NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The cage was "too big"

kpflynn

It was totally my idea to get a grey parrot. My wife will usually go along with my crazy ideas. I finally found a grey for sale at a pet store 150 miles away. The bird cost just under $2,000. When buying a bird at this pet store they will sell you a cage at 50% off. My wife is from Thailand and loves to haggle and get something extra for free. The only cage they had was a huge cage with a play area on top. My wife didn't want to buy a cage somewhere else and miss out on the 50% off deal. She also did not want that messy bird in her house, especially the living room! When we got the cage home and assembled, we realized the only place it would fit in our house was a spot between the living room and the kitchen. I convinced my wife that this would just be temporary. We've had Beautiful for over two months now. I think my wife has finally fallen in love with her. I do my best to keep the area clean. She keeps us constantly entertained by imitating the dog barking and by asking, "What are you doing?" every time we leave the room. We spend almost all of our waking hours in the kitchen or living room. I'm so glad we got a cage that was too big!

Here I was thinking, my cage is too big and thought you found a solution. Congratulations on making Beautiful a focal point in your home and in your lives. Now I want to discover the secret in getting my husband to be the one to clean the cage and think its his idea. I think I need to speak to your wife. LOL.

Happy to hear things are going so well for you! I was the one who wanted a bird. My husband was "neutral" for lack of a better word. Now, he is just as likely as I am to say "does that bird need anything ordered?" He spends slightly less time than I do checking Timber's droppings and general appearance, but he's catching up ;)

My wife is totally on board with owning a parrot now. She buys her special things at the grocery store and is always looking for things to use for toys. Sometimes she records the bird's antics on her phone while I'm at work. My parrot still won't let my wife touch her yet. She will stand on my wife's knee and accept snacks though. I think my wife is still too worried about getting bit. To my knowledge, my sweet little parrot has never bit anyone. My bird loves to be handled by me.

Through my experience, first cage, should be a " forever home". Investigate...make a decision for a forever home, from the start. Greys don't adjust well to a change in their home. Sophie has done so to an upgrade, but it was hard and took more than a year. I would suggest with a " forever home", they can grow into... Nancy