NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking to re-home my african grey

brooke_bsb

Hi,

I am looking to re home my female Congo African Grey. Unfortunately I feel I"m not home enough for the socialization that she needs. She is about 8-9 months old, healthy (she's been tested for avian viruses and had DNA test). She's very sweet and starting to mimic sounds and whistles and has a sweet personality. I'm happy to give her large cage and standing perch along with her to the right person. I'm in the Los Angeles area, CA (san gabriel valley). Looking for someone who has experience with Greys.

Thanks!

Brooke

Hi,

I am looking to re home my female Congo African Grey. Unfortunately I feel I"m not home enough for the socialization that she needs. She is about 8-9 months old, healthy (she's been tested for avian viruses and had DNA test). She's very sweet and starting to mimic sounds and whistles and has a sweet personality. I'm happy to give her large cage and standing perch along with her to the right person. I'm in the Los Angeles area, CA (san gabriel valley). Looking for someone who has experience with Greys.

Thanks!

Brooke

I have had 2 greys before , one had a picking problem , I live in the country on 3.5 acres , I just got a 5 yr congo Just like yours that needed a Great home , I can handle 2 greys I live in Clovis Ca my # is 559-325-2597 Please call me , I have a large outside cage that I put my Elmo in at 10 am to 3 pm daily he loves the outside it's back to nature thing ,I am sure he would like company , If you want I will gladly take her off your hands and give her the best home ever. We are a family me my wife and 2 great sons I raise koi and build and design Garden bridges here is my web site http://www.redwoodgardenbridges.com , I look forward to hearing from you . or e-mail me info@redwoodgardbridges.com

Joe Guraro

Here is my FB account with my Grey in his cage. https://www.facebook.com/joe.guraro

Edited by Joe Guraro

Joe, I hope it all works out for you and this grey. I will never understand why someone would get a grey and decide 8 mos later they don't have time for it...:( I have seen this scenario too many times to be understanding..

Well Talon,

Many people fall in love with the idea of having a grey , But then there life changes ,and dont realize they have a 5 year old for life that needs attention daily hourly , Etc...... I have a great situation I run my Bus from home http://www.eredwoodbridges.com so I am lucky to be home all the time which is great for Greys , I hope Brooke feels that I am a good home for her little girl I am only 4 hr drive to pick her up . (;-) She could always come visit her grey.

joe

Edited by Joe Guraro

At least it's a young 8-9 mo Grey. It'll be like leaving it's immediate family flock and joining it's adult flock.

Thanks for posting that FB Joe, I like that pic of the outside cage. Do you have any problems with hawk predation in that setup? I would love to build something similar but I don't want the hawks sitting there trying to figure out how to get in. I've seen other similar setups (murfchk?).

Sorry, don't want to get the thread off-track but I really liked that pic.

Hi Joe,

Sorry, had been away from the computer for a few days- I will contact you and take a look at your facebook.

Obviously I feel terrible for having to find a new home for her, I understand everyone's concern and see that this does happen with parrots. But I"m on here rather than craigslist trying to find a good home for her with someone who has grey experience already so I can make sure she goes to a good home!

Brooke

Great, I know its a hard thing to do (;-( , But for your little girl it's the right thing to do . I can e- mail you the picture of the out cage I built , I had my Elmo 3 wks now and we have bonded great he trust me I walk around out side with , Today I had him in the out cage till 5 pm the weather was great.I look forward to hearing from you , I do have Grey experience and a Big heart (;-) Joe 559-325-2597. info@redwoodgardbridges.com

Have a great eve. Joe.

Edited by Joe Guraro

Brooke,

I have a few general questions so that I don't forget,

1.Foods, What are you feeding ,Pellets? seeds ? Likes of human foods ? Favorite foods?

2. Cage time ? perch time ? on top of cage?

3. Does she bite you ? Why?

4. How many people handle her ? Male ? Female?

5. Things that startle her?

6. Does she fly, Wings cut ?

7. Does she step up? on command ?

These are things I should have asked my other Grey owner. Elmo. I have learned all about my Elmo in the 3 wks I have had him,

Joe

I am looking forward to watching this transition with you. If I had gotten a grey at any other time in my life, it would have been overwhelming. Even with taking five years to get to where we are today with Miss Gilbert there is no experience in my life that could have prepared me to be what she needed. It is a huge step to understand the she needs more than you can give her Brooke. Take your time and be sure she is going to a permanent home. No offense to you Joe, but with having Elmo for only three weeks, do you have prior grey experience? It may give you a setback with Elmo to bring in another grey. I am only asking because you have been a member for such a short time and we haven't had time to get to know you. I happen to have a little Timneh who was passed around to her great detriment and my heart is only wanting for this girl to have a permanent home in her best interest. I would not want for her to be put with an older more mature male grey with an idea to mate. I promise, I am only throwing out questions because of where Miss Gilbert has been and how long it has taken for her to stop damaging her feathers and to relax just a little.

No offense taken, Great concerns Katana600, I had my first Grey 30 years ago (:-) He had a red factor chest but he had a picking problem, we even had him wear a collar to see if it would stop his picking, It didn't, we gave him to a person that was confined to a wheel chair hoping they could give him more time than I was able to working 9 to 5 back then. Then I had a pair of of medium crested sulfur cockatoos, at that time we lived in the city the were too loud they did a lot of screeching. Then got a Bronco Grey he was a great bird after 15 year we had burned a Teflon pan in the house not a good end to that story.That was like 5 yrs ago . I also had a outside pair of macaws Blue & gold & a scarlet they were not house birds they were kept in a large aviary. So I have been around Parrots half my life (;-)I Run my own business on my ranch, I am home all the time, I have cows ,Koi,1 grey and hope for 1 more. I am a experienced parrot person to say the least (;-) Thank you for asking. I truly hope that this re-homing of Brooke's CAG bird works as a win win win for all parties involved. I am not the type of person that likes to talk about oneself, but only because you asked, I am a better listener. God gave me 2 ears one mouth I a sure you heard that one before. Is Katana 600 your bike ? PS this is the best informational forum I have ever found, I have truly enjoyed reading all the posts, You have a great Team on board keep it up . I am going to take my Elmo for a walk (;-)

Edited by Joe Guraro

Thank you Joe, it is a great testament to your maturity and intentions for you to respond in such a positive way. My stomach was a little nervous to ask the questions because I didn't want to antagonize a newcomer or to make it more difficult for Brooke in her decision making. You make it so much easier to be a cheerleader for a really good fit for this young grey. I lurked on the forum to learn about greys when I was waiting for a baby Congo to wean. I did choose the name of my motorcycle because I was afraid if something happened and I didn't get my little one that it would be too hard to continue using his name. I lost him after only seven weeks in our home to PDD and then cared for his brother until he passed way too young from the same illness. Through it all, this forum was a lifeline and has helped me in rehoming a Timneh who has taught me all I know about greys, which is still precious little. Thanks for joining us, you will be a great addition to our forum.

Well Katana, I also have a passion for Dirt Bikes I have a 450R honda, and a KTM 530 EXC , I can only imagine what you went through with PDD with 2 baby greys (;-( , You gave it your best . I have forgotten more than I know about parrots ,If that makes sense ? Over 30 yrs you learn alot ,but at this point it's like second nature to me ,as with any animal one has to watch listen and read them. It sounds like I have your blessings for being a good home for Brooke's Grey, I do thank you for that ,I hope it helps her feel good about me being able to provide a good Home for her bird. I hope to hear from Brooke Soon, I have not yet ,I will keep you posted, Thank you again.

Joe

full parrot cage_025.jpg

elmo parrot_022.jpg

Elmo outside_024.jpg

Edited by Joe Guraro

Yes Joe, you certainly have my blessings and support for rehoming Brooke's grey. The decision to rehome is complex and fraught with emotion, second guessing and more. It took five months of email and thoughtful discussion before Sarah and I made a commitment to bring Gilbert to our home. That was a long distance between us, nine hours drive, was part of that, but once it was decided it went well for both of us and for Miss Gilbert. The first "pause" I had that made me decide to question further was when you mentioned you had Elmo for just three weeks. In the relatively short time I have been a forum member I have seen some cringeworthy discussions, like "hey I have a grey I want to trade for a chihuahua". Just by the way you accepted and gave more detail on the question, I am certainly relieved and hope you and Brooke meet soon.

You have my support also, great set up you have there. What ever decision Brooke makes I am sure re-homing her grey is no easy decision for her. Life happens and few of us can see clearly down stream in time to plan ahead for what lies ahead of us. Health, income, moving overseas, allergies in new partners, bird is unhappy, disasters such as fire, earthquake or serious injury are not easily foreseen. We all do the best we can and it is not right to make a judement with out walking in that persons shoes for a few miles. Just my opinion and I tell my hubby I am always right.

Edited by Greywings

Wow ! You all are great , I wish I was able to put words on paper as all of you do ,

Having said that I am a man of few words (;-) , I am more of a hands on person as a few of you have already seen on my web site, http://www.redwoodgardenbridges.com , I am working on a old large Macaw cage, grinding it down to bare metal a few welds in plans to have it in my shop for my Elmo can help me build bridges.. I have built 5 other parrot cages over the years , I wish I had pics to show, I did not have digital tech back then .(;-)

I hope I hear from Brooke ,

Joe

parrot cage_028.jpg

Edited by Joe Guraro

Regards having Elmo in the work shop, do be very aware of ventilation as it does not take much to damage or kill a bird with inhalant chemicals such as dispersed when welding and grinding old paint and rust off metal. Caution is the rule avoiding exposure even better.