NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Allergies

BaileysPapa

A friend bought a house about 2 years ago. Since she had more room, she expanded her flock, and adopted a Macaw and a Grey to keep her Cockatoo company. A little while later, she developed headaches, runny nose, and other cold like symptoms. She refused to believe she was allergic to the birds. But, after extensive testing, and further complications, it was assumed it must be the birds. She tried everything to minimize dander, air conditions, and even exposure to the birds. But, she got worse as time went on. So, about 8 months ago, she sadly & tearfully rehomed all of her birds. Her health did not improve very much. Two weeks ago, she & her husband decided to do some remodeling. When they tore down some walls, they discovered that her whole house is full of mold & mildew, between the walls, etc. A very common problem here in Florida. Her doctor has now established that she was reacting to the mold, and is probably not allergic to birds! She's just devastated. The birds are all in good, loving homes, and have adjusted to their new guardians, who love them very much. She's besides herself. I took two old Budgies from her, and have since returned them. But, she feels that it would not be fair to the big birds to even ask for them back. They've gone through rehoming to her, then rehoming from her, and she thinks that wouldn't be fair to them. Though, she would love to get them back. She has not approached their new guardians. What do you guys think about this?

Very sad, indeed. Here your friend thought she was doing everything possible to prevent this situation. I can only imagine her devastation at it all. If there is a silver lining, the mold issue could have developed into something very harmful to the birds also had they had continued exposure. I agree with the thoughts on contacting the current homes of the birds, being candid about the end result of it all, and asking that if they ever have to consider rehoming, for them to contact her first. Gosh, she has to feel at such a loss. Your understanding and friendship must mean a lot to her right now.

I would take one step back! Have your friend get tested for " bird allergies". Those more sensitive to mold and mildew, tend to have allergies to other animal dander.When asked to rescue our first bird that LOVED ryan, I got both my kids tested for bird dander. Negative. Positive to cat dander and specific dogs. Birds were okay. Hense... Sunny came home. It was so important to Ryan for Sunny to come home, I got tested as well. Negative.

I feel strongly, that people can't adopt any animal they are allergic too.I was allergic to my cat while growing up, and have NEVER forgot the asthma attacks I experienced.

Your friend should get tested... then approach the other families to see if they are interested in letting birds come home. Odds are not, and if birds are settled, that is what is important. Nancy

I know it's heartbreaking, but they still did the right thing because they got the birds out of an environment that could have made them very sick. After they get the mold problem solved maybe they can keep their ears,eyes, and hearts, open to find a bird in need that could be welcomed into their family