have sworn I removed them all. Could I have missed one that was full of spores?

I could beat myself up and torture myself with this - but it wouldn't do anything but make me cry more than I already do, and believe me when I say I am already way over the too much crying limit. I keep going back to the words of my stepmother - everything happens for a reason. I believe God has His own purpose in the trials we face in our lives. If I still had Mar, who knows where Peck might have ended up. Or how long we'd have dragged our feet on starting the rescue.

The bottom line is, no matter what goes on with our feathered babies - be it illness, behavior or injury - all we can do is do our best, and beyond that, we can only pray for healing and continue to use any experience that comes our way to learn and grow.

Stephen, I pray your boy will be back to full feather soon and that your health continues to improve as well.

Wow...this really took off. It's all okay though. The thing to remember is that each one of us has a very unique relationship with our little companions. Take Isaac for example. He loves cups. Man...I cannot describe to you how nuts this little guy goes over the same pink cup (well getting pretty tattered now). He stands it up, knocks it down, stands on top of it...stands on the side of it....spins it....flips it in the air....slides it across the surfaces of various things to hear the noise and copy it himself....he sticks his head in it and "HOOT"s....He flys with it...drops it in flight....flys up to the glass table and spins around on it flapping his wings wildly. Does anyone else's bird do that??? Probably not....but maybe. Likewise, the way we care for our friends.....all in a positive direction...but different as well. I appreciate all the suggestions. This kind of thing takes a while to figure out. Maybe Isaac is back on his way to get feathers back....we'll see. I am hopeful. Other than that...Issac is no bird to pity...he is a super happy parrot...that I can promise. :)

As for my health....I am certainly fine. No need to worry about me.

Edited by Elvenking

:) Maybe you could add that vid link of Isaac w/his cup on the table, to your post. Or make another one. (hint, hint). He was having such a ball getting one heck of a work out!

After you posted that vid I got a cup for Phenix. I'd give him paper cups to tear up basically. He loves to drink out of real cups but I never thought to give him one to play with. Maybe because I'm always chasing him away from whatever he's not supposed to be drinking. lol

But Isaac was having such fun I gave Phenix his plastic play cup. He's a little older & maybe a little less boisterous w/his. He only smashes it all around his cage like mad, until it gets loose on the floor. Then either I'm supposed to play fetch or he drags it to his man cave to bash around under the couch. He loves his cup, too.

Glad it's all good w/you guys. Almost time for some pics, isn't it?

The cup didn't do it for Timber but a dark blue plastic straw does. Note that it has to be dark, blue and plastic, no other straw will work. He gets almost frantic in his play with it. He will throw it to the floor, hop out of his cage and chase it all over the kitchen floor. Pretending it is a baby snake perhaps? Who knows, but he loves it! When he is finished beating the straw into submission, he climbs back on the cage with it and scratches his head with a chewed end. I've tried to video a few times but by the time I was ready he was finished. I'll try harder!

Edited by Timbersmom

birdhouse... first, I want to apologize. I can see why you thought when I said " I won't tolerate" Sophie overpreening, as I wouldn't love or accept her anymore. You know I love my girl, and if she did pull every feather out, that would never change. I am lucky, she has never pulled her feathers out. I meant that if Sophie starts overpreening after so many years being here, I wouldn't tolerate it! I would do everything I could do, to figure out what was going on. There are times outside of molt season, she will overpreen. I can't spritz her or shower her more than once a month. I get out my vaporizer, run distilled water, put it in the kitchen and I get wet. I act like I enjoy it, and she wants to be part of it! LOL! She checks it out, gets wet and annoyed. BUT... as I continue to enjoy my bath, she comes back for more! LOL! Nancy...1 point, Sophie....0. YOU are a fantastic parrent, and if your bird is bald, that doesn't matter! I know parrents aren't responsible for their bird plucking. It is a 50/50 chance. NEVER think it is your fault that your bird has plucked his feathers!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have done everything right. Nancy

birdhouse... first, I want to apologize. I can see why you thought when I said " I won't tolerate" Sophie overpreening, as I wouldn't love or accept her anymore.

That really wasn't me. Honest.

I meant that if Sophie starts overpreening after so many years being here, I wouldn't tolerate it! I would do everything I could do, to figure out what was going on.

Still saying Sophie wouldn't become a plucker because you feel sure you would be able to recognize & control the situation. Maybe someone else will weigh in & say what we've been trying to in a way that makes better sense to you. But I'm at a loss here.

It's just so very important to me that nobody who's working thru this be given a reason to believe that they have failed if they can't achieve the impossible. That should remain a purely self-inflicted part of the problem (a little gallows humor there).

There is always a reason for a parrot's behavior. But bird keeping has a long way to go & we don't always know what makes these guys tick, let alone how to reset them when "someone trips over their perch" [Mistyparrot].

Edited by birdhouse

• 2 weeks later...

The way he is doing it...it is like areas are of particular trouble to him. What good things can I do for his skin? I just found that I can avoid major mutilation if I mist him while he is in his cage. He doesn't look like he is having the greatest time with it at first here....but he let me do it without trying to hurt himself in the cage. Bathing him has had its challenges so he gets them fairly infrequently, but this I can do.

More frequent Aloe juice & bathing might still do it. And he will probably get used to it ...eventually. lol I've also had some good luck giving Kura chamomile tea baths. Chamomile smells like apple & is a soothing herb whether used inside or out. So she also gets dried chamomile flowers to eat whenever she's at her worst. It doesn't really last too long. But it seems to break that focused determination to get after her feathers for just long enough.

Have you been able to get Isaac outside, yet? That's usually the big turning point for Kura. I don't know if it happens to coincide w/ a drop in raging hormones, alleviates the boredom &/or it's the vitamin D boost. But whatever, it works w/her so I'm passing it along.

Dave was also saying that Feather In is good stuff. So you might want to check this out.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?201304-New-To-Bird-Care-and-Have-lots-of-Questions!!!

More frequent Aloe juice & bathing might still do it. And he will probably get used to it ...eventually. lol I've also had some good luck giving Kura chamomile tea baths. Chamomile smells like apple & is a soothing herb whether used inside or out. So she also gets dried chamomile flowers to eat whenever she's at her worst. It doesn't really last too long. But it seems to break that focused determination to get after her feathers for just long enough.

Have you been able to get Isaac outside, yet? That's usually the big turning point for Kura. I don't know if it happens to coincide w/ a drop in raging hormones, alleviates the boredom &/or it's the vitamin D boost. But whatever, it works w/her so I'm passing it along.

Dave was also saying that Feather In is good stuff. So you might want to check this out.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?201304-New-To-Bird-Care-and-Have-lots-of-Questions!!!

I'll get some Aloe Juice and check out the Feather In stuff too. He will get feathers back soon enough. His left side looks really nice. I'll post pics later.

Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Juice With 99.8% Aloe, 1 gal is available at the major drug store chains around here. But the cheapest I've found is $6.44 at Walmart in the pharmaceuticals dept. I always have to ask for someone to look it up because they move it around No.: 004033016

If you decide to try the chamomile flower, I've been getting it at local grocery stores. The 3.5 oz bottle is more than enough to get us thru the season as it's about 3-4 cups volume.

http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Badia/Chamomile-Flower/3-50-oz/033844006358/

So...Isaac has been getting used to getting spayed with a spray bottle. I got one that you can adjust for fine mist and such and I dial it in so it isn't hitting him too hard or messy. He does show some efforts to avoid getting sprayed...and he will lunge toward the sprayer sometimes.....but I can get in there and get his tummy soaked good along with the wings too. He must not be too upset by it though, cause he starts singing and making his sounds shortly after. So he will keep getting those. He also gets an Avian lamp for sun nutrients. I can try to see if he would like to hang out in his travel cage for a little bit in the sunlight Not sure how many would be too much...but I have been getting him wet every other day lately...especially since it has been warm around here.

First you can see the rough spots still.....his right wing...and his tummy are the ones that are taking a bit longer. You can see some of his feathers on the right wing have been 'V'ed out kind of in spots. Good gawd please STOP that! LOL The rest of him is coming in great. I would settle for feathers all over his back and just a rough tummy at this point. However I do want to see him make a full recovery. Would love to be able to show pictures of him to other people again that aren't backdated.

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Looking good! You know, I have to wonder about that sunlight thing. That is one thing wild birds get in abundance and they do not pluck. It might be worth a try!

Well here is what I am thinking. I am now thinking about upgrading his cage.....then I could take his current cage....and set it up on my balcony. Then I would have an outside and an inside cage for his playing pleasure. We will get around to trying all these things....my boy is worth it. I wanna see his pretty feathers all back again. He is such a beautiful boy.

I just use an old cockatiel cage for Dorians' outside time. Since he isn't in it for too long at a stretch I don't worry as much about him not being able to spread both his wings. There's room for birdy tai chi, a couple of perches and a couple of toys. He spends most of the time looking around and barking at neighbourhood dogs anyway. Plus it folds down for storing in the winter, and I can get it into the car if I have to. Might save you some $.

Agree 200% on the natural sunshine, and fresh outdoor air. Now that it's warm enough, Inara goes outside with me for between 20-30 minutes in her travel cage. We both soak up a bit of natural vitamin D, and she gets a really nice change of scenery to boot. We have her old full sized cage that we had intended to move outside onto the deck. My only hesitation, is that we have tons of wild birds that come to our trees and deck and I'll have to rig some sort of cover for it when she is not actually in it, to protect it from any wild birds perching on top of it and leaving droppings in it. I may just roll her permanent cage in and out, and that would solve the problem. Her old cage is downstairs in our sun room (we have a solar home) and gets loads of sunlight. It's easy to raise the windows on nice days so she can get the unfiltered sunlight.

Isaac is looking smashing! He's doing so much better, and no doubt will continue to do so over time. He sure is your lovebug!

I believe outside time in the sunshine is key too. Mine love it and go berserk with playing and chatter. We ended up moving Greycie's large cage outdoors since I have to remove a door from the hinges to get it out of the birdroom to clean it. She uses that until we get the aviary completed.