NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Petcam recommendations

SRSeedBurners

Anyone use a petcam to monitor their birds while away/at work? Our bird room is nearing completion and I'm wanting to put an IP netcam (standalone) in the room to check in on them during the day. Wife stays home with them most of the time but we're coming up on a situation where she may need to be away for a few weeks and I don't want them to have to stay caged all day since they're not used to that.

Any recommendations?

You can use any ordinary web cam (no matter if HD or not) your computer and good internet connection. You don't need to have permanent live feed/link to watch over birds - just create new Skype "parrot-account" and set the auto-answer-video option when income calling. This way you can "skype-call" your home any time you want and Skype will automatically answer and video will automatically turn on so you can watch your birds and they will see you (if you have monitor or lap top in their room). Also you can interact with them. This si cheap and convenient solution.

I have a few standing wireless web cam. D-Link, it cost me $99 at Best Buy over a year ago. It is very easy to set up, my birds ignore it now and the best part, it as a mobile app so I can watch them anytime I want. It only has one way sound, I didn't want 2 way because I didn't want them thinking I was how and not coming to see them, but you can get 2 way audio. My daughter also watches them on her phone as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my camera setup. Bought the Foscam FI9826W. Not sure how anyone who is not tech minded would ever get through the configuration on one of these. I guess they have really good tech support. Took me a while beating on my router and the camera to get them to work together. Finally have it up and running in the bird room.

Found out Greycie is not as innocent as we believe she is. Within the first hour I caught her walking around on the floor and poking her head under the closet door to see what was in there. She tried pulling on the door but it would open. Then she went under my desk - previously I thought she never went near my desk as I keep it covered with a blanket. Now I know she's into every thing when I'm not looking. She actually keeps checking the entrance door, I'm guessing to see if she's going to get caught because she's definitely doing stuff I never see her do when I'm present.

Timbersmom or anyone else - any recommendations for a WAN client? Foscam definitely does not have their sh*t together with the software on this device.

- The chrome extension they publish is causing extension crashing issues on Windows7 boxes with the latest Google Chrome browser.

- Their IP camera client 'Super Client' is providing an intermittent still but no live video stream (I'm hooked up to the router directly - no wireless - not yet).

- IE requires you run in compatibility mode and I still can't get a feed on that.

Any ideas on another client to try? It's kind of silly, once I leave my LAN, all I can get to the camera with is my smart phone and the free app they provide.

Jeez, I don't think I can help, other than to say my D-link was inexpensive, simple to set up and I access it on all computers and any cell phone anytime.

I went with Foscam to get the zoom feature. With a 70-degree field of view (similar of 66 in the DLink model) sometimes I cannot find my Caique unless I zoom in. This is on my HTC phone mind you where the resolution is pretty crappy. I can see him without zoom on a PC but I bought this for use with my phone. The D-Link with zoom starts at $900+ (there goes Greycie's college fund).

Just for gits and shiggles, I checked D-Links support forum. There's no shortage of Do's and Don'ts and I can't connects, and just general whining about stuff not working. It goes with the territory - technology.