NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beaking.

Mistyparrot

Misty cannot resist beaking glass bottles, mugs and plates. He hasn't tried windows yet. He seems to like the noise it makes. Do your Greys do this or is this just a Misty quirk ?

Steve n Misty

Well, since your post is very short and doesn't contain more specific information on such a serious subject I'll ask ---do you mean knocking over glass ware or actually chewing it? Either way, it's obvious that you're giving your bird too much free play. If you're doing this, your bird is now the boss which isn't good. Parrots shouldn't have access to any type glassware or very thin sharp plastic items. Accidental breakage and possible injury could occur. If it's very easy for him to get to these different items, that has to be stopped.

Edited by Dave007

Dave, I think what he means is when you are eating, they like to flick their beak on your plate just to hear the sound. Talon will flick her beak on many things just to hear the 'cling' sound. When I offer her a drink out of a small glass cup I am holding, she takes a small sip, then goes cling, then another sip, then cling, so on and so forth until she pushes it away to signal she's done drinking.

Well, since your post is very short and doesn't contain more specific information on such a serious subject I'll ask ---do you mean knocking over glass ware or actually chewing it? Either way, it's obvious that you're giving your bird too much free play. If you're doing this, your bird is now the boss which isn't good. Parrots shouldn't have access to any type glassware or very thin sharp plastic items. Accidental breakage and possible injury could occur. If it's very easy for him to get to these different items, that has to be stopped.

No no Dave. Not breaking :eek:. Beaking.:) That is tapping his beak on hard surfaces to make a "dink dink" sound.

Steve n Misty

Dayo likes to "Tap" on glass, ceramic, windows etc. He will as talon described walk over and tap on a cup for example and look up to see if it's ok to take a drink. I believe he pretty much knows if I don't move the cup or glass he can go ahead and enjoy. He taps on the windows when we are outside to get our attention. They do seem to like tapping on many things that make a distinct sound from glass, to tin, aluminum, steel, plastic etc. Well, at least dayo does anyway.

Dave is right though in regards glass items etc. that they can pull over, break and harm themselves with. Dayo one time pull over a very large vase and thank god it did not land on a toe or him. It probably weighed 5 pounds and would have certainly hurt him severely.

Beaking or tinkling glass is not something my greys or zon do. Ringing bells now that is something they love to do. If they want a drink, they just come on by and wait until I position the glass for a sip.

Always Ana Grey first, then Sterling Gris and then the sentinel, Louie, last.

Edited by luvparrots

Timber wants to "feel" everything with his beak. If he like the sound it makes (and he loves noises) he will tap on the object to hear it again. He seems to test everything with his beak. When he is on the floor (something I don't encourage), he will sweep the tile, wall or whatever is near like he is testing for stability. He will run his beak over my skin and my clothing etc. also. I always thought it was like our fingertips, their beaks are what they use to "feel" things.

HRH Inara also will do some exploratory beak taps, especially if it is translucent or clear. It seems to fascinate her, perhaps like a "force field" would fascinate us if we ran into one. She also prefers to play with acrylic things over wooden things. It is as if she prefers the smoothness and the clicking/tapping noises.