NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does barometric pressure affect the mood of your Grey?

Michellec

I've noticed that Nala is a bit agitated when we have a weather system moving in.

She's 8 months old.

Do you think this happens?

Michelle

Well, all parrots are wild animals whether they're pets or not so certain weather patterns affect them in many ways .It's known for a long time that birds will eat more as air pressure falls. This is because birds know that they have a hard time getting food during a storm and storms are usually associated with falling pressure so by having this innate ability to detect falling air pressure to predict a storm, that gives them more time to prepare much like we do by watching television or listening to the radio and then going to the grocery store.

The general belief is that birds have a very sensitive "feeling" of air pressure. So much so that it's known that they can actually detect the difference in altitude change in increments as small as 15 to 30 feet. As far as mood, a grey or other parrot will become alert, quiet and generally still much like when in the wild when they will huddle together. It's more likely that the mood will change if something unexpected happens that scares a parrot---lightning, thunder or a combo of both.

Their exact mood can't really be tested but I will say that when a parrot is in an alert mode concerning weather, it's best not to try and interfere with the bird's train of thought. A parrot may bite because the focus is on something else that's extremely important.

Yes, weather could cause a parrot to act a little grumpy.

Edited by Dave007

My CAG Gracie seems oblivious to weather. I was so worried when "Tornado Season" arrived in Oklahoma. We have so many violent storms blow through from March to June that I was sure she would be a nervous wreck. Nope--she slept through everything. Now--earthquakes are another story. Oklahoma is not known for tremors, but we have had a few in the last 2 years and Gracie flew off her perch and crashed at the slightest movement. I don't understand it. Maybe it is just her.

My CAG Gracie seems oblivious to weather. I was so worried when "Tornado Season" arrived in Oklahoma. We have so many violent storms blow through from March to June that I was sure she would be a nervous wreck. Nope--she slept through everything. Now--earthquakes are another story. Oklahoma is not known for tremors, but we have had a few in the last 2 years and Gracie flew off her perch and crashed at the slightest movement. I don't understand it. Maybe it is just her.

It doesn't surprise me at all. They can sense those tremors long before we can and it's a scary thing for them. Parrots are very used to stable, hardly movable areas to perch on and the slightest change in that stability can set them right off. Some greys even start plucking and biting their feathers when they sense ground movement.

Thanks Dave and Jeff. That makes sense.

I have to say that our lives have improved since Nala joined our family. I look at her and often wonder just how much she is soaking in ( a lot, I suspect) and what is going to come out of her beak when she begins to talk! She goes to school a few days per week and hears me repeat the same phrases in my job as a special ed teacher. She also has shown preference toward some of my students that I can see in her body language and vocializations when those students enter my room for small group or individual instruction.

I do have a rule that they can't touch Nala, but they can offer her treats and toys as long as they label the item for Nala first. They all say they are Teaching Nala. She seems to really enjoy the atmosphere and knows what "Nala, you are going to school today" means and acts "antsy" until she is in her travel cage ready to go. (Thanks to Jeff that will become easier with the pack-o-bird)

Anyway, got off the topic. Just so thrilled to share my life with a Grey!

Michelle

• Haha 1

<snip>...It's known for a long time that birds will eat more as air pressure falls. This is because birds know that they have a hard time getting food during a storm and storms are usually associated with falling pressure so by having this innate ability to detect falling air pressure to predict a storm, that gives them more time to prepare much like we do by watching television or listening to the radio and then going to the grocery store.

The general belief is that birds have a very sensitive "feeling" of air pressure. So much so that it's known that they can actually detect the difference in altitude change in increments as small as 15 to 30 feet. As far as mood, a grey or other parrot will become alert, quiet and generally still much like when in the wild when they will huddle together. ..</snip>

Dave, that is really great information. When I was little, my mother used to always say that she could tell when a storm was coming, by the way I was behaving. I used to think she was silly. I was just thinking about that yesterday, as Inara out of the blue said, "It's snowing." I have said this to her at times when it has snowed, because out of one end of her cage she has a large window view into the forest area surrounding our home. When she said it, I thought to myself that the snow is not supposed to hit us for a couple more days. However, later last evening, the temp dropped dramatically, the wind picked up and it began to snow. We're now in the midst of a very cold snap. She also, has wanted to just hang out in her cage the past couple of days, only come out for her early morning time, and her late evening time, and has declined other offers to come out, although physical check didn't indicate anything worrisome. I had mentioned to Joe last night that perhaps she feels more secure in her cage when a storm is moving in. Your answers to the question certainly now makes that clear, and why.

Very good question, and great thread!