NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pellets

SweetGrey

I purchased from a breeder a 16 week old African Grey Congo. She doesn't believe in pellets. For the first week I was home I spent everyday cutting up veggies, boiling beans and basically trying to meet his dietary needs. It was very time consuming. When I took him to the Vet for his wellness check she laughed at my breeder. She insisted that I get him on pellet's, give him 4 nutri balls in the morning and 4 at night and offer a few fresh veggies and fruit as treats. Feeding my bird is now 100% easier and he seems very happy. Does anyone else NOT feed their parrots pellets?

I have tried every pellet with an acceptable composition, but Timber won't eat any of them. So, he is a nutriberry bird. I'm assuming that is what you are referring to. I'm not sure it is ideal, but with a picky eater you have to do what you have to do! As long as your grey is getting veggies, a little fruit and a good seed mix, I imagine she will be fine! :)

Inara loves nutriberries and I give her a variety in her dry dish so that they are available to her all day along with and a handful of a high quality dry mix that has precooked legumes in it as well as nuts and dried fruits and some extruded pellets (she will leave those pellets behind every time). She gets plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, sprouted bread, and a mash that I make from sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, red pepper flakes, and fennel seeds. I cook the mash, freeze it in cubes, and she gets it warmed once a day. She also loves in the morning an organic flax seed or ancient grain waffle with a bit of red palm oil and purreed organic tropical fruit on it. First thing in the morning she loves about an 1/8 teaspoon of cranberry juice diluted with filtered water. At the suggestion of her Avian Vet, I also toss into her dry dish some Roudybush maintenance small crumbles (which often still comprise the most part of what has gone uneaten, although the squirrels love her leftovers!). Inara is a 2.5 year old TAG and so the smaller bits of things seem to be more appealing to her, and she will sell her soul for pieces of shredded organic carrots and freshly made salad. When she came to us, she had been raised on a "southern comfort food" human diet, so it was no small task to get her switch over to healthier things, but with planning and a measured, consistent offering of new things, her entire diet changed in a short amount of time. Nutriberries really helped her make that transition, and so I'm happy to have them as her base staple.

My Avian Vet also sells a frozen pre-cooked mix of legumes, seeds, nuts, veggies. You might see if someone near you sells the same. I think the key, so that you don't have to spend so much time daily, is to have a small food chopper like (as seen on TV :D ) a Magic Bullet, etc. Mine can make a fresh chop of yummy stuff in well under 3 minutes; and for the legumes, etc. just precook once a week and freeze. There are some good pre-mixed ones available on line.

Inara definitely has her favorites and can fling an "untouchable" far and wide if it is not up to her culinary standards, so I'm in agreement with Timbersmom, you do whatcha gotta do :) :)

Edited by Inara

Welcome & Congratulations on your new baby SweetGrey!! Hoping you might post some more about your new fid in the "Welcome & Introduction" forum. ")

It's true that it takes more time to feed a fid a fresh healthy diet than pellets & seed. But there are many overall health benefits no matter what that particular vet may have led you to believe. Also, there are no unpleasant surprises whenever you read a recall list & there have been far too many of them in the past few years!

I really believe in fresh feeding. But I'm not exactly the happy homemaker type. lol So I've found the best solution for me is fresh frozen mash or chop. One weekend every 1-1/2 mo or so I make the investment to put up a batch & freeze it in 2 day portions that will thaw overnight in the fridge as needed. The birds get that as their main diet, along w/any fresh fruits & veggies, scrambled eggs, nuts, chicken bones, etc that we're eating on any normal day & I can honestly say that it makes a pelletless diet pretty painless.

There's many helpful discussions about mash & chop on GF.

https://www.google.com/search?q=greyforums.net+chop+site:www.greyforums.net&client=firefox-a&hs=XML&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=664

These are a couple that might be a good place to start. Don't let Shanlung scare you! lol There's a number of ways to approach this. It's all in what you feel comfortable with. Also, I think if you were to make the commitment, you'll find you'll become more comfortable w/time & more adventurous as you go along.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?194243-Mash-amp-Chop&p=241001&viewfull=1

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190007-Tinkerbell-Mash-Best-food-by-far-for-your-Grey

I purchased from a breeder a 16 week old African Grey Congo. She doesn't believe in pellets. For the first week I was home I spent everyday cutting up veggies, boiling beans and basically trying to meet his dietary needs. It was very time consuming. When I took him to the Vet for his wellness check she laughed at my breeder. She insisted that I get him on pellet's, give him 4 nutri balls in the morning and 4 at night and offer a few fresh veggies and fruit as treats. Feeding my bird is now 100% easier and he seems very happy. Does anyone else NOT feed their parrots pellets?

****She insisted that I get him on pellet's, give him 4 nutri balls in the morning and 4 at night and offer a few fresh veggies and fruit as treats.*****

Personally, I think your vet has a big problem in his her way of thinking. She shouldn't be giving out info when he doesn't know what she's talking about.****offer a few fresh veggies and fruit as treats*** That's ridicous !! Veggies should be the main item that a person should aim for. Just about everyone here and other forums will say the same thing.

Pellets -----pellets art artificial. Loads of birds don't like pellets which isn't unusual. There's no pellet trees in the wild that greys or other parrots go to are can find. Many greys and other parrots don't like all types of veggies. That too isn't unusual. Concerning veggies, a person has to find out which veggies the grey will accept. That takes a while but necessary. When you're fsinhed searching, don't be surprised if your bird has decided that he/she only likes a few different kinds. That too isnt unusual. Keeping a decent quality seed mix available all day long is important. Birds eat differently than humans. There's no breakfast, lunch or supper.

What happens to those greys that will never accept any pellets permanently? Are they in poorer shape than those that eat pellets? I have breeders that won't touch pellets. That's not unusual. 2 of my 3 pet greys won't touch pellets. The breeder hens are large, healthy and don't have calcium problems and never get any bad health reports when the hens go to the vet once a year.

Edited by Dave007

I had a Grey that lived over 50 years. Most of his life all he ate was mostly fresh fruit & vegetables & some Parrot Seed Mix. My Grandparents, his original owners, were farmers, and always had lots of many kinds of fresh foods. For themselves, and their birds and other pets. He died more than 19 years ago, so many pellets were not available then. He ate some towards the end of his life, but lived on fresh foods & seed mix. I'm not against pellets, but, a good balanced diet would contain some of everything available.

Yes, I think it is more important to give fresh veggies and fruit with the avicakes and nutriberries as treats. I have a supply of pellets available to my birds at all times. My TAG eats very little of them, my Sun Conure eats them all the time, the Tiel also eats very little. They are getting seeds in the cakes/berries but I also give a tablespoon or so of a seed mix a couple of times a week.

Sweetgrey, this evening as I was preparing dinner, it struck me while Inara was on my shoulder "helping," that one way you can work in more fresh food is to have your Grey participate in your own meal preparation. This was a major part of Inara's being receptive to changing from her former diet to much healthier fare overall. She really enjoys nibbling on the fresh veggies, nuts and seeds, that I'm washing and making into salad, she likes bites of fresh cooked brown rice and/or tabouleh. This evening she insisted on claiming a small red pepper as her own and happily munched and supervised. Greys are social eaters and they learn what to eat (in nature) from their parents and flock mates. If you are happily eating and munching away and your Grey sees you doing this as you're preparing food, it can be a lot of fun and good bonding time for you both. It may be easier in my home because we eat primarily vegetarian to begin with.

Often, we can get wrapped up in the various formulas for how to get the best X into a diet, and we can overlook the simple day to day interactions that benefit your companion in many ways. I bet you can figure out lots of ways to increase the fresh aspect, as well as increase foraging activity, and up close and personal interaction while still having a balance that works for your own personal life, bird, and schedule. :)

Inara's guardian is right on the money! My birds also eat with me, and "help" prepare the meals. They share my oatmeal in the morning, my bread & salad at lunch, and any veggies & fruit & whatever at dinner. And at each meal, they get their own portions. I only shoo them away when I am actually cooking at the stove. We all enjoy that time together. Plus, they get a bit of good foods that I can be sure they are eating.

Of the three birds I have only my grey will eat pellets, I keep a bowl in her cage with some in it at all times but the other two birds will not touch pellets but as long as they have a well rounded diet then they are not necessary. The other's suggestions about eating with the flock is right on, they like to be a part of whats going on and meals are no exception.

Brutus likes his organic pellets with red palm oil (he likes that they crunch), but he primarily eats a fresh food diet. So I don't have to make new food every day I have developed some things I do to save a little time. I have 3-4 cooked mixes of veggies, grains, and beans that I cook in quantity and freeze in little daily containers. With a couple of defrosted containers of those I mix red palm oil and flax and chia seed for the day. Most of the bowl, though, is fresh fruits and vegetables cut up every four days and put into individual containers. So everyday is fresh fruits and veg, plus a cooked veg, bean, and grain mix. Occasional foods are wild caught sardines & salmon, cooked chicken drumstick bones, scrambled egg, and nuts. Once in a while I give a little piece of gmo-free, saltless potato chip or cheese. Brutus LOVES chips! SALT IS VERY BAD FOR BIRDS THEY CANNOT EXCRETE IT!

I think your vet telling you that nutriberries are enough is like telling a human those shakes-in-a-can are enough for proper nutrition, and we all know that is not true. Greys thrive on a varied diet, just like we do.

• Haha 1

I take the time one day a month and/or week whatever is needed to "cook" for Marco. I make birdie bread then divide it into pieces and freeze the other sections. I make beans and make cubes of them and freeze the other sections and take out what I need and thaw it. I give her the fresh veges/fruit daily she doesnt like the seed/pellets either. Its just like cooking for your children <shrugs> doesnt bother me much.

But I do like the link you put up there Talon and I am going to try and get me some of that see if marco likes it :D thanks!

All have great advice. Even when your bird throws against the walls veggies, keep introducing. Sophie also participates at dinner.She was a great influence on my boys. I always said " If you won't try it...nor will she!" They tried it! Sophie and Sean still won't eat broccholi, while Ryan and I love it. Sophie and Sean LOVE cauliflower, Ryan HATES it. Nancy

wanna get your grey and other birds to eat their pellets?

1. Place the pellets in a food process and blend until powder

2. Heat up about two tablespoons of water

3. Add the powder to the water until its similar consistency of oatmeal

4. If your bird likes bananas, add a small amount and mix well

*caution be careful of the temp before you feed it to your bird (don't burn their crop)

My birds will only eat this if it is just the right temp, too cold and forget it. Both my grey and sun conure would NEVER touch their pellets. After months of trying everything to get them to eat it, this technique finally came to me. They were afraid of the spoon for the first week, but once they got a mouth full they couldn't get enough. Now when my gray Rosie is hungry she will say "yum". If you listen carefully you can hear her! I feed them every night before I head off to bed. Good luck!