NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ultra Care, Cease Anti-Feather picking spray with aloe vera

chickabee

A friend of mine brought me a gift today that she thinks will help my Joey so he isn't always wanting to groom. It's a spray from Ultra Care called Cease Anti-Feather with Aloe Vera. I have never used this or anything like this and am not sure if it is safe even though the bottle says it is. Has anyone heard of this or used it?

You could take a shot at contacting the manufacturer But many are not the greatest at customer support. If this is what I think it is, you're probably better off dumping it.

I'm guessing that this

http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-508751

might be re-branded that

http://www.eightinonepet.com/products.php?searchkey=d243&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&cats=30&search=

I found these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-Pet-Products-Cease-Pick/dp/B0002ASYHE

http://hotloverspets.blogspot.com/2013/10/eight-in-one-products-d243-cease-anti.html

Back in the day, it was common to make or buy something called Bitter Apple for plucking birds. It's isopropyl alcohol & apple cider, basically. It discouraged *some* birds from plucking because they didn't like the taste or eye & sinus irritation of the alcohol. Once they associated these nasty results w/the apple scent, they might think twice about "eating" anything that smelled like it in future.

It's still used as a training aid for dogs & cats w/hot spots. But the alcohol can dry out skin & fur (or feathers) as well as sting any areas where the skin is irritated. Generally adding to the original problem & driving the poor beast to want to "attend" to the area even more.

Alcohol is not good to use for birds other than as an injection site sterilizer. If you spray whatever you've got on your hand & get that cool evaporation sensation or the scent of isopropyl alcohol, it's probably better off in the trash than on Joey.

Edited by birdhouse

From one of the recent reviews on Amazon:

"Purchased for my Goffins Cockatooo and discontinued after the first use. First ingredient is Isopropyl Alcohol and it smells like that is all that is in this product. My bird winced in pain when I sprayed on his plucked area and then immediately started pulling feathers right in front of me. He usually only plucks at night or while we are gone, so I could tell it was from the spray. "

So the first ingredient is Isopropyl Alcohol. As birdhouse said, not a good idea to use it.

I am so glad that you all are here to help. I was scared to use this if its not recommended from you. Even though the pet store here said they use it on their birds doesn't mean its safe or good. I read once that tomatoes are harmful so I never offer them to any of my feathered friends. I tried to tell the pet store what I read but they more or less told me I don't know what I'm talking about. It bothered me as I see them always offering them to their store mascot Candy a Cockatoo but looks like she is smarter then them as she throws them instead of eating them. I did look at the ingredients in the spray " Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Sucrose Octa Acetate, Bitter Orange Extract, Aloe Vera" I won't be even trying this and it has hit the garbage. Thanks again for your help

So those ingredients should be listed from greatest to least percent & basically read, ill advised repellent, something to add more volume, preservative (I think), scent, conditioner. Not so good.

I recently found time to investigate a sweet little pet shop that I'd discovered accidentally. The first thing they did when we walked in was give my dog a rawhide strip w/o asking.

They assured me that their brand was "special" & safe. Rather than start a fuss, I asked about the chips like any good would-be buyer & when I got home I looked them up. But I found nothing that made me think they were any different from any other brand that I wouldn't want my dogs eating. Good thing I only let Pixie keep hers until we got to the car where we traded it for a bit of leftover sandwich.

The last conversation we had was about the galvanized wire cages that they had their birds in. And by their birds I'm including the store pets as well as those that were for sale.

I was already unhappy about the rawhide as it was. When I saw that I freaked out a little. So I walked around the store until I could calmly & sweetly make a rational case & direct them to several internet sites that I really hoped would convince them to get rid of those cages.

Although I certainly do know some excellent pet stores, many others aren't the best source of information. Your local store could have been more help when you approached them about tomatoes if they'd directed you to a reliable safe & toxic list.

These are a couple of my favs, if you want to bookmark them. The first is a more comprehensive list & the other is specifically house plants.

"...Tomato Leaves

Tomatoes, like potatoes and other nightshades, have a tasty fruit that is fine when used as a treat for your bird. The stems, vines, and leaves, however, are highly toxic to your pet. Make sure that any time you offer your bird a tomato treat it has been properly cleaned and sliced, with the green parts removed, so that your bird will avoid exposure to any toxins."

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

HOUSE PLANT LIST

http://www.ladybug.uconn.edu/hotissues/safeandpoisonoushouseplants.html

"...Tomato Leaves

Tomatoes, like potatoes and other nightshades, have a tasty fruit that is fine when used as a treat for your bird. The stems, vines, and leaves, however, are highly toxic to your pet. Make sure that any time you offer your bird a tomato treat it has been properly cleaned and sliced, with the green parts removed, so that your bird will avoid exposure to any toxins."

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

Now I really have to challenge my own source because I'm uncomfortable w/the way that's written. Potatoes are in the Nightshade family & have alkaloids that parrots shouldn't eat. However, I have read that a limited amount of cooked white potato is ok. But not raw & not new shoots or eyes.

I actually rather avoid white potatoes altogether because they aren't the best nutrition. I think sweet potatoes are are just a better overall choice. They're also not in the Nightshade family & cooked or raw haven't any natural toxins.

Edited by birdhouse