NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A conversation starter!

Cinnyminis

Recently Radar has started asking, "Where's mommy?" when I leave the room or the house. This morning I was in the living room and this is what happened:

Radar: Where's mommy?

Me: I'm sitting right here.

Radar- leaning way over in my direction and puffing himself out: Hey.

It was hilarious! Also, the kids have all been home for two weeks, (The first for Thanksgiving break, the second because we all had the flu) and he is now actively seeking them out to "play" and talk to. He has learned about 5 new phrases in the past two weeks, including tonight's "hey little guy" when looking at my 7yo son. He also has started jumping onto the couch and running along the back to get to whomever he wants to talk to. Oh, and shrieking like my 4yo daughter in a temper tantrum, and belly laughing like me.

It's exciting to think he is only 15 months old and it only gets better from here!

Beth

How exciting for all of you! Radar sounds like quite the little character, and with Christmas break coming up soon with your kiddos home even more, he's going to be just chattering away. Would love to see some photos, and can't wait to hear more about his antics. :)

Radar is a CAG. He said his first word at about 3 1/2 months, but really started talking in earnest at about 9 months old. I have 7 kids so there is never a dull moment in my house, and he is out on his cage for about 8-10 hours a day. He went through a period where he didn't want anyone but me to touch him, and he is still pretty guarded about that, but he will fling toys at just about anyone. He also says words in at least 5 different voices.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on Radar's development.

Just curious, does he get to go outside? I know I say this quite frequently, but direct sunlight can often stop beginning feather plucking. It did for my guy. He started to barber his feathers at about your parrot's age. My vet suggested an outside trip (weather permitting) most days for 15 minutes. Since then Brutus has never mistreated his feathers. The health benefits are enormous as sunlight helps nutrient assimilation, as well as, conversion to vitamin D which affects ALL the body systems and their mood (brain). Really just trying to help because this simple act improved Brutus' life immeasurably.

In warmer weather, he would walk with me outside on almost a daily basis. He loves his harness! I have been leery to take him out in the 40 degree weather though, and my house is so dry, so I have been spraying both birds with aloe every few days. When the weather gets warmer, we will go back out again.