NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Old Man Jabber- Red Bellied Senior Rescue

Kizzybird

Hi-

Introducing Jabberwocky, a 20 year old red bellied that I adopted from our MN rescue organization.

His history from what I know- his original owner died, and he was placed in a rescue two years ago. He was cage aggressive and hated his rescue guardian, biting. He moved to a different rescue guardian who worked with him and got him less cage aggressive.

I visited the rescue home and he flew to me and began talking. His guardian said he has never done that before, so I knew that he chose me. I also saw a rainbow on the way to the rescue- I saw that as a sign!

Jabber is a sweet bird but hates the husband. He has attacked him twice and bit his ear causing a few ear piercings and man-shrieks that I hope I never hear again. In fact, Kizzy , my 16 month CAG, learned quite a few bad words from the incident, and still repeats them daily.

Jabber says I love you, My name is Jabber, why are you so sad, step UP!, NO NO NO and shakes his head when he doesn't want something. He yells, Kizzy! , coughs and meows . He is adorable !

I'm sorry for the sideways pics. I went to a different picture host and it turns the pictures. ugh.

2qs88jm.jpg

14to7j4.jpg

2usad5y.jpg

Edited by Kizzybird

Oh be still my heart, this posting made me tear up just looking at his pictures. I just love his name too. Our little seven and half year old red bellied hen Java is really going to enjoy posts and I know she will be smitten with an older man. It was Java that led us to find our greys. You are really going to enjoy the personality and energy Jabberwocky brings to your family, man-screams notwithstanding. I have only heard heard my husband raise his voice twice in 35 years and both times it was a Java incident. To be fair, she has some parrot rules that he scoffed at and he is a lot more likely to conform now. Once he had her on his shoulder and reached right into her cage without telling her what he was doing and she bit his cheek. Her smaller size might give someone the idea her bite isn't going to be as bad as our greys, but that would be a one time mistake to make. The second one was right up his nostril and it pierced all the way through. However, they have made their peace and he is just as able to hold her and interact almost as much as I can. She will let me scratch under her neck and kiss her on top of the head, but no one else is given those privileges. It is a happy happy joyful day for me to read your post and meet your new man. Jabberwocky. I won't be able to stop saying it now.

Oh be still my heart, this posting made me tear up just looking at his pictures. It is a happy happy joyful day for me to read your post and meet your new man. Jabberwocky. I won't be able to stop saying it now.

Thanks! Reading your Java and Miss Gilbert threads encouraged me to visit the Rescue- I would say that if it wasn't for you, we would not have the little old man!

• Haha 1

I believe that's a Poi? If so, she probably has a bite like our Raven did. Smallest bird of our biggies but with a tremendous clamp for a beak. She's the only one that has made me dance trying to get my finger back. Cute bird!

You are correct on the Poi and spot on with the clamp for a beak! Jabber bit the stuffing out of the hubby's ear- he said the cartilage snapped like potato chips.

Jabber has not bitten me but when he doesn't want back in his cage, he grabs my finger and applies a strong pressure that makes me afraid- if he so chose, he could really do damage!

I am more respectful of that little guy's beak than I am of Kizzy's. And while both are out now at the same time, I do not let them get close to each other. Same with the husband- he is not allowed in the same room with Jabber when he's out. He must go to his man cave. LOL

That just warms my heart. I am very partial to Java and she offers something different from Gilbert and equally wonderful. She is a cuddly and sweet little character and she also has a fierceness and sense of who she is in the world. When we first got her, I joked that when she looked in the mirror she saw a four hundred pound gorilla looking back. She is fearless. She does have a tendency to bluff and test every new person or creature in our home and inspires fear and awe. I love her red eyes and let newcomers know that when they see all red, it is a warning. I think Jabberwocky has the same potential. At the same time the red bellied parrot is a bit of a stand up comic. Eliciting laughter seems to be the greatest currency they can earn. On the other side of the coin, I think that tiny little package of parrot is capable of home protection on the order of a pack of dobermans combined with an arsenal of your choice. I am ever more grateful that I am her chosen one because otherwise she could scare the cotton right out of my socks. LOL. I so look forward to hearing how Jabberwocky comes to steal the heart of your husband after their initial encounters. The ear bite was definitely backing up his bluff.

• 7 months later...

How is Jabberwocky doing? Has he learned new words? Has he made peace with your husband? Java has also pierced my hubby's ear, nose, cheek and lip on separate occasions. They now are on guarded but fair terms. He is such a beauty. He holds his head and lets you touch his beak in the same way as Java. How does he get along with Kizzy?

How is Jabberwocky doing? Has he learned new words? Has he made peace with your husband? Java has also pierced my hubby's ear, nose, cheek and lip on separate occasions. They now are on guarded but fair terms. He is such a beauty. He holds his head and lets you touch his beak in the same way as Java. How does he get along with Kizzy?

Jabber is doing very well, thanks for asking! He stays busy chewing boxes and toys all day. We joke that he wakes up and "goes to work." When I give him a new box, he says, OOOH!

He and Kizzy are in separate cages next to each other, but I must always watch them when they are out together, as Jabber can be aggressive. Jabber LOVES me and is very possessive. I have not had Jabber out when the husband is around, because I believe he would attack him again! When Todd walks through the room to go downstairs to his man cave, Jabber flies over to the staircase and peers down, as if he wants to chase him!

Jabber loves to dance and listen to music. He is very affectionate with me and has never bitten me (yet!) . He has picked up a few words in his cartoon voice but isn't as vocal as when I first got him.

Such a sweet bird! The foster parrot organization called me and asked if I would be interested in another red belly that the owner gave up, and I declined, only due to not having any more space for a cage. If I could, I would have a flock of them! They are silly, funny and loving birds!

Is Toby your Caique? The way you describe him is similar to Java. She has been determined to drive every intruder from our home. At any given time that has been our cats, dogs, kids, friends, neighbors, my husband, a foster cockatiel and all three of our greys. She is eight years old if they were honest about her age when we got her. I have my doubts, she seemed a lot older than four months. She has always been real sweet to me and has bitten me when she was startled. She has a powerful, fearsome bite worse than Gilbert's. Funny you say he goes to work. Java gets on top of the refrigerator and when I as what she is doing up there she says "I'm working". She doesn't talk as often as Gilbert but when she chimes in to join a conversation, it is spot on and always really amazing and funny. I'm so glad you took a chance on Jabber and he surely loves you.

Yep, Toby is the Caique. My wife had a painter here last week. 10ft tall and bullet proof Toby decides to launch off his orbit from the other side of the living room and flies through a barrage of arms trying to swat him down as he heads for his target: the guys head. We had a time pulling him off because he wouldn't let go and the guy was a little panicked. It's the first time we've seen him attack someone as he doesn't do that with us. Not sure if you saw the video in the 'Aviary' thread of Toby carrying a rock up the wire. He's doing it daily now with dirt clods. I come home and we see he's filled the corner of a feeding cage with little dirt clods. Industrious little fella :)

That's funny. I did see his rock work on the video. It seems like Jabber, Java and Toby are the working birds of the flock. Java does the same thing climbing or flying with a "payload". She once flew a short distance with a shot glass and dropped it right on my head. It must have been nearly double her body weight. She will grab partially filled water bottles and fly off with them. She has the intimidation factor down. She looks so sweet, swaying, asking to get out of her cage. Visitors say "aww, let her out, I don't mind". If its just dinner company, I know better. If its a long term guest, I start slowly and warn them if she does land on them, call her bluff and don't panic. For the most part, she lands and I can see by her body language if she deems them friend or foe. If she decides she likes them she makes the cutest quiet little kisses. Then I have them give her a treat. She has the most evil sounding version of "heyyyy" and I know I need to get her back in her cage before mayhem ensues.