NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleaning products??????

pinklips

I use either. Daily, when I'm boiling water for my husband's tea in the morning, I just pour some of the boiling water on a paper towel then spray a spritz of vinegar on it from a small spray bottle (about the size of a perfume bottle) and use that as an "instant wipe" to wipe down the grate in Inara's cage before I change the papers. The heat from the boiling water cuts through any debri that has dried on since the previous morning and makes clean up a breeze. I keep a bottle of poop-off around, but rarely use it as hot water and vinegar really do the trick. I also spray her water and food dishes with pure vinegar then fill them with boiling water, let them sit for a few minutes, then rinse them out thoroughly with boiling water from the kettle before wiping them out and refilling. It's an easy morning routine and only takes a few minutes. Then once a week, I do a deep clean from top to bottom (every bar, nook, cranny) of her cage using a basic vinegar water solution of about 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Come summer, I'll also set her cage (without her in it) in the hot sunshine once a week after cleaning -- used to do this with my birds in the earlier part of my life, and my avian vet also does this with her cages.

EDIT: As a side note, I set up Inara's perches so that she doesn't drop poop on lower ones from the higher ones -- this keeps her from stepping in any or accidentally wiping her beak on any dried smears. It's also a good idea to be sure to never use a wipe you've used on poop areas to then wipe areas with which their mouths and feet will come into contact. It's common sense but often something someone might not think about when cleaning a cage.

Edited by Inara

I use either. Daily, when I'm boiling water for my husband's tea in the morning, I just pour some of the boiling water on a paper towel then spray a spritz of vinegar on it from a small spray bottle (about the size of a perfume bottle) and use that as an "instant wipe" to wipe down the grate in Inara's cage before I change the papers. The heat from the boiling water cuts through any debri that has dried on since the previous morning and makes clean up a breeze. I keep a bottle of poop-off around, but rarely use it as hot water and vinegar really do the trick. I also spray her water and food dishes with pure vinegar then fill them with boiling water, let them sit for a few minutes, then rinse them out thoroughly with boiling water from the kettle before wiping them out and refilling. It's an easy morning routine and only takes a few minutes. Then once a week, I do a deep clean from top to bottom (every bar, nook, cranny) of her cage using a basic vinegar water solution of about 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar. Come summer, I'll also set her cage (without her in it) in the hot sunshine once a week after cleaning -- used to do this with my birds in the earlier part of my life, and my avian vet also does this with her cages.

EDIT: As a side note, I set up Inara's perches so that she doesn't drop poop on lower ones from the higher ones -- this keeps her from stepping in any or accidentally wiping her beak on any dried smears. It's also a good idea to be sure to never use a wipe you've used on poop areas to then wipe areas with which their mouths and feet will come into contact. It's common sense but often something someone might not think about when cleaning a cage.

Thank you fort this information. I also have set up the cage (perches) the same as you. Do you have to rinse the cage after spaying with vinegar.

Another question if you do not mind. Can you keep the solution in the bottle for a few days weeks??

Yes, you can leave the solution in the bottle. I just use a small bottle for bird only, then I have a larger bottle that I use for household cleaning. After about a month it may begin to lose a bit of potency, so you'll want to use it up. (Michigan State University Extension Office)