NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Love bites hurt!

mabdewn

Hi everyone,

So my 2 year old CAG, Amanda loves me. Plays with me. However, her "love bites" tend to be a little bit too hard. She doesn't draw blood or anything, but hurts like hell.

Anybody here a specific technique to communicate or tell the birdie to be gentle with their love bite?

Cheers

Sammy

As soon as Amanda bites put her back in her cage . Tell her "no bite" and go away. You can let her know are a bit cross but do not go over the top. After a few minutes go back and say "You be a good girl" "Amanda come out" in a warm voice and let her out to play with you again. If all goes well she will understand that biting is not acceptable and she will learn to ask to come out of her cage. You may find there are certain play moves that you do that cause her to nip so obviously avoid those. Of course it is normal for Greys to feel you with their beaks and they may not realise that their sharp pointy beaks can hurt with very little pressure. So you need to let them know. That is what I did with Misty. I had a particular problem with him tweaking my ear to get my attention where if I failed to respond in a timely fashion the tweak became painful nips. The short sharp prison treatment worked well. I now have no problems with Misty near my ears or face. Of course every Grey is different and you have to have a strong mutual trust before you can let them anywhere near your face. I am sure things ill work out just fine with you both.

Steve n Misty

Think Steve said it perfectly. There are some times when they don't quite realize how strong & sharp that beak really is. So if you just keep letting Amanda know w/o any fun drama (because sometimes they also like to tease), she'll figure it out pretty quickly. Sounds like you're relatively happy together other than that, though. :)

There is a difference between an intentional hard bite when they draw blood and when they apply firm pressure. It sounds like yours is the latter and I agree with the others that state to give your grey feedback in regards how hard the bite is. This is what I do with my grey Dayo when he bites too hard. In the case of the bloodletting bites, I agree with others to say no bite loudly and to cage him for five minutes.

Edited by danmcq

Another thought is about play time. Some of our greys get overly excited during what they used to like as boisterous play. Just in case this is what happens, help her by redirecting to a different activity before she gets too absorbed. Another note is to be aware during play that rubbing their back as they become mature could stimulate a sexual response and sometimes precipitates a bite. More than likely you know her well enough to know that she is giving you a chomp that is intentional and you are setting guidelines for her.

some great advice posted above...

with charlie a stern "NO BITING" and the evil stare straight at charlie does the trick :) .. although its usually during play when he is over excited he usually nips a bit hard, but he quickly gets the message ...

charlie did surprise me the other day, he was getting a tickle sat watching tv, he must of been that comfortable and drifting off that when i stopped he literally dived across the couch and grabbed my finger HARD haha as i was not expecting it or looking a did give a little scream out :) haha yes it did hurt ...

All have great advice! Steve said it plain and simple. NO bite! Return to cage, pick up again in five minutes. I was more extreme. I had a timeout cage with no toys. ( Very big.) Sophie always went into timeout, whenever she bit too hard. Kids had to be onboard and treat her the same. Consistency is the key. It did take six months though, so be ready to be patient.Nancy