NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not a good talker?

Grumpy

My CAG, Cockey, has been with me since November last year. When I got him, he was round a year old then.

The bird is completely tame, cuddly, fully flighted, and well adjusted to its surroundings, has lots of other animal companions ... three cats, two dogs ... is out of its spacious cage most of the day ... but ... as far as his talking abilities are in question, he uses his name quite often, does some whistles trying to sing ex Yu national anthem, tries to mimic cats' sounds and nothing more except for some unpleasant sounds asking for attention :(

Even when pronouncing his name, it's not quite clear and is not in my voice.

Is he a lousy talker, or there is still a possibility he' may catch some other words/phrases, or sounds?

Ps.

Before Cockey, I had two hand fed cockatiels who, already as babies, were singing the anthem ...

Edited by Grumpy

I'm no kind of expert, but from what I've read here on the forums, Cockey is still very young age-wise in the "talking" game. I also know that they continue to learn new words and improve on existing ones for their lifetime, or so it appears. Don't give up hope on Cockey's verbal abilities! It seems that I remember one of the members here who said their grey did very little talking until 4 or 5 years of age. That said, words may never be Cockey's preference for communication. Timber (my TAG) can say many words but seldom does so. He prefers whistles and other vocalizations when communicating with me. The only reason I know he has a fairly extensive vocabulary is because of my spy cam. Ha. He is a closet talker. I'm always saying "use your words, Timber" to no effect!

In case he is not going to acquire any more new words, Cockey is still my feathery friend, difficult to deal with at times, as all greys are, but chaming and irrestible as well.

I know that he has bonded with me so much and wants my presence all the time, and only his morning "chase", when he's out of the cage looking for me and flying over to another room where I am, just to perch on my shoulder, WOULD DO :).

Oh, everything is on the birds side of things. We merely inhabit their world and serve them. lol Make sure you talk to your bird, describe what you're doing and why, maybe even sit and read outloud to him. You never know what they're storing up in those little heads of theirs. :)

Edited by Acappella

All have such great advice. Your baby is a " sponge" right now. You may not see the results from your attempts for some time, but you will. Read....read...read....I still read to Sophie everynight to this day. She LOVES her bedtime stories. She LOVES Dr. Seuss... anything that rhymes, as well as cloth books. " Thomas the Tank Engine", is her favorite ( I am embarassed to say). I know it by heart, so once I tried to tell her the story without turning the pages. I got a big SQUACK! I didn't do it right, and she knew it! LOL!

Grumpy Cockey is doing great! Ahead of schedule in my opinion! I truly believe, greys follow the same schedule as kids, until the age of four. Then children will surpass their birdy friends. I am okay with Sophie being four, for the rest of her life! She is such a joy, and brings so much happiness to us all. Nancy

Thank you all for nice pieces of advice.

I was just wondering what was going on with my bird since many other start talking at an earlier age, but am quite satisfied with him.

The highlight of the day, actually, is the early morning when he wakes up and is so happy to see me :).

Then I let him out, and while I'm feeding my other pets, though Cockey is first on the list of priorities, he starts chasing me all over the place just to be as close as possible.

Could be bothering at times, but is it not love ;).

Edited by Grumpy

Grumpy, while Cockey may be slower to pick up on the words, he will eventually surpass most birds I know in intelligence, including reasoning. While my Amazon was amazing...they struggled rarely for who "rules". Sophie quickly climbed the ladder of top dog, including the dogs. However, parents need to keep in mind, they are the " top dog". Many want to be " friends" with their bird to gain their trust. I don't believe in that. You will gain their trust thru interaction, routine, socialization and keeping them safe. I'm not always Sophie's favorite, and thats okay! Kids come home, they are fun and Sophie has a grand old time! Couldn't be happier for her. In the end.... kids and friends leave and Sophie is looking for me. I am her mom first, who has to make the tough decisions she doesn't always like, the friend last. My consistent parrenting I hope, has helped Sophie be the bird she is today. She is an amazing bird, that I am proud of. Nancy

For Sophie... I have to do it at eight every night. She is like clockwork.Eight is her bedtime! In the summer, Sean will read to her one night a week when I work my one 12 hour shift. She is thrilled! It takes three minutes! If Sean is unavailable, I have three kids that will read to her and she is happy. During the winter months, there may be three times in a six week period I am working late. She will put herself to bed without a bedtime story, but next day I get up early and apologize and read to her before I go to work. I am forgiven. Nancy

Misty has always been a good talker and although I attempted to teach him names of fruit and things with some success and he learned a lot, I think my technique was wrong or did not suit him. I think he thought I was just teasing him so I stopped. This was ten years ago and all he knows now is what he has picked up from observation and even actually listening to me sometimes! Because of this he will speak in context and with*intent. That said I have had to sometimes work out the context he intended. The other point is as you have with Cockey we developed an unspoken understanding so for instance when Misty wants me to offer him a hand he will hold his foot up to me. Some things like nuts he sees no point in learning to name because they are always there for him to snack on. You have a lifetime to go with Cockey and I think it a certainty he will pick up much more in the way of human words.

Steve n Misty

My first grey ( wild caught CAG) never spoke with his first humans during the many years (10+) they had (and abused) him. After he came to live with me half dead and in a horrible state, he eventually not only began talking but once the seal was broken, a flood of things came out. They are indeed like sponges, and whether talking or not, are soaking up the things that they hear and filing them away. Lestat would quote TV slogans, count like the Count from Sesame Street, and say all sorts of things, mostly mimicry and not a whole lot of interactive conversations.

HRH Inara (2.5 year old TAG) had a much better start to her little life, and when she came to live with me at 2 years old knew several words, and in the last six months of living with us is talking up a storm. She now loves to converse back and forth during the day. I don't encourage mimicry with her, so we just talk meaningful things at times, and nonsense at other times as she continues to adeptly learn to navigate the English language, and as I clumsily attempt to learn her native grey language.

As you already know, each bird is unique unto him/herself and with such looong lifetimes, they will always remain full of surprises for us. Your Cocky, will continue to grow and flourish with the great relationship you two have, and has lots of years ahead to learn and chat. :)

To keep you informed, at the moment Cockey is on his swing practising some new sounds and possibly trying to use some new words ....

But so far, he loves what I hate most, and that is meowing almost at the top of his voice, guess why ;)

Photo1564.jpg

Ah yes, I also have a meowing birdy. When he and Jac (the actual cat) are both caterwauling at the same time it can make me want to pull my hair out, or at least dig out the earplugs.

Ha, ha,

You really made me laugh, though fortunately non of my cats is of the caterwauling type, but there are some other as irritating sounds as well :(.

True, but it only brought me running the first couple of times. The things you have read hear about ignoring unwanted vocalizations to extinguish them is at least partly successful. When Timber does the distressed cat, I won't even look his way. Therefore, he doesn't use that one often!

I love reading about this! Mazi isn't a talker. She's 12 (will be 13 this year), and all she can say is "Hello" and "What", although neither are very clear. She'll make some vocalizations, as far as sounds, but not actually talking. She's become more vocal during the time I've had her, so she may continue, but, then again, she could be one of those Greys that never really talks. :) I find it fascinating how quickly some are to talk, but then how slow others are to start chatting, if they ever do. :)

It would be GREAT to hear from some owners of senior greys. I can't imagine Sophie NEVER talking! She has too much to say and attitude to express! Keep in mind she came here at the age of two, talked very little, but had an excellent home with a famous race car driver. Obviously he didn't have enough time to spend with her, but she was treated like a queen. She came here with no issues. While her vocabulary was limited, she would breakout into baby talk to convey her message. To this day, if she runs out of words, she breaks out into baby talk. I LOVE her babbling to this day. Nancy