NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Having trouble getting fresh fruits and veggies

Breezy2013

People will have a tough time relating to my post because most people live in urban areas. I am very rural, think nothing around, no stores. I am almost into canada so fresh fruits and veggies are hard to come by. I can however get frozen fruit and berries. Dont know if these, thawed would be okay for Breezy. We do have apple trees, hickory nuts and raspberries all over the property but that is only during our very short summers. Winter and such things are hard to come by. Can I use frozen fruits and berries? During the summers I also give my birds dandelion greens but now they are dead and under two feet of snow. Just put it this way every time we get fresh apples, bananas and oranges in our store I am right on it and grab them and buy them. Only problem is everyone else wants to buy them too. I have one apple and one orange left. Guess it is time to drive from store to store again and look for more.

You can feed him any fruit & vegetables that you would feed yourself, except onions, avocado & mushrooms. Whether they're frozen, fresh, dried, freeze dried, dehydrated, cooked or raw. That is, of course, if he'll eat it! :) So give him whatever you're making for dinner for yourself. My birds eat (well, are served) whatever I'm cooking for myself, or any fruit & veg that I have on hand. I didn't include chocolate on the list of no-no's because in my house, it is not fruit or vegetables. :)

OMG! That is awesome! They have a great selection. Should I rehydrate them or just feed them dry? Thanks so much! They do get some of our dinner Bailey's Papa but the veggies are all frozen. That is pretty much all we can get here :(

Edited by Breezy2013

About a year ago when luvparrots mentioned this company, I bought some of their products and they are fantastic. We use the dried spinach in soups and it is really good. We use the celery, carrots and other veggies in rice pilaf. We have eaten it right from the bag and haven't ordered anything we haven't liked. When we go "back home" we are in the rural space like what you describe, but even when we come back home and have five huge well stocked grocery stores within a five mile radius, I still like the convenience of having a freeze dried pantry for making soups, beans and all of those things I can share with our parrots.