NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Anyone interested in fresh Red Palm Fruit Nuts?

Burak

Hello,

While I was investigating for red palm oil, someone advised me below mentioned site selling fresh red palm fruit nuts. I couldn't try it yet as they're out of stock. but new nuts are expected to be in stock in March. If you're interested to feed your buddies with their natural food:)

http://www.northernparrots.com/palm-nuts-nutritious-natural-parrot-treat-prod544101a/

544101A.jpg

Greywings, just got the following response from The Cozy Nestbox:

Hi Karen:

No, we no longer have palm nuts as we have relocated from Florida to Michigan. Wish I knew of someone who is selling them but I do not. Sorry!

~Kelly Reed

Worth the try anyway! I wanted to post so anyone considering emailing would not do so.

• 1 month later...

It really necessary to spend huge amounts of time trying to find palm nuts. First of all, they're considered a hard to get item in the US. Second, they're very overpriced because they're hard to get. For those of you that really feel that their birds would be better off with the nuts, please remember that feeding palm oil plus the huge variety of nuts that are available all over the states will give you the same amount of values that palm nuts will give . Remember that in the wild, greys DO have palm nuts which include palm oil but they DON,T have access to almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, all of which contain various amounts of vitamins. Instead of expending energy trying to get palm nuts, try getting your bird used to the various nuts that're readily available in the US. Buying from overseas companies isn't too good you should remember that there's about 3 different types of palm nuts some of which of which is not for greys. In Africa, there's only one type of red palm nut. That's what greys eat. Queensland palm nuts are what different amazon species of parrots eat.

Think about what's readily available. Many people don't spend nearly enough time trying to get their birds used to the nuts here.

Also, after spending huge amounts of money trying to get red palm nuts that are for greys, that doesn't mean the grey will eat them.

I believe that the phrase "is not" is missing from the first line of the previous.

I'm privileged to provide a home for two wild caught Congo greys but I previously lived in Africa, Liberia, where we had two indigenous Timneh greys. I remember the acute interest in, and even delight by, the two birds when I realized that the nuts from the oil palm tree, also indigenous, were part of their daily delight and put the first two into their flight

Wind decades later to now and I find the black bare cores of oil palm nuts on the bottom of the flight in my back yard here in Georgia, stripped of their covering skin and pulp where the greys have taken the pulp out of the skins after removing both from the nut. I have no hesitation in doing everything I can to provide a comfortable and caring existence for these birds and will carry above the norm expense if that is what it takes to provide these little creatures a piece of a diet that they once enjoyed in the wild.

Dr. Rowan Martin now heads the newly formed Wild Parrot Trust effort for parrots indigenous to Africa and I will watch his work with intense interest. If an opportunity ever arrives to restore these two greys to their native land, I'll act immediately.

I get oil palm nuts from Jungle Gold parrot food at this link:

http://www.junglegold.com/

and it says right there on the front page that they only ship to UK and EU. I tell them I would accept responsibility for loss or damage of the shipment, perhaps due to Customs or spoilage while being held up in customs, and they agreed to ship. I recommend such a statement in the notes part of any order submitted for a United States destination or through an email to them before an order is placed.

I also recommend that one only order during the cold weather, in particular late December and January or February, to reduce the chance for loss due warmth if the shipment is help up enroute. The nuts depart the shipping point frozen and will need to be frozen again when they arrive here in the US.

In January of this year, I obtained five kilograms, or 11 pounds, at a cost of $151. They shipment was slow but arrived by DHL in apparent good order. I refreeze the nuts frozen immediately on arrival and thaw them out two at a time in a small amount of water in a microware two or three times a week to give to the birds. I would recommend that one ask for shipment by UPS if that service is available. My experience with DHL was not all that I would hope for.

And, these greys also like walnuts, pecans and almonds as well but in that order. THe almonds are the most likely to be left in the food dish; the walnuts are the least likely.

If I can answer any questions, I would be happy to do so.

David