NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Ontario

DWRVT

Hi, my name is Debbie and I am going to be buying an African Grey sometime in the next 12 months.

Joined this forum because I am still trying to decide whether I want a Congo or Timneh and searching out good breeders.

Looking forward to learning from others experiences!!

Hi, my name is Debbie and I am going to be buying an African Grey sometime in the next 12 months.

Joined this forum because I am still trying to decide whether I want a Congo or Timneh and searching out good breeders.

Looking forward to learning from others experiences!!

welcome to the forum :D will this be your first bird?

Hi everyone!! I currently own a quaker and a GCC. No, this will not be my first rodeo with a large parrot. I had a blue front amazon who I lost to a resp illness at an advanced age. I also worked with an avian vet for 7 years.

I put a lot of time researching into what bird would be the best fit for us but since this is my final feathered addition - have decided to go with my dream bird :)

I know that every bird will be an individual and may never fit the general characteristics of the species but I am still hoping those general characteristics can give me some guidance when choosing between a Congo or Timneh.

I am likely going to be buying a baby so I don't think that the seeing which bird choses me theory will work in this situation.

Edited by DWRVT

Hi Debbie welcome to the Grey family. Only you can decide which grey you prefer. I have one of each and if I had to choose only one it would be difficult. I will say that my TAG is more easy going and fearless and my CAG more unsure and leery. I would say that most of these traits come from the way they were weaned and cared for as babies by their breeders.

Edited by luvparrots

Hi Debbie welcome to the Grey family. Only you can decide which grey you prefer. I have one of each and if I had to choose only one it would be difficult. I will say that my TAG is more easily going and fearless and my CAG more unsure and leery. I would say that most of these traits come from the way they were weaned and cared for as babies by their breeders.

Thank-you!! Do you find your TAG a lot different from your CAG in any of the following ways:

- being strictly one person birds?

- demanding and independant entertainment?

- affectionate?

- activity level?

- mimicking ability?

- loudness?

- dust?

Welcome Debbie. It's GreYt having you here. :)

Just an FYI - A "baby" can certainly choose a person. We started visiting the breeders multiple times each week from the time the two clutches were 6 weeks old. At around week 8, two greys consistently would come to us when we arrived and the other 6 would stay more aloof. This continued until they were weaned and we brought our grey home at 16 weeks old. He is a CAG. He does consider my wife his love muffin. However, he has been well socialized since 6 weeks old and is very interactive with me as well and anyone who visits our home.

TAGs in general do have a more mellow personality. But, there are some TAGs, just like CAGs that are not so friendly and become alarmed easily. It really depends heavily on how they were brought up and socialized by the breeder and if the new potential owner had the opportunity to visit before they were weaned.

Welcome Debbie. It's GreYt having you here. :)

Just an FYI - A "baby" can certainly choose a person. We started visiting the breeders multiple times each week from the time the two clutches were 6 weeks old. At around week 8, two greys consistently would come to us when we arrived and the other 6 would stay more aloof. This continued until they were weaned and we brought our grey home at 16 weeks old. He is a CAG. He does consider my wife his love muffin. However, he has been well socialized since 6 weeks old and is very interactive with me as well and anyone who visits our home.

TAGs in general do have a more mellow personality. But, there are some TAGs, just like CAGs that are not so friendly and become alarmed easily. It really depends heavily on how they were brought up and socialized by the breeder and if the new potential owner had the opportunity to visit before they were weaned.

Good point!! I have already located a Timneh breeder that I am happy with and who lives within a reasonable driving distance. Guess the ideal situation would be to find a Congo breeder whose clutch will be ready around the same time and go meet all the babies.

However I thought if I could narrow down between the two types before-hand; I would have a much easier time picking a baby and wouldn't have to waste anyone's time.

I have not yet located a good breeder who breeds both.

Love My TAG Toulouse. He is just over a year old. I got him as a baby, love his personality, am dealing with his "one person" bent. Fortunately both my son and wife have found their place with him. Although I wasn't educated to the fact at the time, I got Toulouse from a Bird "broker". This person raised babies in rather large volumes. The original baby I had picked died suddenly, later I found out this can happen in these particular situations because of the increase risk of disease (volume of birds). The lady was very professional with me but now that I know the practice I probably would not take this avenue. My vote is a TAG, you will never be bored! Best wishes for your choice. You sound like you have the experience to make a sound choice and provide a great home for your new friend.

Steve

Love My TAG Toulouse. He is just over a year old. I got him as a baby, love his personality, am dealing with his "one person" bent. Fortunately both my son and wife have found their place with him. Although I wasn't educated to the fact at the time, I got Toulouse from a Bird "broker". This person raised babies in rather large volumes. The original baby I had picked died suddenly, later I found out this can happen in these particular situations because of the increase risk of disease (volume of birds). The lady was very professional with me but now that I know the practice I probably would not take this avenue. My vote is a TAG, you will never be bored! Best wishes for your choice. You sound like you have the experience to make a sound choice and provide a great home for your new friend.

Steve

Thank you Steve!! I have been in the situation you described. 4 years ago, I unknowingly bought a baby quaker from a bird flipper. After a very long, intensive and expensive 2 weeks together - he lost his battle to Psittacosis :( I got sick with Psittacosis as well. I realized the mistake I had made and put a lot of effort into getting to know what to look for in a breeder. I happened upon my current quaker quite by chance and she has ignited a love of birds in me that I had no idea existed. I have done a lot of research since then and have come upon a decision on a grey after much research and discussions with grey owners. I really do hope I can be a good parront to a grey!!

Hi Debby and welcome to the grey forum.

My grey Corky is a CAG and we met her when she was 9 weeks old. On our first meeting she ran up the wife`s arm and pooped on her shoulder and when she was 14 weeks old she came home with us.

Corky just turned 13 years old this month and she is vey out going, fearless and will go to almost anyone.

Both the TAG and CAG are great companions parrots and what ever you decide on I bet you will be happy with.

Hello Debbie and welcome to our family.

So glad you are planning to get a grey, no matter whether you choose a Cag or Tag you won't be disappointed for both are awesome creatures and will make an excellent companion. Don't worry about wasting our time, we love talking about our greys so ask any and all questions you may have and be sure to read thru as many of the threads as you can for there is a wealth of helpful information there at your fingertips from people who have lived with them, some members have both. I wish everyone contemplating getting a grey would do the research beforehand for it would mean less of them ending up in rehomed situations.

Thank-you!! Do you find your TAG a lot different from your CAG in any of the following ways:

- affectionate?

- activity level?

- mimicking ability?

- loudness?

- dust?

Hi Debbie, and welcome to the best forum ever! Great questions, and I'll answer from my own experience (each person's and bird is different). I was blessed to have had an Amazon and CAG share their lives with me for 20+years total. They both came to me independently from different places, both in extremely dire circumstances and conditions. Since you've had a 'zon you have an idea of size, weight, etc. My TAG (with whom I am absolutely besotted, so am warning you ahead of time that I shall try not be biased), is just shy of 2.5 years old and I refer to her as my "little" bird. She seems (to me) so small after my 'zon and CAG. I'm always a bit amazed when she steps up at how light she feels.

Now on to your list:

Do you find your TAG a lot different from your CAG in any of the following ways:

-

------- Nope. Absolutely no difference. My CAG arrived horribly traumatized, as an older wild, caught bird in the 70's who had been horribly neglected and was trying to commit birdiecide. He was alleged to have bitten the crap out of people, screamed his head off, never talked, had plucked every reachable feather out, and would refuse any human contact, was handled with thick leather gloves, and sticks. After having lived with me, over the course of a few months, his feathers came back, he began talking up a storm (he had years of "listening"), loved to take showers with me, and would easily move from my hand to others' even strangers. He kept a good relationship with my son from childhood to early adulthood, and while he was super affectionate with me (would preen my hair, eyebrows, and lashes -- yes, I know, great danger(!) and I would not recommend encouraging this type of behavior these days) he was very attached to my son also. The two of us lived alone, I was a single parent. He stopped plucking, feathered out beautifully, talked like a maniac, and continued to learn more words/phrases and clownish antics.

My TAG, Inara, came to me at 26 months and has been a complete sweetheart. She was hand fed, loved dearly by her first people, and was well socialized when she came to us 3.5 months ago. She talks up a storm, is smart as a whip, has dubbed me her favorite, but has an attachment to my husband and greets him with a happy fluff, special whistle, and will easily transfer to him and hang out with him very relaxed. She will at times, even seek him out.

Much depends on you keeping your companion socialized and active with family members. Just like humans and other companion animals, your little sweetie will naturally prefer some people and may not particularly bond with others, but if you keep her/him socialized, your fiddo will stay more relaxed about interactions which is great when it comes to Vet appointments, etc.

------------ Nope again. With all of my birds I've always kept a basic household rhythm. Not to the minute, and with enough variation so that independent play, eating, etc. is encouraged and thus becomes a habit and way of life. Inara (TAG) is a bit more demanding than Lestat (CAG) was, but she is only approaching 2.5 years old and he was much older. He also was thrilled to be in a home where he was no longer tormented and abused. Inara has known nothing but love her entire life. Although, her previous people did say that they would put her in another cage that was outside "when I couldn't stand listening to her," and one of the phrases that popped up a few times after we got her was "damn bird!" That has since extinguished. I think this probably contributed to her being re-sold at age 2. That adorable little piece of fluff that they bought eventually started to grow up and become independent and the became a typical statistic of being rehomed. If they get plenty of attention and have a rhythm, just like human children, they won't learn to scream for it, nor constantly demand to be the center of attention, and just understand that baby birds do grow up (you're already aware of this, not being new to birds).

- affectionate?

-------------- Close to call on this one. Beak and Beak, if you will. My CAG once he learned to trust me, became super affectionate (see above), but still loved and insisted upon plenty of time to himself. Inara is very affectionate and loves to plant kisses and lets me know how happy she is to be close. She loves (once she has burned through energy playing) to perch on my shoulder and she will gently put her little foot up to my lips for kisses, and then will bend down and give me smooches back. She is not, however, what I would call a cuddler, nor was Lestat. Greys in general are pretty independent birds, some would even say aloof.

- activity level?

------------- Inara (TAG) is more active than Lestat (CAG) was, but this could be attributed to age difference. She is soooooooooooo young, and he was muuuuuuuuuuuch older.

- mimicking ability?

----------------- Nope. No difference whatsoever. Huge talkers, both of them, and this speaks to (no pun intended) how environment can and will enhance or inhibit behaviors. Lestat was alleged to never have spoken or done anything but click, whir, and shriek for the years that his first "owners" had him. He became abused because of their frustration at having bought a very expensive bird and then what they saw as his refusal to "perform." When in a completely different environment with peace, love, patience, and no expectations for him to be anything but a bird, he thrived and unleashed a veritable storm of pent up words and phrases (often in appropriate context) that he had stored in his brain. Inara, too, is a great talker and I can only anticipate how she is likely to outpace Lestat simply due to their very different beginnings and lives.

- loudness?

---------------- Nope. Not a difference at all. In fact, for my "little" bird, I was quite taken aback that her capacity for volume does not seem to be inhibited by her size.

- dust?

----------------- I do have to say that in looking back, I believe that my CAG was a bit more dandery than Inara. She doesn't seem to throw as much dander. The only thing I do differently with her, is that I only use filtered water to mist her with, and only filtered water in her bathing bowl also. Chlorine dries skin and we live in a very arid climate and have chlorinated water on top of it. I mist her and misted Lestat every other day until nearly soaked, with just a very light mist every day. Lestat used to shower with me, on my shoulder and loved it! Again, however, the water was chlorinated, and was very hard water as is the water in our current home. So that may have contributed to his dryness and more dander.

To sum it all up? With my N of only 2 (1 CAG vs. 1 TAG) I see virtually no difference other than size and coloring. I was in school and then grad school when I had Lestat (CAG) and he sailed through parties, late night studying, my being gone long hours in my lab, and teenage boys coming and going from the house and he did it all with aplomb. If he was not keen on something or someone, he would spread his wings and give a firm "arrakarak" sound and stare down what/whomever was the offender.

Inara (TAG) has dealt with everything thrown her way with grace and poise except for the occasional startle response to something loud, or highly unusual (like seeing the Quaker Oat Man on a box of oatmeal for the first time!).

I also believe that both experiences above are great examples of how one does not have to get a baby bird in order to develop fantastic bonds and to have companions that are talkative and wonderful companions. My 'zon never spoke a word, and had Lestat never spoken a word, I would have loved him just as deeply. Certainly we all hope for a companion Grey that will be a great talker, but due to circumstances and/or personality that may not be the case.

Like the others who have already advised, I would also encourage you to visit with several birds, consider even a very young bird that needs a new home, and trust your own instincts. When I chose Inara and Inara chose me, I was looking for another CAG. I visited with three CAGS and was working on making up my mind, when I met Inara. It was love at first sight for both of us, and I was completely taken aback at how instantly she put me under her little TAG spell! That being said, I would give anything to have had a few more decades with my beloved Lestat.

Final verdict? -- It's not so much (in my experience) about which type, it's about the bird her/himself.

Can't wait to discover whom you come home with, and am sincerely looking forward to hearing all about your new addition!! :) :)

Edited by Inara

You have gotten some great feedback on your question. I only have a CAG, but before I decided on my Gracie, I was in the same position as you. I had read a lot about TAGs being less fearful, more social, and less likely to feather pluck. When it came to talking ability, most websites said that there was no difference, but I ran across several sources that seemed to favor CAGs in the talking department. Having been a member here and reading posts from both CAG and TAG owners, I have come to the conclusion that the differences are pretty small overall. There is probably much more variation within each group than between them. I really don't think you can go wrong with either. Having said that, I will answer your questions regarding my experience with my CAG. I live alone, but even so Gracie is not a one person bird. She loves many people once she has gotten to know them. She is not demanding in terms of my attention. She wants me around and enjoys my company, but she enjoys her independence. As far as affection, Gracie is not very physically affectionate. She like to caress me with her beak, but she doesn't like a lot of touching. As far as activity level, Gracie loves her toys and loves flying around and exploring, but she also likes her quiet time. She is not a handful in terms of mischief--she basically knows the house rules and abides by them. As far as mimicking ability--Gracie is really amazing in my opinion. She started talking at about 10 months and has a vocabulary in the hundreds of words. She is only 2 and a half, and I quit counting her vocabulary after about 250 words. She uses her words meaningfully and creatively, and she has a wicked sense of humor. She is not loud. I live in a condo, and she has never bothered my neighbors. Her voice is no louder than mine. I don't notice much of a dust problem. I bathe her regularly and do normal house cleaning and all is well. She doesn't pluck, is not a biter, and is cautious of new things and people, but not phobic in any way. She just likes to observe and make sure things are safe before exploring. It doesn't take long. That describes my life with Gracie. As I said though, I don't think you can go wrong with either a TAG or CAG.

Edited by JeffNOK

Hi Debby and welcome to the grey forum.

My grey Corky is a CAG and we met her when she was 9 weeks old. On our first meeting she ran up the wife`s arm and pooped on her shoulder and when she was 14 weeks old she came home with us.

Corky just turned 13 years old this month and she is vey out going, fearless and will go to almost anyone.

Both the TAG and CAG are great companions parrots and what ever you decide on I bet you will be happy with.

LOL- Well I guess she really did pick you and your wife :) It is great to hear that she seems to be a well adjusted bird!! Thanks for your input!!

Hello Debbie and welcome to our family.

So glad you are planning to get a grey, no matter whether you choose a Cag or Tag you won't be disappointed for both are awesome creatures and will make an excellent companion. Don't worry about wasting our time, we love talking about our greys so ask any and all questions you may have and be sure to read thru as many of the threads as you can for there is a wealth of helpful information there at your fingertips from people who have lived with them, some members have both. I wish everyone contemplating getting a grey would do the research beforehand for it would mean less of them ending up in rehomed situations.

Thank-you, I am happy to have found this forum!! I am glad to hear multiple grey owners telling me that I won't be dissapointed with a grey. I am truly looking forward to the deep bond that people say they have with their humans (even if they are not necessarily cuddly). The more I read about them - the more I am sure we will do just fine together. I really don't want to ever have to give up on one of my babies so it was very important to me to research which breed I wanted to spend the rest of my life with :)

Hi Debbie, and welcome to the best forum ever! Great questions, and I'll answer from my own experience (each person's and bird is different). I was blessed to have had an Amazon and CAG share their lives with me for 20+years total. They both came to me independently from different places, both in extremely dire circumstances and conditions. Since you've had a 'zon you have an idea of size, weight, etc. My TAG (with whom I am absolutely besotted, so am warning you ahead of time that I shall try not be biased), is just shy of 2.5 years old and I refer to her as my "little" bird. She seems (to me) so small after my 'zon and CAG. I'm always a bit amazed when she steps up at how light she feels.

Final verdict? -- It's not so much (in my experience) about which type, it's about the bird her/himself.

Can't wait to discover whom you come home with, and am sincerely looking forward to hearing all about your new addition!! :) :)

WOW :) Thank you so much for all the time you spent helping me!!

I truly appreciate the comparisons from someone who has experience with both.

It is so nice to know that I have people who are honestly ready to help and looking forward to hearing about my new fid!!!

I am keeping my eyes on the local rescue sites as well as my local online listings to see if there are any greys whose owners would like to meet me - just incase someone who sounds great pops up needing a new home.

Edited by DWRVT

You have gotten some great feedback on your question. I only have a CAG, but before I decided on my Gracie, I was in the same position as you. I had read a lot about TAGs being less fearful, more social, and less likely to feather pluck. When it came to talking ability, most websites said that there was no difference, but I ran across several sources that seemed to favor CAGs in the talking department. Having been a member here and reading posts from both CAG and TAG owners, I have come to the conclusion that the differences are pretty small overall. There is probably much more variation within each group than between them. I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

That describes my life with Gracie. As I said though, I don't think you can go wrong with either a TAG or CAG.

That information was very helpful - thank you!! I am glad to hear someone else found the same info as I did and found that there was not a lot of difference in TAGs and CAGs after all. This makes me feel ok with being less concerned about the type and focusing on finding my bird.

Depends on how much meat you want flying through the air in your living room. I don't know why I find that funny. We chose 460 grams of flying Grey chicken.

LOL - unless 460 gms creates enough draft to knock pictures off my walls - I would be ok with that :)

LOL - unless 460 gms creates enough draft to knock pictures off my walls - I would be ok with that :)

Hate to tell you but...... I have a 305 g; and a 505 g and one more in the middle and they can shake/bounce the glass pictures off my hallway. They have done it several times. Three whirlwinds going through the hall, very invigorating and windy.