NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

On top of cage, yes or no?

Breezy2013

Quick question for you guys. Breezy loves to sit up top of his cage but it is above my eye level. Some on here have said that wont promote aggression in a grey to let him sit up high. Others say not to let them do so. He always steps up when he climbs up there when I take him off without nipping. Think he really likes it there and his breeder let him do so so I know he prefers it. Would it hurt or make him more comfortable and make the adjustment easier if I let him do it. He does try to leave the play pen occasionally to get to his cage. He seems to feel secure on his cage. Sometimes I wonder if the whole theory is bunk about hight and domenance. My macaw has gotten up to the top of her cage occasionally too and she has never, ever bitten me. Dont really think parrots base their heirarchies on dominance anyways. I could be totally wrong just my observation after having them for many years. I have found if I respect them they dont usually bite to hurt.

I know there are different opinions on this. My experience is like yours. Timber likes to get on top of his cage too, and is higher than I am. He steps up just as readily and doesn't bite more readily when on top of the cage. In fact, when he goes to the top and comes over to where I am on the edge, it is my signal to come get him.

Birds do like the high perch for obvious reasons but I haven't had any problems with Josey being higher than me, just go about getting your grey to step up from a high position the same as you do with them at any height, if you are confident about it then you shouldn't have any problems.

Quick question for you guys. Breezy loves to sit up top of his cage but it is above my eye level. Some on here have said that wont promote aggression in a grey to let him sit up high. Others say not to let them do so. He always steps up when he climbs up there when I take him off without nipping. Think he really likes it there and his breeder let him do so so I know he prefers it. Would it hurt or make him more comfortable and make the adjustment easier if I let him do it. He does try to leave the play pen occasionally to get to his cage. He seems to feel secure on his cage. Sometimes I wonder if the whole theory is bunk about hight and domenance. My macaw has gotten up to the top of her cage occasionally too and she has never, ever bitten me. Dont really think parrots base their heirarchies on dominance anyways. I could be totally wrong just my observation after having them for many years. I have found if I respect them they dont usually bite to hurt.

*********Sometimes I wonder if the whole theory is bunk about hight and domenance. *********

You're totally right. Most parrots prefer being high up (lots of species). The reason is because they're parrots. Many other types of birds like to be higher up but as far as parrots, in the wild being higher up allows them to spot predatory birds long before they arrive. That gives them time to excape to areas which they can also see. In the home, training a bird to step up should include *stepping up* from all high, low or any area in between. If a bird doesn't step on to the finger, it's only because it's easier to avoid that finger because it simply likes it up on the cage. If you wanna have the bird go back in the cage, simply put a small favorite nut or treat in the bowl in the cage. He'll come to it. A parrot likes the freedom from a cage. Freedom can create a more well rounded personality. He's free, happy, can play with toys, can go on a playstand, can fly a bit, can definitely exersize it's wings. If a bird is a biter, it's not because he's higher than the person. That person isn't a predator. The person is the care taker. I personally believe that you shouldn't change him and the breeder deserves a pat on the back for his ideas about giving his birds some freedom. Like I said, it's just my opinion. I have greys on their cages and sometimes they try to nip me when I wanna retreive them. It simply doesn't bother me. It can bother other people. Actually, that's how the *higher up* nonsense was started.

All he does to me is test my hand with my beak before stepping down to me. He wants to make sure my hand is a secure perch. That is not the same as biting. He did bite me kind of hard the first night I had him because he didnt know me and it was nothing like my macaw biting me so maybe he is biting and it just isnt bothering me much. Doesnt hurt, anyways.

All he does to me is test my hand with my beak before stepping down to me. He wants to make sure my hand is a secure perch. That is not the same as biting. He did bite me kind of hard the first night I had him because he didnt know me and it was nothing like my macaw biting me so maybe he is biting and it just isnt bothering me much. Doesnt hurt, anyways.

Well, the biggest complaint from people concerning higher up on cage usually has to do with biting. That's what I thought you wanted to know about---sorry, but it' always good to know about for the future.

Edited by Dave007

Just know they CAN really bite very hard if they want to so want to prevent problems. He is young, only three months old. Still a baby. Just want to do the right thing with him. So far he has been really great. His breeder did awesome with him and he adjusted to us so fast. He is really friendly and confident. She is a really small scale breeder, gives them all tons of attention so I want to make sure he stays nice. Had an amazon before never a handfed grey so I am learning.

I agree - it is nice that they let us think we are in charge! LOL Since I am 4'10' almost every place in my home is higher than me! LOL I, too, have trained them to come on command so I have no problem getting them down if I need to. I do think since Peanut (TAG) has become cage territorial I might have a problem reaching my hand up to him. Glad I don't have to find out!!

I do agree that, if bird's properly trained, the height doesn't matter.

The top of my new bird's cage is above my eye level, and he readily steps up if I'm confident that he should do it.

The same applies if he is atop of the room doors, the spot he favours while having his free flight across the room.

However if he does try to bite, or better to say is about to, I just raise my voice and he readily does what I want him to ...

Step up and step down... is one of the most important thing, you can teach a bird.

Grumpy... disagree with your belief " If properly trained"... You are saying, I haven't properly trained my bird. I beg to differ!I would NEVER raise my voice to my birds. You just scare them. Nancy

The "voice raising" goes just to the acceptable level, should be well balanced of course.

I've never scared him.