NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm new here.. have a question too!

My name is John. I had a Grey Congo, his name was Jax. One day after having the new guy, I noticed he was scratching at the bottom of the cage an awful lot. When I let him out, he was a super cool and "normal" guy but as soon as I put him back in the cage, he would start burring his nose in the corner and digging away. Each day his digging got worse and worse to where he was getting his wings caught in between the bars. He would get himself caught in his toys and often tumbled to the bottom of the cage.

As soon as i opened the door he would rush out of the cage and want to be out and about. I was giving him a couple hr's a day out of the cage and I was home for most of the day within view. The breeder said he may have bonded with me too much and couldnt stand to be away from me. After one week, we decided to bring him back and try for a calmer one. I think it was the best choice for his own saftey and the stress I was enduring aswell.

I now have a female (unamed) I got her last night and put her straight into the cage. I left her alone and this morning I opened the door and left it up to her. She jumped out onto the floor and I put her up on the perch a top the cage for an hr. She flew over to me and I played with her for about 15min before I put her back into the cage. She imediatlly started scratching and doing like the last one but not soo bad.

From the research I've done on scratching. They are forging for food. The last one would do it on the carpet and it was quite hilarious actually, but I feel this crazing scratching, climbing, falling and getting caught is an attempt to escape the cage!?

I dont want her to get hurt. Should I let her out more? or should I ignore this behavior and hope she doesnt get hurt? I dont want to "over" bond with her or get her used to being out all the time either.

The cage is about 22"x22"x35" with 3/4" spacing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

My name is John. I had a Grey Congo, his name was Jax. One day after having the new guy, I noticed he was scratching at the bottom of the cage an awful lot. When I let him out, he was a super cool and "normal" guy but as soon as I put him back in the cage, he would start burring his nose in the corner and digging away. Each day his digging got worse and worse to where he was getting his wings caught in between the bars. He would get himself caught in his toys and often tumbled to the bottom of the cage.

As soon as i opened the door he would rush out of the cage and want to be out and about. I was giving him a couple hr's a day out of the cage and I was home for most of the day within view. The breeder said he may have bonded with me too much and couldnt stand to be away from me. After one week, we decided to bring him back and try for a calmer one. I think it was the best choice for his own saftey and the stress I was enduring aswell.

I now have a female (unamed) I got her last night and put her straight into the cage. I left her alone and this morning I opened the door and left it up to her. She jumped out onto the floor and I put her up on the perch a top the cage for an hr. She flew over to me and I played with her for about 15min before I put her back into the cage. She imediatlly started scratching and doing like the last one but not soo bad.

From the research I've done on scratching. They are forging for food. The last one would do it on the carpet and it was quite hilarious actually, but I feel this crazing scratching, climbing, falling and getting caught is an attempt to escape the cage!?

I dont want her to get hurt. Should I let her out more? or should I ignore this behavior and hope she doesnt get hurt? I dont want to "over" bond with her or get her used to being out all the time either.

The cage is about 22"x22"x35" with 3/4" spacing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

African Grey Parrots will "chicken scratch" at the bottom of their cage or on the carpet. This is a normal behavior for them as in the wild, they do this to loosen dirt and mud to search for food but that greatly decreases by the time when they reach 1 yr old.

Personally, I don't agree with the breeder. No grey gets intensely attached to a person or bonded after one day in a new house. They're usually curious about their new surroundings. The grey may have been doing this because of a habit or circumstance that went on at the breeder's home.

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the feeling that you don't have a grating on the bottom of the cage and if that's true, you need to get one in order for your bird not to step in feces, rotted food etc

Also-----a grey's normal sized cage is approx. 28"x 36" x 55" high. The measurements you gave are for various conure type species (much smaller bird)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/b9df4031-1866-4f24-a41c-b5fe0bffa458.jpg

Edited by Dave007

I was also going to mention that the cage is much to small for a Grey so not a surprise he was getting wings caught and then panicking. I can tell you want your bird to be happy and safe, that is very good so a cage as large as you can manage would be a great investment in your birds health & happiness. They need to have enough room to open their wings all the way and flap with out hitting the cage sides. Side to side room and depth front to back are more important than the height up and down, this will be your birds home where he or she should feel safe.

Edited by Greywings

I am thirding the cage size.

Also I saw that you only have her out for an hour or two and your home most of the day? Let that baby out to play please. Why keep her locked up? Most of us beg for extra time out for them but don't have a stay at home option. Even working my 7 are out 4 + hours each day and outside every chance they get.

Hi John, and welcome to you and your new companion, you've landed in a great place. Would love to hear more about your new gal. How old is she? Photos are always a bonus around here as we all love them :)

You've already received some great advice about your cage and the scratching. The only thing I would add is that some birds will chicken scratch at the bottom of their cage when they are scared. Do you have her cage placed where at least one side of it is up against a wall? This can help her feel secure as she then does not have to have 360 degree vigilance. Our Inara continued to frequently chicken scratch at her former home even at aged two. Her people would take her out of her cage when she would do that, so for her, it was an "I want out," signal. Once here, she was/is out of her cage frequently, and only displayed the scratching one time, and that was when I had moved her cage temporarily to what I thought (erroneously) would be a better place for it. She apparently disagreed. :)

Yes, it's great to have lots of out of cage time, but some birds really do prefer the environments within their cages when compared to just being on a perch in an open room for hours at a time which can be boring for them. You will get to know your own bird and her preferences.

Spend a lot of time reading through the various topics and older posts in this forum. It is a wealth of information, antics, and real life experience -- worth the time.

Hey guys, everythings been going great with my new girl Miley (not cyrus) :}

just one thing ive noticed is a little swelling on one side at the edge of her mouth. ive attached some pics.. should i be worried? im planning a trip to the vet soon. just researching the best one.

its on her left side

IMG_8918_zps5a625ac2.jpg

IMG_9274_zps7359e39a.jpg

IMG_2805_zpsacd5d978.jpg

Hi, congrats on getting a grey, she is adorable! To me, it looks like she bumped her head on something. If it doesn't get worse and she is acting normal and eating and drinking, she will prob be fine... But I am NOT a vet. Others will chime in also, if you don't feel comfortable and are worried, then def take her in.

I'd suggest phoning your avian vet, talking with her/him, and asking if you can e-send the photo for a quick look to see if an office visit is needed. Since it is the weekend do it immediately, so that you don't get caught on a Sunday with a sick bird.

It is not unusual for Timber to have an abrasion on his face. He gets them from rough play with toys and sometimes from scratching that area with his foot or on objects. I just watch them. However, if I ever suspected one wasn't looking better soon or looked questionable, I'd be hot footing it to the vet.

Welcome aboard, now enjoy the contents here. This is a strikingly creative board that has an incredible attraction to its regular comers to it, and it surely seems to all of us that this is a merry like place to have our most desired bliss; now anyway, 60 second binary options is also a neat link for visiting for a loved moment while for all for a period of great recreation to refresh our minds to accelerate our further actions next time; good luck for our beautiful parrots, happy parrot petting for all, bye.

Edited by parrotnme

John... After much thought... I think I owe you an apology.It bothered me all weekend what you had done... AND what I had said. You are a new parrent and want a great relationship with a grey. It is NOT your fault that you " don't know", how to develop the relationship. It is OUR job to help you. You have a Grey that you are committed to. So are we. Please give me and our site a second chance. I ruined it for you. I think you would be a great asset to our site. I don't want to provide excuses for my behavior, but I just lost my bestfriend Zoey, a dog. I had to euthanize her Saturday at age eight. No excuses, but give me another chance, to help you with your bird. Nancy