NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Time out of the cage ?

mervyn2233

Hi guys i am just wondering if my cag is getting enough time out of the cage , My wife and i are very busy at the moment with work and family commitments more now then what we were when we bought our baby "lucky" .I do know that they need as much time out of the cage as possible but we are very limited at the moment im just afraid he is not getting enough ,he is on average out of the cage for 1.5 hours a day but gets lots of attention in the cage by kids or who ever is around so he seems quiet happy im just concerned hes not getting enough ,anyone any ideas ?

mervyn

Some days mine don't get out at all. I rotate toys in the cage every week with different ones so my baby does not get bored.

I also have a large cage. Big enough for wingflapping without hitting a toy. I keep three toys in there at all times. Que seems to be just fine. Yes they need out time but they don't have to be out all the time. Thank goodness cause with four pets that don't get along it is just not possible for mine to be out all the time.

Good luck

Thats good to know like i said when we can we leave him out of the cage as im the only one that will handle him he is dependent on me arriving home from work to leave him out .So like i said he gets in around 1.5 hours a day but he gets a lot of affection from the kids and my wife who are always talking to him through out the day plus i have 3 toys in the cage along with 3 perches that i move around for him and the cage is a good size for him to stretch .I assume id know from his behaviour if he wasnt getting out of the cage enough .

Hi mervyn,

It seems like a routine schedule, which is the most importaant thing. 1.5 hours of quality time with your Grey is plenty on top of the outside of cage friends dropping by to initeract with him also. :-)

It's always great to hear from such a responsible and concerned Parront such as yourself!!

I do think the schedule is the most important for your CAG.

I think that you are doing a good job. I am a mom of 5 and go to school full time but here is a suggestion that has helped my family, I got a play gym on wheels and it seems to really help because then he can be out with the family but in a safe play area.

I also have a playstand on wheels. It's great because my son (13) who loves to stay in his room and play video games, gets home from school and will take Finni out and love on him for a minute, then he goes on to his stand and my son just wheels him in the room. Finni likes the company and plays on his stand and usually will get some after school snack as well! Both of birds are on their stands with the family whenever we are home. I think it would suck to have to sit another room and listen to your flock having fun without you. :dry:

Since I do not work as of right now, Izzie spends most of the time out of her cage to play on the top of the cage, to eat and to socialize with me. Now I am concern, if I will start at a new job, will it be stressful for her to stay in the cage longer while I am at work?

If you plan on getting a new job then I would start leaving her in the cage more and more so she is more used to the longer caged time. I work during the day and Josey is home alone for better than 9 hours a day but she has her toys and the radio for company, and I let her out as soon as I get home. She spends most of the evening out on her playtop or on a portable playstand.

Yes, I have heard that routine is most important. It's funny because when we got Klaus I decided on a set routine that he would be out from 6:00 - 8:00 pm on worknights, when I get home from work. I would put him in at 8:00, then run around like a madwoman trying to do the daily chores. Klaus has since trained me that "out" time is from when I get home until I go to bed. :P

We do chores together. We're quite a team...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question about time being out of cage. Actually, my question is: should and is it ok to leave my baby with open door, so she can come out of her cage whenever she feels like while I am not at home? We have no other pets, no kids, she cannot fly, but if she jumps out of her cage, she knows how to climb back on it. I am not sure if it is a good idea.

Thanks!

I would imagine it would be fine as many people do that but there is one concern is if there are any household hazzards that may harm your baby in your abscence ie electric cables ,appliances , something that it may swallow you must consider all of the above and many more before deciding to leave your grey unattended to.

Again Lusya - No, never leave your Grey unattended when your not home. That's why we all have cages.

It is also NOT OK to leave you Grey unattended outside his Cage if you are leaving the room or going outside etc.

The only time it is ok, would be IF you actually had a "Bird Room" stripped of everything to make it completely safe and the bird could not exit that room.

• 6 months later...

that's good news to hear, that there can be days where the birds don't get out at all and don't self-destruct, i feel so guilty some days when the birds only get an hour or two, especially with all the news of this magical 'four hours' you read about. is there a way to get a bird used to spending time in the cage, my TAG often begins to pluck if he cannot come out when he feels like it. also, if the out of cage time varies some days how do you prevent the birds getting confused/stressed?