NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Recipe from everythingbirds

Timbersmom

I saw this and thought it was something Timber might actually eat! Thought I'd share...

Sweet Potato Sushi Roll Up!

Wavy Lasagna Pasta - cooked al dante

1 lg cooked and mashed sweet potato

1 cup cooked brown rice well drained/air dried.

1/4 cup crushed walnut

1/4 cup cooked broccoli Florette rounds

Mix sweet potato, brown rice, walnut and broccoli.

Lay out wavy lasagna pasta. Spread sweet potato mix on the full length and width of the pasta and roll up. Serving size and amounts depend on your bird's taste. You can spread thin, or thick as they please. Cut "sushi rolls" into lengths to best fit your birds face and feet.

Place on parchment paper on cookie sheet and bake at 250 for 10-15 minutes. The idea is to "harden off" the pasta, not cook anything.

Let cool.

Serve.

What a great idea, thanks so much for posting it. I am just getting to the phase when Gilbert might be interested in trying new food. It will be a great way to use up some leftover rice and I do believe I may mash in a little peanutbutter. Thanks for the idea.

This is such a great idea. I tried it, but I stead of sweet potatoe, I useda variety of veggies. I couldn't keep it rolled up, and when I did roll it, the veggies fell out. I ended up putting another lasagna noodle on top like a sandwich and folding it in half. I will cut it up to serve it but it just falls apart..

You all just keep coming up with good ideas. I haven't tried it yet, but was thinking of using Ziti because it would be smaller and they could hold it in their talons. I have cake decorating tips to pipe the filling inside, but cutting the corner of a plastic back might work just as well. My birds haven't taken to the dry raw pasta, but cooking it and filling it might be a new approach to try again.

I was thinking the same. For a grey, the whole roll is a little large. I had thought of using another type, like ziti, or cutting the lasagna strips in half to make them smaller next time. Timber won't eat uncooked either, and the ones like that I tried stuffing for him were a total failure.

I guess I need to use a paste spread to keep it together..my noodles just pop open even with a little. I managed to cut it up and put it in their bowls anyways. I will see what they ate when I get home from work. I give them a variety of cooked veggies almost every day with either pasta, rice or quinoa, and a few breadsticks or pieces of rolls, so they pick thru it always.