NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Isaac Update: Feathers Coming Back

Elvenking

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each new feather looks pristine and perfect. He may "worry" one or two but it has to be a little distracting to him to have new sheath feathers, pinfeathers and changes to his plumage. He is a beautiful, patient boy. He really is coming along wonderfully and looking ever more his handsome self.

Yeah...even when he had all his feathers...you can always spot a few tattered ones in the bunch...so I wasn't too worried. I can tell it is not intentional. I still wake up to a cage floor without feather pieces. Just the regular bits of down here and there for normal preening. He is such a sweetheart for sure. I love the way he still comes to me and rubs his head on the side of my face affectionately. Sometimes, when I have my head close to his...he just presses his beak to my lips cause he knows I am gonna kiss him anyway. LOL. I am the only person in my apartment as far as living there, but with Isaac, I am certainly not alone. I talk to him constantly, and he pays attention. He eats with me....loves my baked chicken. Loves rice! He sits on my knee and watches TV (or preens) with me. He makes these cute little baby bird chirp sounds when I tell him, "I love you lil boyeeee"...even when I whisper to him when I put him to bed under his cover. Continuously bringing a smile to my face....as well as the frustrated ones of course when he is proving that he still can do a bit of what HE wants. After all, it is fun to piss me off I suppose. LOL. I get animated! HA! What a life it is with him for sure.

Isaac looks beautiful! LOVED the last picture of " I'm done daddy! NO more pictures!" Just let him know it is your right as a parent to take all the pictures you want. Nancy

He is pretty photogenic..hehehhe. You'd be surprised at how well he just sits there and poses.

I see this morning a couple tummy feathers in his dish. Not sure what this means. He still looks good all around..but I did see a couple feathers from his tummy for sure. Does anyone have any advice on this? Has anyone ever watched a grey get their feathers back before??

Edited by Elvenking

I see this morning a couple tummy feathers in his dish. Not sure what this means. He still looks good all around..but I did see a couple feathers from his tummy for sure. Does anyone have any advice on this? Has anyone ever watched a grey get their feathers back before??

I haven't, but I know their are others here that have. I believe Dave has been through this with a Grey he has taken in in the past. Maybe he will chime in.

Elvenking... from the pictures, you have soooo many new feathers coming in at the same time. You are going to see a few be eliminated. BE CAREFUL! If you obscess.. you are going to see many more! Greys pickup on your anxiety.Take a deep breath... continue to do what you are doing and remind your baby how beautiful they look! Sophie thinks she is gorgeous... and while she is.... I get a kick at how she thinks she is " Gods gift to the world!" Nancy

Elvenking... from the pictures, you have soooo many new feathers coming in at the same time. You are going to see a few be eliminated. BE CAREFUL! If you obscess.. you are going to see many more! Greys pickup on your anxiety.Take a deep breath... continue to do what you are doing and remind your baby how beautiful they look! Sophie thinks she is gorgeous... and while she is.... I get a kick at how she thinks she is " Gods gift to the world!" Nancy

Isaac certainly knows I love him. I am quite animated with him and I don't let on my worry at all. I block it out good most of the time...but I can't say I don't get concerned and want to start askin' questions. I'll hold Isaac high in the air and say, "Look at the beeeaaauuuuutiful boooyyyeeeee". I think my daughter gets jealous to be honest.

I'll keep cool about it. I tell him he is beautiful...and then he does the wolf whistle. So he knows. ;)

Edited by Elvenking

Good to hear! Always ask questions! Some parents can't get past their anxiety, and the bird knows it and will chew feathers. You are going to do great. ( you already are!) As far as your daughter, LOL! My kids grew up with Sophie and I have been accused to this day, that I love her more than them. They are 19 and 23 and it is an ongoing joke with them. I always told them " She is forever four, and needs the guidance of a four year old." They are great kids and have a fantastic relationship with her. Couldn't have done it without them. Nancy

Cotay lets hers come and go. I have just come to the realization that although she is beautiful with the feathers, she is just as beautiful without. Plus with 2 other greys and her, it makes knowing who I am chasing around a little easier. Lol

I have been powerless to describe the thoughts I have had about Isaac and his little feather deal. Back in December when it started, I was crying on the phone to the vet worried sick when I saw him breaking them off. First a little spot on his chest...then onto the wings. I can't tell you the worry that came over me when I could not explain why he would do this. Everything else appears just like normal....he's happy...flying around being cute....being a pain in my ass. Yep...normal bird. When he finally looked like a little mangled poof ball just before he lost the very last bit of feathers....it was a tearful sight. I wanted to help him. It is still not really understood why. I did end up getting nasty appendicitis and sent to the hospital for a few days. I came back to Isaac as soon as I could....thinking about him lots. The part I will also be honest about is the fact that I did have feelings of resentment....a part of me hated the fact that he was doing this to himself. I mean...after all....I devote a huge chunk of my life to his...making sure he has everything that he needs...loving him up. I hated myself for having these thoughts...but I couldn't help but have a part of me that felt betrayed. It's totally irrational considering my love for Isaac. But there the thoughts were...I couldn't help them. Of course I wasn't taking these too seriously or thinking them for too long. Thoughts like these are more of a impulse reaction rather than well-formed conscious thought. More trying to move on and just be there for my little friend. I quickly moved into a position of....okay...well I will love him just the same even if they never come back. Then they start coming back....ha! It is pretty exciting to see them come back. He is still doing great for the most part. There are a few he has mangled as he did before. But the vast majority of them are filling in on his back now. There is still that weird evil part of me that gets that feeling when I see it still. Stop breakin' em off man...c'mon. It is strange how I would react that way and I wonder if others can relate. I know it is something he can't help...or doesn't understand.....for a quick moment....I am a bit annoyed by it. However love is a wonderful thing...it really is. I think you take thoughts like them and snuff them out for those you really love. And you never let on to ever having them. I think it is quite a beautiful mark when you can stuff something like that down for another person...or Grey :) So I wanted to share that because I think that the whole story presents something interesting.

Anyway...here is the lil dood. I only got 3 pics this week...more next week. His tummy feathers are still sort of fluffy....not how they are gonna go yet. But he is not intentionally trying to break em off in great numbers....just a few. His back is filling in...one wing has a couple tweaked ones....but overall still on the upswing. Watch him go....and root for feathers!

IMG_20140410_214128.jpg

IMG_20140410_214053.jpg

IMG_20140410_214140.jpg

Edited by Elvenking
  • Haha 1

I've felt like that w/Kura. Some days I think it's a kind of psychological defense. It's either get mad or just break down & cry. Other times, I'd have to agree w/you. She's so much smarter than this. How can she be wrecking herself like that!? Why can't I get her to stop? Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took years of trial & error to pretty much guess Kura's problem is hormones. 5 years, or I should say winters, of this cycle of destruction. Yep, there was some resentment along w/tears, frustration, pretty much the gambit of emotions. Ultimately, I've come to accept that I'm going to do the very best I can to find the magic combination. But in the meantime, I just have to understand that it's a process of trail & error which takes time. Whether I like it or not!

Isaac certainly has come a long way! Hopefully, this was a perfect storm that has passed. Feed him some extra protein (scrambled eggs, meat, fish, yogurt), get him out in the sun & get him as much humidity as you possibly can. He'll be looking better than ever pretty soon. Then you can both stop obsessing about his feathers & go back to goofing around. :)

Edited by birdhouse
  • Haha 1

Isaac is looking so much better! Thank you, for opening up your heart enough to confess to those fleeting feelings of resentment and frustration. That kind of honesty and transparency is so valuable as most of us can relate, whether we've had those from plucking situations, bites, or simply with birds who went from snugglers to aloof or those who despite our best efforts are slooooow to respond to our overtures. The test of a deep relationship is not who we are when things are going great, it's who we are when our loved one is no longer (in our eyes) perfect. Bravo for you, for sorting out those fleeting feelings that bubbled momentarily to the surface; for recognizing them, and for putting them away. But most of all, thank you for sharing those with the rest of us. You rock.

You need to relax and know that you are taking the very best care of Issac that anyone can. Have you thought perhaps that his plucking and actions have to do with the fact that you were "ill". I believe our greys/parrots can sense so much more than we can ever know. Perhaps Issac "felt" your illness and in his own way was reacting to his caring for you. The more you got upset about his plucking the more he reacted to your reaction. Relax and enjoy your sweet grey. He is very attuned to you. Calm and loving vibes are what he wants to see and feel just like always. Issac is a very handsome guy and I truly enjoy reading your posts about your feelings and his for you.

Elevinking its another day. You are feeling well,Isaac feathers are looking better.Now get back into parrenting mode. Redevelop your expectations and stick to it! We have all had setbacks, where our birds felt " lost" You get back in the saddle, restablish you are the parrent, they are the child, and pulling feathers is not appreciated.I have had many setbacks...fids started over preening. Once they knew I was okay... stopped their nonsense as they know I won't tolerate it. I may sound mean... but I am not. I just don't tolerate over preening. I DO recognize a molt now, and help them as best I can. Nancy

... pulling feathers is not appreciated.I have had many setbacks...fids started over preening. Once they knew I was okay... stopped their nonsense as they know I won't tolerate it. I may sound mean... but I am not. I just don't tolerate over preening.

Since I read this, I've tried very hard to forget it. But I can't & it literally makes a twisting stab in my gut every time it floats thru my head.

Saying, "I won't tolerate it.", is basically saying this hugely heartbreaking & complex problem is all about simple force of will. Any good owner would simply not allow their pet to suffer this problem.

No one can forbid their bird to pluck anymore than they could forbid them to develop cancer.

Owners can provide the very best diet, exercise, healthy environment, love & support. It does not matter. These types of heart breaking problems can & often do occur, thru no failure on the part of their people.

Edited by birdhouse

Stephen, I am with the others and with you to say I have those sinking feelings that I am not enough for Miss Gilbert, or guilt when she has a meltdown that I let her down somehow. What I have come to see recently is that it's not so much of a statement of "us" when she withdraws or damages her feathers in frustration. Rather, it has come to me, it is a statement of how incredibly intelligent they are and that they know they depend on us. Isaac didn't have a meltdown because of anything tangible or what you did or didn't do. My personal opinion is it a testament to his love and bond for you. For a very brief time he had the horror of your absence. His world revolves around your care and feedback of how wonderful he is in your life. It is probably a complex combination of things, including maturity with hormonal changes and springtime and more. Still, I have those same feelings sometimes when Miss Gilbert tries to bite me while I am feeding her, or when she backs away from me and gives me the stinkeye like I am Jack the Ripper. My husband reminds her often that I am the one making her gourmet meals, catering to her every comfort and need. Sometimes after a particular outburst from her I think "You ungrateful little &*%#!" using her word! It goes away. Isaac has already forgiven you and returned to his happy self. A few barberings here and there are to me like a human biting our nails, it started for one reason and reappears occasionally while you try to keep busy doing other things.

Since I read this, I've tried very hard to forget it. But I can't & it literally makes a twisting stab in my gut every time it floats thru my head.

Saying, "I won't tolerate it.", is basically saying this hugely heartbreaking & complex problem is all about simple force of will. Any good owner would simply not allow their pet to suffer this problem.

No one can forbid their bird to pluck anymore than they could forbid them to develop cancer.

Owners can provide the very best diet, exercise, healthy environment, love & support. It does not matter. These types of heart breaking problems can & often do occur, thru no failure on the part of their people.

I suspect that there are some birds this works with, and some it does not. Here is why.

With Marden and Megan, I raised them from babies, as if they were my human offspring. I was very consistent when teaching them boundaries and they learned - Mar quickly and Megan very reluctantly. Mar was easy. It took me a couple of hours and he knew "not yours" because he kept trying to rip my eyeglasses off my head. The breeder saw this and laughed and said "Good luck with that." But I kept up with correcting Mar. I said "NO, not yours" - first gently, then progressively firmer until we got to the "mommy voice". The glasses grabbing ceased, and did not ever start again. I have no doubt if he'd have been over-preening, I could have altered that behavior because of our deep bond and his respect towards me, and mine towards him.

With our other birds? Megan, I am not sure. There are behaviours that I have been able to alter with her. I can now get her off the top of the door without getting up, going over with a stick and physically picking her up. I say "Off the door, RIGHT NOW" and she flies back to her cage top. Why? Because she knows that if I get up, I get the step up stick, and once she is on it, she will promptly be put back in the cage for a nice time out. She knows this because this has been a consistent consequence of sitting on top of the door (taking bites out of it) from the first time she did it. But on the other hand, she bites the mesh on my chair repeatedly. I have tried everything I can think of. Time out does not work. And she will do it, then say "Don't bite chair! You're gonna go in time out." (Duh?) I am not sure what is so addictive about snapping those threads of the mesh between her beak. It is very clear she knows what is going to happen. She just can't seem to help herself. After Mar died, I prayed she would not start plucking. Thank God, those prayers were answered and she has not. I am just not sure if I could deter that behaviour, either.

With Auna, Nava, Lora and Noah? Well... sometimes they will do what I request, sometimes they will lead me on a merry chase. If one of them were to begin plucking? I'd probably be completely powerless to control it because I lack authority with them. Auna is very close to wild. I don't put the kind of expectations on her, because I know she grew up somewhere else, and in terrible conditions. The babies follow her lead. And Nava did over-preen for a long time. I would distract her when I caught her, usually by giving her a treat to get her attention focused on me, then something else to chew. She's pretty much stopped. But as far as enforcing it? I don't enforce anything with those birds. They do as they please most of the time except for having to return to their cages when it is time.

Each one has their own personality. Believe it or not, Maks, the psycho cockatiel, is probably one of the more obedient. I can "remote control" that bird. He's out in the room with me a lot. He gets into things he should not, like knocking the little resin statues off the hutch over my desk. Tonight, he was pushing one towards the edge and I looked up and said "You stop that. That's not yours." He immediately stopped and I held up my hand and recalled him which he did immediately. How can such a little stinker be so readily obedient? He's an enigma.

Even Peck shocked me tonight. He decided to get down on the floor in the kitchen, mostly likely hoping to ambush a dog or my leg. I put the gate up across the doorway to the hall, locking the dogs out of the kitchen. I then closed the laundry room door. He turned and headed for the dog dishes. I looked at him and said "Peck, no, that's not yours." He looked up at me with the most serious look, then turned and walked the opposite way. I thought my dentures were going to hit the floor, my jaw dropped so hard. I didn't expect that.

Some people and some birds have the kind of relationship that allows a measure of control. I think a lot depends on the consistency of the discipline, and the personality of the bird. If the bird comes to a point where the urge to pluck is so overwhelming, just as with Megan biting my chair, that behaviour will continue and I don't think it's anything to fault their human caregiver with.

Just my opinion here...

birdhouse... I meant what I said. For my birds only. I do not, and will not tolerate their over preening. They are not rescues . They are educated, trained and loved. If they are over plucking, thats an issue that needs to be explored. Dry skin? Bored? I will explore all their issues. But no....they are not allowed to overpreen. Of course I love them to death, they are spoiled. I don't wait for the bird to tell me what is wrong. Can I put three birds of different origins in one cage to go get trimmed? Yes. They all have learned to love each other. If I adopted a bald bird, could I do what I do? No. Nancy

There is a reason plucking is such an emotionally charged issue. Just look at the rescues that have the parrots rejected because the caretaker couldn't control it not bear to see it and be judged by others that they were abusing or neglecting their beloved companion. Please bear in mind this is Stephen's thread for journaling this potentially painful time in his life with Isaac and the recovery and they both need all the support we can elicit from deep in our hearts. Debating whether we could tolerate it if our bird was a plucker may not be especially helpful when we don't have a plucker is akin to debating if someone with a migraine is really in pain or if they should be able to send it away at will. Maybe someone who feels strongly about it could search to see if we have a thread on plucking or start one that is generic and keep this one from getting hijacked from its intent and purpose. Isaac had a trauma when Stephen was hospitalized. This is a one time situation that is taking care of itself naturally with vet care and encouragement. Lets pull together and support that to enhance the relationship of forum family.

birdhouse... I meant what I said. For my birds only. I do not, and will not tolerate their over preening. They are not rescues

Dee gave a GreYt response.

Nancy - No one can control if a bird starts plucking and it has nothing to do with rescues. All they can do is try as hard as they can to figure why it started, check on any underlying health issues and lastly do everything in the world to help stop it. That is exactly what Stephen has done. in my opinion, you are living in a fantasy world based on your comments.