NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Your thoughts?

aerial.2000

So I have an opportunity to buy an 8mo old Eclectus parrot ..... someone tell me what Im getting into lol.

This is the information I was given .......

Eclectus are alot more difficult than most birds. They require beta carotine in there diet. Last i knew you will not find it in any of the bird foods on the market. It is only in certain fresh fruits and veggies such as carrots, broccoli, cooked sweet potatoes, kale, and i think spinach. This is a very important part of there diet and they should eat it almost daily. As far as nat pellets that is better than colored for eclectus but you have to watch giving them to many vitamins. It is hard to even find a food without added vitamins in it. Eclectus often end up over vitamined which can cause problems. They have a more challenging diet than any other parrot. In my experience they do not get along well with other birds as far as sharing gyms or cages but do not usually go out of there way to fight with them. Hope this helps

So outside of the natural pellets which I could also give to Marco ... Marco already eats all that other stuff already carrots and broccoli and sweet taters .... so is it REALLY going to be THAT much more difficult with 2 birds?

My concern is how marco will act with my attention split now etc ... and/or getting along w/another bird. I know they wont share a cage or a stand Teddy comes with his own stuff but just in general .. jealousy issues etc.

My own thoughts are:

1) How much time do you have currently to spend with Marco, up close and personal daily? Do you have the inclination to extend that time commitment to encompass two birds without shortchanging Marco?

2) Do you have the physical space and financial resources to commit to two birds for food, vet visits, toys, etc.?

3) What is your motivation for getting another bird? Is it simply because it is available, or because you have really, really, really wanted another companion --specific to this breed?

4) Are you ready for double the responsibility, double the cleaning, double the attention, double the noise, etc?

5) Do you have someone in your life who would bird sit for two birds in the case of an emergency?

Those are all practical questions that you've no doubt asked yourself already and have answered or you would likely not be considering picking up another bird, but it doesn't hurt to really spell them out. :) There are many people here who have several birds in their flocks that include Greys, and they could speak more to the jealousy issues, etc. I had overlap between my CAG and 'zon and they did fine and so did I. However, both came to me under extreme circumstances, and were independent from one another, basic loner personalities and content just to have a quiet, safe home. So I would venture to say that a lot depends on the individual birds' personalities.

Thanks for the input ... no doubt things I thought ALOT about. It did help to spell it out though and you are very right. Marco is a handful and does require alot of time. I did call the gentleman back and told him even though hubby said if you want it get it, as we talked awhile about an addition, we really didnt have space for another cage of that size and I wouldnt of been happy to have the 2nd bird in a different room :( I am just crushed, Ive always wanted an eclectus because they are just beautiful. I read on this site about them being easily stressed and becoming pluckers and the diet issues and perhaps its just more then I need to be taking on at this time. This lil baby was so precious though and the price was AMAZING for everything!!! <sigh> I do want another parrot someday perhaps something less challenging to raise. Thanks for your responses :D

Aerial.. I suggest, YOU get this bird! Of course Marco is a handful... he is your first baby. Being an owner of multy birds ( we call it MBS), your grey CAN adjust! Sophie learned to love and trust our birds of different origin. Since Kiki our Amazon flew away over the summer, we still feel her loss. Sophie has also had to take on the responsibility of caring for Sunny our senior Sunconure. She has done so, even though I know he bores her! She is kind to him, snuggles when he really needs it, as Kiki our Amazon always snuggled him.YOU, as the parrent, establishes the family dynamics (within reason).When you have a trusting relationship with a grey, they accept whomever you feel is important. Nancy

I had an older male Eclectus for a about a 1 1/2 years. He was a great gentleman but my TAG hated him and would dive bomb him whenever he came out of his cage. He was terrified and would hide under my bed. I give Sully away cage and all. He is loved and happy next door with a son and mother who take him everywhere. He came over to visit one day and my TAG, flew at him and chased him behind my tv. Needless to say his owner took him home and Sully has never returned again during the day. He did come over one night when my TAG was in her cage and mother, son and I were playing cards. Sully walked down his owner's arm over to me and up onto my shoulder give me a beak to the cheek and walked back to his owner. I knew it was a good bye and thank you kiss from my old friend, Sully.

Only you Aerial can decide what is best for your family and flock. If the right parrot comes along to join your family, you will not hesitate.

luvparrots had excellent advice! We all have different experiences, and only you can make the decision. I would suggest though, if you want birds of different species, to get them young. They adapt better when raised young together. Sunny our sunconure was our first bird, and we had no choice, but to adopt him. Out of forever homes, would attack people's jugular. Met my son at daycare when he was nine and fell in love with Ryan. Ryan is 22 now, and Sunny still loves him the best.Kiki was an Amazon baby, and Sophie came last. They all slowly learned to get along, but I know that doesn't work for everyone.

I knew I made the right decision, when Sunny came walking out, said " hello" twice, as we had been working at it for several months. He launched into " bird" talk, "people talk", I caught on what he was saying. He was mad that Kiki and Sophie were climbing into his cage, and sinking his rope! He had a " serious" complaint! I told him... " tell the girls to go into their own cages, and give you peace!" He understood and walked away so proud! It brought a smile to my face, that Sunny was truly home Nancy

I totally respect your decision & all the thought that's gone into it. But maybe for some time in the future, I just wanted to say some things about ekkie's being high maintenance.

There's a bunch of disagreement about special Eclectus dietary needs. I believe in it because of what I've seen w/Kura. But since I was close enough to fresh feeding anyway, she was just that extra little push I needed. It was a little intimidating at first. It didn't take long before it really stopped being any big deal, though.

But there are all natural pellet alternatives. We still do some pellets so they're used to them in case of emergencies, basically. TOP Organic Pellets are all human grade organic w/no additives. Also, Kathy at MyBirdSafeStore has several ekkies & swears by Vokman's mixes.

My gut says one day they'll prove the "something" that ekkies don't tolerate well in commercial pellets is a major contribution to many ekkies plucking. I also think they'll probably realize ekkies are just more sensitive to something that probably isn't any good for parrots, anyway.

Female ekkies have a rep as being hell spawn in some circles. To listen to the people I got her from, Kura was the worst of the worst, which was why they were getting rid of her. I personally never met that bird. I did meet some *$)#x@! who didn't know how to do anything but neglect & terrify my beautiful girl, though.

Kura's been a great joy to pretty much everyone who's met her since the day I coaxed her, stinking & trembling, out from under that moron's couch. Accept for Charm, every one of my birds has been a rescue. But I've never met one who put it all behind them like Kura.

Even Phenix fell hard & that's never happened before. So that was another surprise. I'd only fostered other big parrots after Phenix came home. I thought he'd be my one & only because of his issues & that was an iron clad, life long commitment. But I knew when I took Kura in that I had to get her out of there, that I would find her a great home if it came to it & that I would do absolutely everything possible to keep her. She was love at first sight & I had always wanted an Eclectus parrot. I have never regretted it.

It's hard to explain, but Kura's company for Phenix in a way the smaller & transient birds never have been. She's also a great role model. Since she's basically sweet tempered & sociable, that's been some very big bonus points for me, too!

I think the majority of Eclectus really just need what all parrots should have anyway. But breeds have a reputation. Every bird has their own personality, idiosyncrasies & issues & so do their parronts.

You've got the qualities & I really think if the time comes, you'd be a fine ekkie parront. Meanwhile, you could do worse than to learn parrot keeping tips from most anything Jim McKendry writes, LandofVos.com & some of the parronts down unda on eclectusparrots.net. ")

Edited by birdhouse

My good friend has two Eclectus parrots. They are in fine feather and she feeds them fresh food and provides regular trips into the sunshine. It is true that the female can get a little moody. She loves her birds though. Questions to consider.

Will you be sad if you don't take this opportunity? What does your intuition tell you? Why is the former owner giving up the bird?

Aerial.. I suggest, YOU get this bird! Of course Marco is a handful... he is your first baby. Being an owner of multy birds ( we call it MBS), your grey CAN adjust! Sophie learned to love and trust our birds of different origin. Since Kiki our Amazon flew away over the summer, we still feel her loss. Sophie has also had to take on the responsibility of caring for Sunny our senior Sunconure. She has done so, even though I know he bores her! She is kind to him, snuggles when he really needs it, as Kiki our Amazon always snuggled him.YOU, as the parrent, establishes the family dynamics (within reason).When you have a trusting relationship with a grey, they accept whomever you feel is important. Nancy

^Good advice. I have found that having more than one actually takes LESS time because they want to interact with each other. A good example is Maks and Alex. Maks was WAY beyond clingy with me before he and Alex made up. Alex originally had an instant mutual attraction with our male Green Cheek (Conner) but after the female Green Cheek lured Conner away from him and after Conner's untimely death which he mourned deeply, Alex then turned to Maks, perhaps for comfort. At the time, Maks was initially kind of snippy with Alex, but Alex was very.... persistent. Once they made up to each other, Maks found he would rather spend time with Alex than with me. He still comes to me at being called. He still likes to sit on my shoulder, or my head. But if Alex flies to another room I am instantly left behind. The only time Maks wants to be with me is when Alex is with me as well. The Green Cheeks have their own little flock dynamic and don't want or need me except as a food dispenser unless the babies want to climb in and preen my hair. And Megan, since Mar died, has been my almost constant companion. She takes FAR more time, energy and attention now that she does not have her companion and playmate. Is this my perception out of guilt? Perhaps. But she approaches ME far more often now. She *never* used to fly to me or land on me. Now it happens often. I think having another bird they can be comfortable with is what every bird needs. It doesn't have to be a "mate" necessarily. Maks and Alex (not for Alex's lack of trying) are not 'mates' in that sense as Maks just does let Alex get too physical with him (unlike Conner, who evidently 'swung both ways'). Maks will allow Alex to preen but sadly will not preen Alex back, which seems to bother me more than it bothers Alex. But they are emotionally bonded to each other and get absolutely hysterical if they are separated and out of each others' sight - even for a moment! The bonds that these birds have with their flockmates is amazing to see, and I wish every bird could have another bird in its flock. I just think it is emotionally healthy for them.

I am sure another opportunity will come along. This kind of situation happens more often than not (birds being given up because they aren't "what (was) expected." When the right bird comes along, I think you will know it is right for you.

Excellent post Muse! Don't get me wrong... having MBS takes alot of patience, effort and supervision. Let me STRESS on the supervision part. Not for everyone, and NOT for every bird.

My groomer asked me my secret how I got my Amazon and sunconure to live together. I would showup for beak and nail trimming with Sunny our sunconure and Kiki our Amazon, in one travel cage, Sophie in another. If I had a bigger travel cage, they would have been altogether! I told him I couldn't tell him my secret! LOL! There WAS no secret. They established their relationships under the watchful eye of me, Ryan and Sean. We had three cages and three gyms. I have " open cage door", so they can climb back and forth all they want. I always found three birds in one cage.It got annoying having cages noone lived in, so I put one in the garage. I still have two cages, so they can take a break from each other, but Sophie rarely uses the " big palace!" I was going to get rid of it, but since Sunny has become her responsibility, I thought to keep it so she could take a break once in awhile. All is well. Nancy