NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do Greys really get mad at you?

Parrot Lady

I swear Smokey has been mad at me for a good 4 or 5 days , I have been working split shifts so by the time I get home it almost his bedtime , I haven't really had a lot of time to spend with him , today I was off and I gave him lots and lots of attention and he finally let me scratch his head which he hasn't done in the last 4 or 5 days , you think he was mad at me ?

• Haha 1

I'm not sure that it is anger as it is confusion. Your grey might just not understand what is happening. Why something (your being gone longer or not having time to play) is going on. I always talk to my parrots, let them know I am going to the store; that my daughter is coming over; that I am cleaning their room, etc. Try talking to your parrot maybe that will help.

I agree with luvparrots. They ABSOLUTELY get mad at us. Sophie forgives pretty quickly. Four or five days sounds more like confusion to me as well. Sophie would never hold a grudge that long. Even at Sophie's youngest... she was mad at me no longer than a day. When she got boarded for a week... she lasted about 12 hours. ( I'll show HER!) Nancy

I have only been away once--for 3 days. Gracie wasn't mad--but she acted indifferent when I returned. I wanted the kind of reception I would get from a dog after an absence--happy barks, licks. wagging tail, and exuberant joy. She just looked at me like, "I think I know you...." and went back to preening. I was crushed. I don't think I have ever seen her "mad", though.

There is no doubt they get mad. If I take something away from dayo that he is obsessed with at the moment. I can expect him to fly at my face or do a quick flapping to the back of my neck and bring on an eye watering neck pinch if I'm not fast enough to avoid it. He will also become jealous and angry if Jake gets too much loving from my wife and will literally fly and try to land directly on Jake and then follow him in hot pursuit as he fly's away.

They all have their way of letting us know... " you are a bad bad parent!" I absolutely hate the " indifference card they play". Sophie would try the " indifference" attitude... I would BEG for her forgiveness! She lasted mad at me less than 24 hours. I am always forgiven. YAY! Don't take it personally, you are going to get punished... plan on it! Nancy