NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Will he always be a closet talker?

kitt4kaz

Felix began talking some at 11 months. His first words were a complete sentence plain as day in my voice.

Fast forward six months....he does lots of whistles and sounds and he says a few things but ONLY if no one is in the room. If he even sees anyone in sight, he clams up.

I want him to talk around us and with us.

In your experience will this change?

Timber is 6 years old, and he is primarily a closet talker. He says the occasional word or phrase when I am with him, but the vast majority of his talking is when I am in another room or out of the house altogether. Don't know if this helps, but you are certainly not the only one with a "closet talker!"

When Inara first came to live with us between 25-26 months old, she was definitely a closet talker. I began repeating what she would say when she was practicing, and would add onto that my own commentary :> In the evenings when she would be on her mobile perch next to our supper table, for any little noise she would make, I'd say something back to her, and give her a little bite of something in that evening's supper that she liked. Eventually, she became more and more comfortable vocalizing to/with me rather than just around me. Three months later, she will chat back and forth if we are counting or she is learning a new word or if she wants to ask for a grape or cookie bite. But the majority of her chatting is when she is at home in her cage, about two to three times during the day. She does however, talk with me when I'm cleaning her cage -- she tells me "good girl," "thank you," "water," "watch out." She will often ask now, "What are you doing?" if she can't see me, and the other day asked, "What are you cooking?" when I was in the kitchen. (I usually answer her from the kitchen with, "I'm in the kitchen cooking," when she asks "What are you doing?"). But again, I'm not within visible range when those convos take place.

My first Grey, a much older CAG, Lestat, once he settled in with me (long story, can read my introduction), began talking up a storm in front of me and then in front of anyone. I agree that a lot has to do with personality. Also with time of day, and likely maturity as time goes on.

As Inara so well pointed out. They will engage over time as they learn the mechanics of actually conversing. Just learning a human word or phrase at first is a huge accomplishment. They practice, practice, practice and practice some more. They finely tune and calibrate to a point you cannot many times tell if it's the grey or the person talking. As you interact with Felix and engage him in discussing whats going on, what you have, what he wants etc. He will learn it is a two way communication and the mechanics of using those words and phrases to answer and request things when he feels the need to do so.

This evolved over years with my grey Dayo. Much like yours, at around 11 or 12 months he started closet talking and would occasionally say something related to an item he desperately wanted like Apple, Almond etc. Fast forward 6 years later and he starts and engages in limited and short conversations. He is learning the mechanics and advantages of being able to state complicated requests, questions about people, places and things he see's. I must say though, that from day one we have always engaged him in conversations even though they were very onesided for a long time. But, we could hear him in the other room just talking up a storm until we entered, just as you. :)

Edited by danmcq

This is an interesting topic. I've read much about greys being "closet talkers". This may just be a personality thing, but I believe if the grey begins to see vocalizing as a means to an end, he/she may start talking more publically. For my CAG Gracie, she knows that by using words, she gets me to do stuff. She asks for food and water, to come out of the cage, to go to bed at night, to get me to come to her, etc. She uses words to get attention and reactions from people. She talks a lot when I am out of the room, but her vocalizations are intended as contact calls--louder and awaiting my response. I don't know if she talks when alone at home, but I am getting a webcam for Christmas to monitor her while I am away, and I am curious what I will discover. Like Inara, I tend to respond to her whenever she says something. The more interactive and meaningful the better.

Edited by JeffNOK

Escher is 18 months old and is a closet talker. When he first came home he would say a fe words "step-up" "bedtime" " hello". He then graduated to small sentences" why ya doing" "Bowsey you coming". Then he learned to laugh and scream, from that point on he would only talk when in his room. A few weeks ago I bring him to bed and he said "kisses, I want kisses momma" the next night he said "Escher don't want cage". He looked surprised both times that he talked to me. I've learned over the past few months to just take it as it comes if he wants to talk to me he does and I get excited. If he doesn't want to talk that's fine we whistle together boop, laugh and make clicking noises at each other. I also have a lot of one sided conversations and that's ok. I figure when he wants to talk to me he will until then I'm trying to be patient.

Its important for those " closet talkers", to acknowledge that you " hear them", appreciate what they have to say. You don't have to do this in front of them. You can carry on many a conversation, with a wall separating. Sophie and I started with " contact calls". Progressed with simple songs I would teach her. She would repeat with certain phrases of the song. Overtime, it became a game. As our physical relationship flourished, so did our game of talking to each other, without seeing each other. Ryan my oldest, spent alot of time with her teaching her rap.Not words, but boy could she dance, have rythymn. We would play our game of " outdoing" each other. Once she felt she was losing, she would breakout into her clucking and doing her rap thing that I cant do! Game over! I would laugh... go get her.... tell her she won! Nancy

This is a very interesting discussion. I have enjoyed reading all the posts. It's very helpful sometimes to see how other Greys behave and what kind of personalities they have.

I think it depends on the bird. Mar talks, on occasion. But he is a sweet, docile bird. I can put him on my shoulder, and work around the house. If I set him on the stand and ask him to stay there, he usually will (unless I have food - if someone is eating something, all bets are off!) and he is generally sweet and friendly with everyone.

Megan will talk your head off, but is high strung and a handful. She is more prone to bite (and then will self-scold for doing so "Bad bird! Megan, don't bite the mama!"). She also is affectionately called "Megan the Destroyer". They are on the playtop right now, and I have had to get up and put things back on the playtop several times because she has tossed them overboard. She was just now trying to dump a dish of water that I had sitting on the floor of Mar's cage (then ASKING for water....*sigh*).

Each of our birds has their own personality. Some of them, like Megan and Maks, love to chatter away. Some, like Mar, are the strong silent type. I am inclined to prefer the lack of chat over a talker that keeps me busy chasing and chastising her all day! ;)

I have a tag and a cag and a BF zon. All can talk. My tag is a female and is 5. She talks only when she wants something. She is sweet, has a calm and gentle personality and is the boss of the parrots. My zon, can speak Hindu and English and talks only a little now. He likes guys and is leery of gals. He usually follows my tag's lead. He is a re-home and is 6 this month. He is gentle and very observant. My cag, is 2 1/2 he is a great talker and chats all the time. His personality is robust and busy.

Their personalities are all different and their situations (where they came from) are all different. That's what makes them great friends and wonderful companions. I am delighted that I have found homes for my cag and zon with persons who have the same types of personalities as they do and who have agreed to care for them after I am gone. The funny thing is that my most gentle and sweet parrot is the one that I have not found a future parront for. Time will make it happen.