NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greenwing Macaw smelly poop

carolz7

I have spoken to some of the experts in the bird world and was told that macaws especially greenwings have smelly poop around this time of the year or should i say spring time. Is anyone else experiencing this with there birds.

I did take mine to the vet and he put him on antibiotics and told me to offer yogurt.

Would like to hear others opinions please

I have spoken to some of the experts in the bird world and was told that macaws especially greenwings have smelly poop around this time of the year or should i say spring time. Is anyone else experiencing this with there birds.

I did take mine to the vet and he put him on antibiotics and told me to offer yogurt.

Would like to hear others opinions please

Parrot poop should not smell. It is normally and indication of an GI infection. Bactriea stinks. Just because your bird doesn't act sick does not mean he is not sick. By the time birds show signs of illness they can be sick. or maybe has relapsed. He may just need another course of antibiotics, which you vet may be willing to give him if you call the vet and tell him what is happening. After all, the same thing happens with people. Diet can make a difference in how poop smells. If the diet is too high in protein the poop will be smelly. However, you do not indicate what you are feeding your bird. A macaw should have many large nuts in the diet. Nuts regulate a macaw's system. Your diet or something in the environment can be reinfecting your bird. I Call the vet and ask what he thinks about a refill.

You should try to calm your mom a bit. She doesn't have a very good attitude to have towards any animal that may be suffering. Sometimes, owning a large bird such as a macaw can be periodically messy.

I have owned and hand raised close to 500 birds, so i am very familiar with handling birds from small to large. I guess that my was my initial thought also, to call the vet and maybe do another round of antibiotics. I have always known that smelly poop is an alert of something not being right. Thanks i will get the call in and see what he says.

Murfchck, yes the smell is just awful i agree with you. It seems like you can smell it in every corner of my house. And may i say i have a huge house and you cannot imagine a bird smelling this bad, especially since you normally do not smell there droppings.

Will keep you all posted and see what is going on.

Also springtime has something to do with it but this bird is 10 years old and i have never had this problem before.

Good luck to you! Poor Bubba has been to the vet so much i think the vet named his new boat after him, "Bubba Mobile". lol Bubba has had crop issues and the breath goes from bad to sweet so often that when the poop smell changed i went into high gear with the panic. As it turned out, i had switched him from Zupreem Veggie to the fruit and that got his juices flowing, so to speak. I still feel like my house reeks of the smell, but i have scrubbed and sniffed his poo until i was blue in the face and nothing is left. I have even brought in neighbors to sniff around just in case because i was going nuts, nothing. It must just be something i will have to get past!! lol

Bubba went to the vet Saturday, his poo was bad again. They tested it for bacteria and found nothing, however his cyst thing was back and hanging out of his butt when the dr has Pat flip him over. Hemmroids... Really? I am now putting preperation h on his bumm. We spoke with a trainer this Sunday and she just laughed at us saying what we do for our babies! We were kinda worried at first about putting that on him but she reassured us it is pretty common. Fingers crassed we do not have to have them frozen off again. That was a nightmare.

• 8 months later...