NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Changing Raw Peasnuts into Human Grade Peanuts

Dave007

Take all of the unshelled peanuts out of the parrot mix.

1---Get baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil

2---lay out all unshelled nuts flat

3---Heat oven to 350 degrees

4---Cook for 15 to 18 minutes for unshelled peanuts or

20 to 25 minutes for shelled peanuts. The time is different because unshelled nuts will retain more heat in the shell. Shelled nuts need that extra time in the oven

5---Let them cool to room temp.

The nuts will then be human grade and ideal for parrots or people.

All germs or illnesses which come from raw nuts will be destroyed

Doing this saves money if you have the habit of throwing away raw shelled or unshelled nuts.

• Haha 1

My Poly always prefer roasted peanuts over raw :) It is one whole true that temperature of 175C (appx 350F) will kill the germs and peanut will be safe for use.

Apart from this "be safe" aspect, it seems that roasted peanuts are even healthier to birds and human than raw.

There is a study that shows that roasting peanuts magnifies their antioxidant power. Researchers at the ARS Market Quality and Handling Research Unit in North Carolina tested this concept by roasting peanuts to 362 degrees F for time periods ranging from one up to seventy-seven minutes. After the roasting process, the roasted peanuts were examined to determine the level of antioxidants they retained. The dark roasted peanuts had a greater concentration of antioxidant-rich phenols as well as higher concentrations of vitamin E. The researchers believe the heat used during the roasting process protects the vitamin E in roasted peanuts from being oxidized itself .

Most people are surprised to learn that peanuts in general have more antioxidant power than many common fruits that are known for their antioxidant punch. These poly-phenol antioxidants are enhanced when peanuts are roasted. In addition, they're a good source of monounsaturated fats to help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Unfortunately, there's some question as to whether the monounsaturated fats in peanuts break down under the high temperatures associated with roasting. Peanuts also have the distinction of being the nut with the highest protein content.

What about other nuts? This time of year we're finding all sorts of nuts in the stores (and under our walnut trees). Should they be roasted as well?

I was referring to what's also known as * unshelled *monkey* nuts which is found in most parrot mixes. Because of the bad reputation that this type of raw nut concerning certain germs that make birds very ill, most people remove the nuts and discard them or just throw them out for the squirrels and other outdoor animals. Roasting these nuts makes them safe and they are the exact same nuts that are sold in supermarkets for human consuption. If your store is selling any nuts they're already most likely for human consumption. As far as outdoor raw walnuts, I have no idea about them. PLUS, walnuts are never in parrot mixes. Many birds don't like walnuts but if you like walnuts for yourself, your store is the safest place to get them.

Edited by Dave007

One walnut, twice a week, is a nice addition to Grey's diet. I give my Poly occasionally whole raw walnut (with shell- thoroughly washed) and he enjoys breaking it and eating it peace by peace. Many people use them as rewards in training sessions, they are great motivators. Be moderate with walnuts - they are high in oil and fat.

I have not heard of anyone roasting them unless for cake preparation ;)

I don't know why I said walnut. I meant pecans. We have multiple pecan trees on our property. It's a race to see who can get them first: us, the humans wandering around looking for free nuts or the squirrels. Squirrels are winning.

"""I don't know why I said walnut. I meant pecans.""" ------You're forgiven. We know you're nuts anyway.

NOW, back to the famous pecan, that nut isn't in parrot mix either. Who knows, maybe outdoor wild pecans are safe to eat as is. Maybe they're not the type of nut that gets cooked or roasted. I've tried to give my greys pecans and they won't have anything to do with them. Unshelled almonds are very high on their list of favorites. They're good for a parrot concerning biting, cracking, chewing. PLUS, it takes a while for them to finish working a almond which is fine with me because they can be a pain in the ass. I get a much needed break.

PS --LATEST BREAKING NEWS------Pecans don't need to be cooked in order to be eaten.

Edited by Dave007

Dave as I laughed about the almond tactic for distracting a pain in the ass I had a flash of insight. This is exactly why my husband takes me to fabric shops. Hours and hours watching football when I might otherwise be looking for help with my task list or wanting to talk. Clever diversions. It benefits me to let him keep his secret weapon.

In addition to roasted peanuts, my two greys routinely eat: walnuts, pecans, almonds, and one will work hard on almonds in their shells to get the almonds out. They don't seem to like cashews. I considered pine nuts but, at $18 a pound, and the birds being so very picky, I decided I could not afford to try. Now, if I could only get them to eat peas, beans and the like .......

The problem I have with peanuts is two-fold:

First, peanuts are a major source of aflatoxins. Aflatoxin is a toxin produced by fungi of the Aspergillus family. Once produced, the toxin remains even though the contaminated product is heated, roasted or otherwise cooked. Aflatoxin is not only one of the most potent carcinogens known to man but also highly mutagenic. This means the effects can be passed on to offspring.

Here is some good information on aflatoxin:

http://www.icrisat.org/aflatoxin/aflatoxin.asp

I am also very careful about other nuts. If it looks musty, grey or dirty, we don't eat it. Aspergillus is nearly ubiquitous so many things harbor aflatoxins, though peanuts seem to be a more common culprit. I suppose this is to be due to their underground nature, which is a naturally moist environment. But anything that looks even remotely musty or dusty does not pass our QC here.

The second reason we avoid peanuts is that a protein that is the major allergen also functions as a trypsin inhibitor (interferes with protein breakdown) and this function, according to this NIH article, is enhanced by heating the peanuts - which also means roasted peanuts may be more likely to produce allergic reactions as well. This study is contrary to most of the information I have read as fact, as it was assumed heat caused a breakdown of the protein and as such a breakdown of its ability to inhibit protein breakdown.

Here is a link to the abstract of the study:

"http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12847498

Peanuts don't supply anything special that we can't get from other nuts so I have pretty much eliminated them from the birds diet, except in Nutriberries and we are phasing those out as well for other reasons.

Of course, I must give a disclaimer here. I am an RN and an extremely over-protective mother so you can take my paranoia into account. I tend to do lots of research and err very extremely on the side of caution. So yes, I am a bit of a health nut when it comes to my babies. (Another disclaimer - I don't practice what I preach, lol, but my diet has improved since having birds *hides jelly donut wrapper*) .

In addition to roasted peanuts, my two greys routinely eat: walnuts, pecans, almonds, and one will work hard on almonds in their shells to get the almonds out. They don't seem to like cashews. I considered pine nuts but, at $18 a pound, and the birds being so very picky, I decided I could not afford to try. Now, if I could only get them to eat peas, beans and the like .......

It is amazing how different their tastes can be. Mine will eat walnuts and pecans but aren't crazy about them but they will do anything for a cashew! That's our bed-bye treat (what they get for going in their cages). Roasted, though. They don't care as much for the raw ones which I bought for myself. Where are you at, Tudor? Maybe I could send you a little bag of pine nuts so you can try them. Ours love them, and especially the in-the-shell ones. I like those too, because it slows down their eating. Although I just read a new study on nuts that said nuts aren't as horrible as people once thought because the fats in nuts are good ones. I'd also prefer they munch the veggies, but as everyone knows, Greys tend to do what Greys want to do and that does not seem to be high on our Greybies' agendas.

My parrots love nuts. I only give them nuts which are sold for humans, no "off the tree for me or mine". Avian vets are hard to find and very expensive. Very favorite nuts of course and the most expensive pine nuts and pecans.

I got some the other day (pine nuts) that were $29.99 a lb. They were at a mostly-organic food store where everything was a bit pricey (where I got the beautiful organic pumpkin as well). But I got them home and my little darlings were not impressed. I tasted them and they aren't that fresh. Evidently the store outpriced the demand. So I guess I will be looking for human recipes using pine nuts.

I realized after the fact that these nuts from this store were the ones that gave me "pine mouth" - I had an extremely bitter taste with everything I ate or drank for almost two weeks. I suspect "pine mouth" may have something to do with rancid pine oils, perhaps?

Edited by Muse
Additional information