NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Success with homemade swing

Quirky

So the hubs and I saw a really cool swing online a couple of months ago that we thought would be cool for Jake. We discussed how to replicate it cheaper using some branches from our crepe myrtle tree. After some quick measurements we figured out what length of chains we would need for his size and what width the branches needed to be. We thoroughly scrubbed and baked the branches in the oven, drilled the holes and notched the wood so the branches would fit together better. After hanging it near him for the last few weeks he finally took a chance yesterday and decided to step on to it. He seems to love it he played for hours whistling, chirping, and chewing the wood blocks. Overall it looks to be a huge success and we couldn't be happier that he was so taken with it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you do decide to make it the chains are 1'-4" long each and the branches are 13" long. We literally put the whole thing together on a Saturday. I cannot remember the size of the chain links but we picked one that we could easily order wooden parts for to put on it. The most tricky part was making sure we drilled the holes in far enough to not split the branch. I think my next project will be an atom as Jake is making continual improvement in his flying capabilities now that he is flighted :D

Wow! Jake is very adventurous and looks like he is enjoying your creation. Our grey is unable to fly, but you have given me a great idea to make one perch in her cage slightly moveable to build her confidence. Thanks. Also, I made an atom using the black plastic lawn sprinkler tubing from Home Depot and then wrapped it in jute. If you life close to Suwanee, you are welcome to have all my leftovers. I had to buy fifty feet of tubing. Its not that expensive, but I still couldn't bring myself to throw it away.

I'm glad your inspired to make a perch for Gilgirl, please share once you've completed it! I just might take you up on the tubing offer. I'm OTP (not by much though) on the west side. We are in the process of moving so I probably won't reach out to you until after we get settled in. I also like to find second uses for items around my house, if I can't repurpose something for Jake, my dogs, or my orchids then it usually hits the trash haha.

Wanted to give an update, I love this swing and I'm pretty sure Jake does too. When we first put him on it I would grab an o-ring opposite from where he was sitting and twist the swing around so that it unwinds itself giving him a little ride. In the two short weeks he's been hanging out on it he has figured out if he climbs to one chain, holds on to the chain with his beak and a foot hold onto the branch with his other foot and flap like crazy he can wind himself up. It's so wonderful seeing him climb all over the swing figuring out new ways to play on it. Plus as a bonus although I have seen him fly upward once over a short distance for the most part he only flys down from whatever he's on top of. I'm hoping this kind of playing will help him build strength for future flying (although I must admit he seems quite content to let us carry him around).

• 4 weeks later...