NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

TO spray or not, that is the question now ...

Grumpy

I sprayed my bird today and am in two minds about that, wheather Cockey liked it or not ... since he showed both signs of satisfaction and aggression at the same time.

He was on his stand, feathers fluffed, but tried to reach the nozzle of the sprayer and even flew onto my hand and shoulder several times, but not biting, just producing some sounds of protest ...

Edited by Grumpy

My cag, enjoys being sprayed. He also loves to get right up to the nozzle, and opening his beak for a good drink. Tries to catch the nozzle in his beak too. Never fails he just enjoys the water and aloe vera juice so I let him have a little.

It is important to note that this is store bought aloe vera juice.

Edited by luvparrots

Sometimes fids gets a little over stimulated just like small children. Since Cockey did seem to enjoy it at least some, I think you've got a reasonable shot at being one of the few who has a grey who doesn't hate baths. Lucky you!!!!!!!!

If it helps, I've found that the actual bottle makes a difference sometimes. I've had a couple that really didn't go over well! Something else w/Phenix is that he gets more uncomfortable when I don't take a beat in between sprays. When it's not slow & steady he's more apt to get more upset.

And I definately agree w/Timbersmom. Walmart has the cheapest 100% organic aloe juice I've found. If the stores nearest you don't stock it, you can buy it online &/or use store pick up.

Grumpy, don't make your own. You can buy aloe juice in a large container at Walmart in this area. I don't know what you have available but you don't need to get it at a pet store. Just make sure it is 100% pure aloe vera juice.

I was just kidding about making it on my own ;)

On the other hand, I'm grateful for a kind advice where to get it "in this area", however there is a "small" problem ... we live thousands of miles apart ... if not noticed my domicile address is Belgrade, Serbia ;)

I do think my bird will accept spray bathing, but I'm also going to offer him a bowl or something of the kind, for himself to try.

There is no better and more enjoyable sight than to see your bird having a plunge on its own :)

Nearest Walmart is around the corner "just" 2094 km away from you. You just have to "jump" to London, UK. :D:D.....

But for serious, you can easily find Aloe Vera Juice in any supermarket in Belgrade in the "health food" department or in Bio-food stores. At least it is so in Skopje, Macedonia.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't recommend taking any aloe plant and making a drinking liquid. The main reason is that there's approx 20 types of aloe plants and a person has no idea which one they're using. I know what I'm talking about. In my profile, I state that I grow indoor succulents and other cacti. I've been doing that for years. I have about 13 types of aloes in all sizes. Some are hybrids and some are extremely dangerous to humans and also pets. The most common one that's sold is the one that's called *medicinal aloe*----$5 to $10 each--not for internal use.

PS---don't believe everything you see on the net. Some of those little tid bits of info are simply BS.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks for the photos of the sink bath. They certainly do like to find their own methods of bathing many times. It could to hear he is getting himself soaked. :)

Daves comments on the Aloe plant are coming from an expert. I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Yes, he does enjoy his sink bath.

The first time he did it, he loved it so much that when I took him back to his stand, he immediately flew back, right into the bathroom to have another splash of water ...

As regards the juice, I decided not to take any ;)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestons.

LOL, well, recently there was someone asking on the forum if they could juice their aloe plants to use. The answer was "no." You just never know! ;)

Is there a reason why? I use the juice from the plant on burns and cuts. I assume it is the same juice, and if it is from virgin growth, I am completely sure there are no pesticides or other chemicals on it. I would think it would be better to grow your own rather than to take chances on what might be in a mass produced product.

LOL, well, recently there was someone asking on the forum if they could juice their aloe plants to use. The answer was "no." You just never know!

Is there a reason why? I use the juice from the plant on burns and cuts. I assume it is the same juice, and if it is from virgin growth, I am completely sure there are no pesticides or other chemicals on it. I would think it would be better to grow your own rather than to take chances on what might be in a mass produced product.

I think sometimes posters short hand using "aloe juice" when they mean to say to use organic juice for bathing. According to the label info, Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Juice is "Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, (A Food Preservative At 1/10 Of 1%)." It's a very commonly found brand in the US, anyway. You can pick it up in larger drug store chains & currently buy a gallon of the stuff @ Walmart for all of $7.44.

Forum members have had some heated debates about using 1 - store bought aloe 2 - for anything besides bathing fids. Aloe is listed on more than a few toxic plant lists. To start w/the slimy layer between the rind & the gel in the middle is a diuretic & has been reported to cause problems. Since GF maintains a "better safe than sorry" policy about health & safety questions, that means anything else unfortunately goes into the No-No category.

There are also species of aloe that are reported to be poisonous, as Dave said. Since most of the store bought plants don't list their species, the risk from our fids taking it internally becomes greater. Any homemade juice is going to be "eaten" when the fid preens itself.

I've occasionally walked the line on this issue. I also usually take it on the chin for trying, however. lol But there are many well respected people in the bird keeping community who claim feeding (the right species of) aloe, can be very beneficial for parrots. Many of these articles are found on holistic sites, such as Land of Vos, however. Not actual veterinary websites. So this is in the strictest sense "debatable" & another area where interested parronts should do thorough research & make any well informed decisions w/the full understanding that they can be risking major consequences for their fid(s).

Back on (the original) topic - Yay!! for you & Cockey, Grumpy! It's really a shame that so many Greys tend to hate taking baths. I think it's so much fun to watch them splash around. So glad you both get to enjoy bath time, now! :D

Edited by birdhouse