NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Lored Amazon

Luvparrots

Okay, need some help. I have been watching a male pet/breeder 10 year old amazon in the newspaper. He was a pet and became a breeder and his mate died. He lives outside and has not been handled for about 5 years.

What do you think, can I turn him into a pet again or should I just forget about this one.

Hi Janet, Boy I wish I could give you a good answer on this one, but they say a breeder parrot dose not make a good pet.

If He is 10 years old and not handled in 5 years this could be a large challenge. They reach sexual maturity at or around 5 or 6 years of age about the time he became a breeder.

Can he come back ? I don`t know. I know you would like to give this boy a good home.

Okay, need some help. I have been watching a male pet/breeder 10 year old amazon in the newspaper. He was a pet and became a breeder and his mate died. He lives outside and has not been handled for about 5 years.

What do you think, can I turn him into a pet again or should I just forget about this one.

I sent you the PM you wanted

I can't weigh in on the question but I can be supportive of your quest Janet. If anyone can do it, you can. Is there any possibility that you can visit him and spend time with him to give you more opportunities to assess if he will respond favorably to you? We all know too many parrots who are described as unmanageable, or vicious and in the right environment they are able to redeem themselves.

Thanks Dee, but I have spoken to the man and woman who have the amazon. They are breeders and breed many different parrots. He is outside and is not handled at all. Evaluating my present parrots, Ana Grey the queen, Sterling Gris, the big lug scarey cat, and Louie, the mature and protective male zon, I realize that my spoiled flock would not want another mature male zon in the mix. Two mature male zons without mates might be more than this old lady can handle. Frankly the present owner agrees. This is a breeder now not a pet and my present flock are definitely spoiled pets.

One thing I know for sure is your devotion to your flock and your willingness to bring in another parrot and give freely of your time and resources. You have the best attitude for being able to condense any situation down to the base and evaluate if you are at the right time and place to consider each new opportunity. When the right fit comes along, you will be the first to know it. And we will be second and I will be cheering you on.