NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rest In Peace Cocoa

judygram

I have bad news for those who followed Cocoa, she passed away earlier today. She was owned by Sanggay Dhorje who is a member of greyforums but no longer actively participating. I learned of this news thru facebook and had followed her adventures with her family for several years, she was buried near the hiking trails where she loved to accompany them on their walks thru nature.

I know a lot of you don't know dhorje but he was very active here for several years and there are still a lot of pictures and videos of Cocoa on her adventures to the hiking trails and the park/playground and he regularly exercised her on a harness and leash. She will be sadly missed by her family and all those who followed her, she was a much loved companion, may she rest in peace.

I also followed and enjoyed all of Cocoa adventures over the years.

The pictures and videos were always a joy to watch.

My heart goes out to the family.

RIP Cocoa, your life made a difference to all of us.

Thank you Judy for letting us know.

I have bad news for those who followed Cocoa, she passed away earlier today. She was owned by Sanggay Dhorje who is a member of greyforums but no longer actively participating. I learned of this news thru facebook and had followed her adventures with her family for several years, she was buried near the hiking trails where she loved to accompany them on their walks thru nature.

I know a lot of you don't know dhorje but he was very active here for several years and there are still a lot of pictures and videos of Cocoa on her adventures to the hiking trails and the park/playground and he regularly exercised her on a harness and leash. She will be sadly missed by her family and all those who followed her, she was a much loved companion, may she rest in peace.

Do you know what the cause of death was?

Dave, he wasn't specific about what her symptoms were but that she was ill on Friday and because there are few avian vets in Malaysia she wasn't seen until Monday, he mentioned some kind of fungal infection and meds were prescribed but she passed away Thursday morning Malaysian time, no doubt the delay in seeing the vet may have contributed to her demise.

Dave, he wasn't specific about what her symptoms were but that she was ill on Friday and because there are few avian vets in Malaysia she wasn't seen until Monday, he mentioned some kind of fungal infection and meds were prescribed but she passed away Thursday morning Malaysian time, no doubt the delay in seeing the vet may have contributed to her demise.

Ok, thanks alot

That is terrible news. Sanggay and Cocoa brought many wonderful photos, videos and stories to us. If Sanggay does happen to visit here, I wish him my most heart felt condolences. That is a grief and heartbreak no parrot owner wants to experience.

Thanks Judy, for creating this thread for Cocoa. I am really touched. And I apologize for leaving this forum for a long time. I don't know why I suddenly check in here. Thank you all for your well wishes.

The loss of Cocoa was unexpected. She was very healthy all along. She started to show sign of illness on the 7th Friday afternoon. She was sitting quietly never moved away from the same spot. I noticed her feces were in broken pieces instead of long string like. I called the ex zoo vet the next morning but he was out of town and would only be back on Monday night. The other avian vet who works in a vet hospital was not available on weekends. I drove Cocoa to nearby vets but none was able to treat Cocoa. I had no choice but to wait till Monday. In the meantime, I fed her with Vit C and other nutrition supplements. She lost her appetite. I had to spoon feed her. Her condition deteriorated on Sunday. She started to vomit. I called up the hospital vet in the afternoon. She told me to see her on Monday. Cocoa didn't stop vomiting. I was very worried and called the vet again in the night. Vet told me to stop feeding her and bring Cocoa to see her asap in the morning tomorrow.

I left house at 7am, reached the hospital at 8am. The vet arrived at 9am. After examination, she said Cocoa looked fine. She suspected fungal infection that caused her to vomit. She took some fluid sample from inside Cocoa's mouth to test for fungal. Result won't be out in a week or two.

She prescribed Baytril, anti fungal meds, and a couple more.

Upon reaching home, Cocoa was extremely hungry, She ate all her breakfast. I gave her the meds and then put her in the cage to rest. 3 hours later, she showed signs of recovery. We were very happy. She ate on her own the next morning. I was extremely happy with her progress. She was more active and could fly to the upper floor. But her character had changed. She wasn't the old Cocoa. She no longer talked. So I thought she was still recovering. But she was doing things that she had never done before. She didn't heed to command anymore. She wasn't afraid of the spray bottle anymore. She used to be afraid of the furry floor mat. She dared to stand on it. At times she wanted to be very close to us.

I brought her to see the ex zoo vet on Wednesday night. He checked her feces and there were good. He found no indications of serious illness except her crop was empty and full of wind. When Cocoa was weighed, I was surprised that she kept on dropping in weight in spite of eating more than the 1st three days when she was sick. She was extremely active at the vet's clinic until I had her back in the cage.

The next morning at 6am, I checked on her. She was all right, very eager to come out of cage. Normally she took her time. I took her to the loo to poo. I noticed that since Wednesday her poo were dry. I put her back in the cage before we went hiking. I came back at 9am and found her on the floor of the cage. Her eyes were closed. I quickly took her out. I was glad that she was still alive but she couldn't stand anymore. She couldn't even grip. We were so disheartened. We were fearing the worst. Her body was cold. She was dying. She shed tears and made a sound before she went as if she was saying farewell. She left us at 9.40am. This really broke our hearts. We could not stop crying. She refused to close her eyes. We tried very hard to have her eyes closed. We wanted her to go in peace of mind. We managed to close her eyes partially. We placed her body on her cage. I told my wife to wait till our daughter who was at school to come home before burying Cocoa. Cocoa may want to wait for her. True enough Cocoa closed her eyes when my daughter came home to see here. That was 5 hours after her death.

I buried her at the place where we had been hiking together for more than 3 years. We hiked up the hill at 3pm with her for the last time. We miss her very much. The next morning when my wife was doing house chores she suddenly cried telling me nobody was there to disturb her any more. Her loss has a great impact on our lives. Yesterday I went hiking for the 1st time since her death and I thought I could take my mind off her by taking my 2 tiels there. Every step I took reminded me of Cocoa sitting on my shoulder. I couldn't hold back my tears. I don't want to hike to the waterfall for the time being. We used to be there alone at the waterfall as we were the early birds. It will bring back memories of her.

Sorry, I can't write anymore ....

• Haha 1

Thank you Sanggay for giving us the details of her illness though it was not necessary, I know you are devastated as I know I am and I am not ashamed to admit I shed tears when I read of her passing, she was special to me and to a lot of people who followed your adventures with her and your other birds and I know there is a big hole in your heart now that aches but she was loved and she returned that love for it showed in the pictures and videos you took with her.

Please do come back and share your other fids with us as you are a part of this family and you have been sorely missed.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I very much remember Cocoa and was so incredibly sad to read this. I am without words to describe how much I feel for your loss. I know how close they get. It is wonderful you had the incredible adventures you did with Cocoa. I remember all the videos and wishing that Isaac would get out on his harness. Isaac and I will send our love to Cocoa.

Stephen