NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dirty oven

kins2321@yahoo.com

Use a mixture of Baking soda, vinegar, a little bit of Dawn soap. It does get really foamy.

Pre-heat the oven to 250 or so then turn it off. Coat sides and top with the above mixture and let it sit for a few hours then scrub it off. Worked really good on my oven (I HATE the fumes of a self cleaning oven and won't use it) except for a few more baked on stubborn spots. But from what I've heard I can use some balled up aluminum foil to scrub those off if I really want to put the effort in.

Like Vstar Mama, I use: 2 cups baking soda, 1 cup distilled vinegar and ½ cup dawn dish soap

It works like a charm. Got the recipe from this video:

I never use my self cleaning oven, because I can't stand the fumes myself. I put off cleaning it and put off cleaning it, and it was a mess. Did this right before xmas and it was and is sparkling!

Tip: Wear gloves if you need to scrub a lot, easier on your hands. Don't use a green super scrubbie as it can scratch your oven interior -- just use a regular plastic scrubbie, and use a plastic knife or spoon to scrape any really hard baked on stuff.

I used to use a 1/4 cup of amonia in bowl of boiling water and shut the door in a cool oven overnight -- but this is much safer and works fantastic.

My oven seriously needs cleaning! Self cleaning.I am hesitant due to the fumes it will give off. I want to wait till Spring... but needs to be done. Any suggestions? Nancy

As a rule most self cleaning ovens do not use chemicals just very very high temperatures to burn off the residue. They have an interlock to prevent the door opening until the temperature is back to normal. Assuming that you do not use teflon coated baking trays etc no dangerous fumes will be emitted. If in doubt check with the manufacturer but good ventilation should be enough. For peace of mind keep birds away and secure and internal doors to kitchen closed.

Steve n Misty

Thanks all! I like VStar Mama's plan! I am not the best cook, but was on disability when kids were home from college. I made three course meals every night. They were in heaven! LOL! They all tasted good....( except one meal), but there was some serious " overflow", from some recipes! Now kids back to college, I am thinking how to clean it. If it was summer... not an issue. Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
As a rule most self cleaning ovens do not use chemicals just very very high temperatures to burn off the residue. They have an interlock to prevent the door opening until the temperature is back to normal. Assuming that you do not use teflon coated baking trays etc no dangerous fumes will be emitted. If in doubt check with the manufacturer but good ventilation should be enough. For peace of mind keep birds away and secure and internal doors to kitchen closed.

Steve n Misty

I know you say it doesn't emit any harmful fumes, but I have a self cleaning oven about 8 years old. When ever I have tried to use it, and my other one prior to this one, my eyes stung terribly and because of that fact, I felt it is never safe for my birds.

• 2 weeks later...

I would use the above recipe, but DON'T USE DAWN DISH SOAP! It has too many toxic ingredients! Use a non-toxic soap like Dr. Bronner's.

Goal: Replace all toxic chemicals in Dawn dish soap.

It’s puzzling how a company that promotes itself as a rescuer of wildlife can get away with selling products containing toxic ingredients and tested on animals. It’s not as surprising, though, once you learn that the company is Procter and Gamble. Procter and Gamble owns Dawn dish soap, a product full of toxic chemicals, encased in plastic packaging with images of seals, ducks and claims of caring about wildlife on it. Tell Robert A. McDonald actions speak louder than words. Tell him to prove that his company is really concerned about its customers and wildlife by switching to only organic ingredients in Dawn dish soap.

To list just a few of the toxic ingredients found in Dawn dish soap, there’s Trisoclan, an ingredient found in some of Dawn’s antibacterial dish soap products. This chemical has been linked to heart disease and heart failure and it also impairs muscle function. Studies have also shown it to be a potential endocrine disruptor, which can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects and other developmental disorders. Another chemical, sodium bisulfate, can cause life-threatening side effects if ingested. Quaternium 15 is a formaldehyde releaser that can irritate skin and eyes as well as cause non-reproductive organ toxicity. The European Union has deemed it unsafe for use in cosmetics. And of course there’s the ever- mysterious “fragrance,” which the Food and Drug Administration doesn’t require companies to list the chemical makeup of.

For a company with billions of dollars at its disposal, it’s certainly being cheap with its quality. Tell Robert A. McDonald we shouldn’t have to be chemistry majors in order to understand the products we’re using in our homes. Tell him it also doesn’t make sense that a product meant to be used on dishes which will be eaten off of would contain ingredients that could be poisonous if ingested. Ask Robert A. McDonald to change all of Dawn’s dish soap ingredients into non-toxic, organic ones.