NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Planning of getting a CAG!

Hello All,

It's nice to find this forum! It has a lot of information for new and seasoned bird owners.

I have a Female Eclectus parrot; she is 9 months old. I have her for almost 3 months now. She is extremely docile and social. When I am at work, she is alone at home with food, water, toys and music - along with my 6 year old yorkie mix. The bird cage faces my patio; patio has a lots of trees, water fountains and hence wild bird movement that she loves to watch.....

I am thinking of getting a Confo African Grey baby. I will house both the birds in separate cages next to each other. Both the cages will have the Patio view. I am thinking if I get the baby CAG now, both of the birds will be able to bond at a young age and they can grow up together and have a friend!

I want feedback from CAG owners and seasoned bird owners.

Is this a good idea? Is CAG a family friendly bird? (I do not have any kids and hence my dog and birds are my kids.....). Can my eclectus and CAG co-exist in the same household with my dog? Can they be placed on the same perch during playtime? How to introduce them to each other and to the dog? Is it too much to have 2 medium sized birds?

Any feedback, ideas are welcome and appreciated. Thank you

Welcome. Having two is not too much for many people. Will they get along - who knows. This is something that is asked a lot, but there is no one answer to it. Introducing them both while they are babies, I think, increase the chances that they will get along. But it does not guarantee it either. When you introduce them, do it in a place that neither one of them consider 'theirs' - a neutral space. I introduced all of mine this way and the two that are left still get along well enough to be out together most of the time. CAGs can be a good family bird, but some are very skittish and the large noise and sudden movement of children wouldn't work with those. Enjoy your time here and learn all you can - any information will serve you well when and if you decide to add a CAG to your family.

Welcome mypoots. I am an mature retired lady who lives alone with my parrots, pug, canary and tortoise.

I have three parrots that I can let out of their cages at the same time. Do they like each other? No, they do not interact. They can sit in the same area together but not close. They do not fight but they do not play together. My TAG is 5 and I have had her since she was 4 months old. My CAG is 3 and I have had him since he was 5 months old. My zon is a re-home that I have had since he was 1 1/2 years old. He is now 6 years old. My advice, don't get another parrot for another parrot, only for yourself.

I did have to re-home a male eclectus that I got from a pet shop, he was an older guy over 10 years old, my TAG hated him and would dive bomb him and peck at him relentlessly. The eclectus was terrified. He is a very happy guy next door with a family that love him.

Luvparrots said it best. I have 3 parrots, a cockatiel and parakeets. They all co exist, but none are so called friends. My amazon and timneh occasionally like to play tag throughout the house, they really do enjoy it, but other than that, they tolerate each other and that's it.

There is never a right answer when asked if they will get along with each other. I have 7 now, 3 greys, 2 macaws and 2 U-Too's. The only two that like each other are the macaws and they can perch together but limited time only. The rest would rather be "only" birds so we spend much time each day giving one on one attention to each. What you have to be ready for is the addtional time this will take on your part. I am lucky that i can have them all out at the same time but they also each have their own space. I have 2 neighbors who also have multipule birds and theirs can not be out at the same time at all what so ever. They get really upset with us when we can not tell them why our flock is different, it is just luck. You have to get a second ( or 3rd or 4th, lol) bird for yourself, not for your other bird. But be ready for that extra time and work involved. :-)

Janet said it best, don't get another parrot as company for a parrot get it for yourself, a grey usually won't bond to another species of parrot and lots of times won't get along with another grey, many on the forum have more than one grey and most would say they do not get along maybe just tolerate each other. I won't deny that having another parrot would be company for one another, my 3 don't get along but I think if I separated them to different rooms they would miss having the others around but then they have been together for years so that makes a difference, your eclectus is by herself for now but if YOU want a grey then by all means get one for yourself, remember it is more time commitment on your part if you do.

• 2 weeks later...