NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Middle East !

Lamya

Hello everyone, I am Lamya, a new member from the middle east, Kingdom of Saudi arabia.

I am a cat lady, and probably a cat lady for life! I have been taking care of cats and loving them ever since I was 7 years old, I think of them as my own babies, and sometimes my brothers lol!

This is my first year in college, and I feel so free!

I have been thinking about it for many years, and i've decided to give my cats better homes.

they are 6 cats, and I got to the conclusion that each one of them deserves a loving home, they deserve better and I know it.

they are all great and they make me laugh all the time, but I think that there are a lot of people out there that will love them more than I would.

I am the type of girl that stays home at weekends, lay on a couch, cuddle with the cats all over me and chat with them, yes I believe in interacting with pets :P

I talk to animals as if they were humans!

So I was thinking, what am I going to do all alone when my cats are off to better homes?

I've been reading about parrots for more than 4 months now, and I thought:

I have so much time for one, I am capable of taking care of one, and I really need a new friend!

The reason I thought about getting a parrot, is that I got a canary as a pet a while ago, and I am fascinated at it, i read most about african grey's watched videos, went to libraries and read books about them and even went to visit the pet store more than twice just to hang out with an african grey and study it's behaviour and how to bond, and I finally decided to get one.

I've been visiting pet stores ever since, looking at the best type of cages, toys, and etc for my future little buddy, it's eating my mind and now i started having day dreams of having a CAG lol!

I have read SO much about them, illnesses, problems, weird behaviours, why and how to deal with them, foods, toxic foods, everything, Everything!

I feel so ready to get one, but I'm just scared, i've read a lot about CAG's having so little immunity, and they get sick easily.

well here in Saudi arabia it's super hot in summer, SUPER cold in winter!

Pray for me and wish me luck! I'm buying my feathery friend soon, if anyone has advice to give me please do so! i am willing to learn more.

Hello Lamya and welcome to our family.

If you love cats so much why get rid of all of them, surely you will miss them if they mean that much to you, why not pick a favorite or two and keep, many of our members have cats, dogs or other pets along with their greys and other birds, it can work if you supervise it properly.

I am a little concerned about you getting a grey for they are a lifetime committment, like the cats would you one day decide to rehome your grey because you want more cats in your life again. This is a decision not to be taken lightly for a grey bonds to their human and suffers greatly if that bond is broken. You need to think about this long and hard to be sure this is what you really want for too many of these awesome creatures end up in rehomes because people don't think it thru. I would advise you to read thru as many of the threads here as you can for then you will have more of an idea of what you are undertaking but if it turns out this is what you really want then you will have our support, remember it is a lifetime committment.

Lamya,

I am glad you are here. You will learn a lot and all of us are happy to answer any questions you have. Greys are fantastic friends and companions, and I am blessed to share my life with one.

I do admit that your post contained some information that caused me a little concern similar to that expressed by Judygram. You introduced yourself as a cat lady who regards the cats as your babies, yet you want to give them away to "better" homes. I'm wondering why you think another home would be better? If you can't provide the optimum home for cats, why do you believe you can provide the best home for a grey? A grey requires much more time and attention than a cat. The second thing you mentioned is that this is your first year of college. You are quite young, and your life will undergo many changes in the next few years. Marriage and family will likely be down the road in the next 5-8 years or so. Will your grey still be a priority then? Grey parrots are complex, highly bonded companions. Think long and hard before making any decisions. The purchase of a grey should be made with a lifelong commitment in mind. Are you truly ready to do that at your stage in life?

Edited by JeffNOK

Hello Lamya and welcome to our family.

If you love cats so much why get rid of all of them, surely you will miss them if they mean that much to you, why not pick a favorite or two and keep, many of our members have cats, dogs or other pets along with their greys and other birds, it can work if you supervise it properly.

I am a little concerned about you getting a grey for they are a lifetime committment, like the cats would you one day decide to rehome your grey because you want more cats in your life again. This is a decision not to be taken lightly for a grey bonds to their human and suffers greatly if that bond is broken. You need to think about this long and hard to be sure this is what you really want for too many of these awesome creatures end up in rehomes because people don't think it thru. I would advise you to read thru as many of the threads here as you can for then you will have more of an idea of what you are undertaking but if it turns out this is what you really want then you will have our support, remember it is a lifetime committment.

My family are very upset of having too much cats in the house, too smelly litterboxes and that's why i thought they deserve better homes than being stacked together, I thought it over and over and I know it's a life commitment, I might keep one cat, my first, she's a siamese, but I don't intend to have as many as 6 cats anymore, it's too much for me and for them, you have a point, I know grey's can out live their owner, and i know they are sensitive little creatures, but i'm ok with that, I'd never give a grey for rehoming because it's a lifetime decision, i thought about it a lot, i'll think about it even more, thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i finally got my baby CAG, as for the cats, they are not actually mine, they are only rescues and stray cats, this is why i'm giving them away , I've been taking care of strays and fostering some for a while,get them all chubby and healthy and social, and now that i've decided i'd stop and buy a CAG.

He's a 7-8 months old CAG, hand reared.

His wings are not clipped, and he still makes the baby sounds! he is so sweet and gentile, i got him two days ago, he plays a lot and i've fed him small amounts of veggies and fruit, and sunflowers ( green peppers, carrots, kiwi and organic strawberries )

I am only able to touch his beak, i also got to scratch his head a little.

My concern is the cold, it is really cold in here, about 8 celsius at night and 10 in the morning.. i turned on an electrical heater in the same room, not too close though, and not too hot,is that ok? his previous owner said it's ok, but i needed your advice.

i Hope he gets to trust me soon, i am not pressuring him, i just sit close and talk to him, he makes chirping and goes upside down in the cage, climbing and tearing things and shredding.

Speaking of shredding, His name is Shredder..

Thank you all! this site helped me a lot, and i am still learning.

Congrats on the new baby grey. You do need to get that room up to at least a constant 20 Celsius. Below that is too cold. As I am certain you know, they are from the African equatorial zone meaning they need warm temperatures and also higher humidity for good health.

Congrats on the new baby grey. You do need to get that room up to at least a constant 20 Celsius. Below that is too cold. As I am certain you know, they are from the African equatorial zone meaning they need warm temperatures and also higher humidity for good health.

Hi ! thank you very much, the room is now warm and perfect for my little one

261eqv7.jpg

21320zo.jpg

And yay! it didn't even take me a while to get him to step up!, as soon as he got out of his cage for the first time, he walked around, then came running to my hand making baby sounds and feeling my hand with his cute tongue, then he just stepped up like that!

after that he just walks around, then comes running and bends his head as in Tickle me, and i would, whenever i stop, he just softly grabs my hand and chirps, so cute! :rolleyes:

i'm feeding him new varieties of food everyday, He loves green bell peppers and pomegranate, and he was ok with carrots, cucumber and cauliflower. ( of course with sunflower seed all the time) and the leftovers go to my canary Tweety :o

I'm planning on getting him a good quality pellet, a play cage too, and a perch stand.

Haven't bought him toys yet, i'm so excited to buy them this weekend! He NEVER stops playing!

and absolutely hates the idea of getting back in the cage, he just wants to be out there running after my hand and trying to eat my phone, and he poops a lot too.

Thank you all!! :cool: