NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safety & the Holidays

Greywings

I'm no expert in the toy department (as we know). I don't give Inara egg cartons to play with because if they are used, I just consider the possibility of disease transmission. The foam ones, you could probably wash really well, and if Timber doesn't eat the pieces maybe they'd be OK? I bet some of the more experienced members who make toys, etc would know.

Excellent article! Thank you for sharing!

The case studies, while heartbreaking, might save future lives. I had never even thought about children hiding chocolate before. Of course, we don't have children of our own, so many of these things are not something that would easily come to mind. It's always better to read things like this and learn from the mistakes of others than to have to suffer through it first-hand.

I hope everyone has a safe holiday season!

Question about safety. Is a styrofoam egg carton OK for Timber? I'm thinking no, but I also know that is the kind of thing he loves...

Based on scientific tests over five decades, government safety agencies have determined that polystyrene is safe for use in food-service products. For example, polystyrene meets the standards of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the European Commission/European Food Safety Authority for use in packaging to store and serve food.

Polystyrene is common container for food and drinks. The styrene monomer (from which polystyrene is made) is a cancer suspect agent; it is "generally found in such low levels in consumer products that risks are low".

Styrene in food or water can rapidly enter the body through the digestive tract and most of these chemicals are excreted in urine within a few days. Styrene is highly metabolized in humans, with an estimated 97% eliminated through metabolic pathways, Although its effects on humans and aquatic life have been studied, the data on short- or long-term exposures to plants, birds, and land animals are insufficient to be conclusive.

Styrene oligomers in polystyrene containers used for food packaging have been found to migrate into the food. Japanese study conducted on wild-type and AhR-null mice found that the styrene trimmer, which the authors detected in cooked polystyrene container-packed instant foods, may increase thyroid hormone levels.

So, if bird would chew the Styrofoam food containers often there is potential risk of intoxication. …not to mention the risk of suffocation.

My opinion is that it is wise not to give our parrots styrene containers and toys to play with and to chew them.

Thanks for the excellent thread, Jill! There are just so many things that can be dangerous & it's so hard to see some of them coming sometimes. It is really helpful to have info from other sources like this.

Karen - I always wash my hands thoroughly after I handle eggs because they can have things on them that can make humans sick. Let alone the fids. It isn't a good idea to let Timber near anything that another bird could possibly have infected because some diseases can be so easily transferred & there's no washing some of those germs away. Sorry, Timber!! :(