NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HI from Dubai (UAE)

Hey All,

I am Fahad residing in Dubai from the past couple of years. I am an animal lover and fell in love with African grey parrot from the moment i have seen them at my friends place.

I am looking to get a African Grey in UAE. I had visited all the pet markets but it was very sad to see the condition in which the animals are kept there. Most of the animals there are caught wild or disease prone. I don't want to support these places , hence i am looking if someone can suggest me a breeder or a place where they sell disease free African Grey's.

Highly appreciate if anyone can guide me to get an african parrot :).

Thanks.

Hello Fahad and welcome to our family.

We have heard of the deplorable pet markets over there and the only way to stop the practice is to not buy from them, when they no longer have customers then the practice will stop. I commend you for looking elsewhere but sadly I can be of no help to you in that quest, I live in the states, keep looking though for there is bound to be some breeders you can get a healthy bird from.

Hello and welcome! I applaud your decision not to purchase a wild-caught grey. That is an awful practice. Like Judy, I am from the states and cannot help you. If memory serves, we have some forum members in your area. Hopefully one of them will see this and offer some advice! Good luck :)

Hello Fahad, welcome to our forum. We lived in Dubai for three years. It has been ten years since we returned to the US and like you, I was dismayed and appalled at the conditions and treatment toward living creatures in some of the souks. One of the things to consider in your search for a grey companion is the requirements of relocating to your home country to be sure you will be able to take your grey through the customs, quarantines and rules of both locations. When we were considering it, we discovered from seeking out information that we would not have been permitted to bring a grey back had we adopted one there at the time. Some countries require a long and expensive quarantine and some outright deny access to wild caught or grey without proper papers and proof of its origin. As much as your heart is leading you to bring a grey into your life, it would be devastating to leave behind a family member if you were caught unaware. My best of luck to you as you find your path to the grey companion you will have one day. I appreciate so much that you are joining us and doing some research to make the most of the opportunity you find.

Hello Fahad. Rather than the souks, have you tried looking up classified advertisements online? There are several that may or may not be current, and you might find a weaned Grey that way, or a slightly more mature bird whose owners are leaving the country, etc. I did a quick online search using the search terms, "African Grey breeder Dubai," and a few different resources appeared.

It speaks well of you to have come here to do some asking and some research before making a commitment to one of these incredible companions. If it is meant to be, you and the companion Grey with whom you are meant to share your life will find one another :)