NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Are all Greys WATERPROOF??

JanMarie

"I have been bathing Dolly with aloe vera juice and water...rolls right off her. So now I put her in the shower on a bird perch and gently rain on her...all that and she wasn't even damp! I sprayed her chest and legs and under wings and on her back ( she was not enjoying this but tolerated it) am I doing this wrong?

I know there is oil on their feathers, how do I get through that or is just spraying off the top dust enough? We have had her 3 weeks and the previous owners said they never gave her a bath or spray and she is 7 years old.

They do it themselves best. The key to a good soaking as Greycie taught us is to relax....and puff up! Haahaaa. I noticed the same thing. Greycie can come out of a forced shower and I feel like she didn't get a good soaking. When she does it herself she comes out like a rag doll. Even the top of her head which I can never get soaked comes out spiked when she does it herself.

My parrots all love a bath. I just mist/spray them with a bottle full of water and a touch of aloe vera juice. They open their feathers and get soaked to the skin. There is information in the Health Room on bathing your grey, I believe. And yes, greys are waterproof unless they open their feathers for you.

The others gave good thoughts. One warning, do not think you need to keep bathing your bird until the feathers are no longer waterproof. It is critical to their health that they remain waterproof. What your really trying to accomplish when bathing your bird is for them to "open" their feathers up so the skin gets soaked to remove some of that dander and make the skin supple with the aloe juice you mist with.

Thank you everyone! Dolly didn't open her feathers while I was spraying her they were smack tight against her...and right after her bath she started preening and it was a dander shower. I just hope she someday enjoys her shower/bath otherwise I will have a dirty birdy.

I have another question. Why does she growl when she is perched on my hand? Especially if I give her a treat. She sort of sounds like what a coffee pot sounds like just as it's finished brewing a gurgle growl. I don't think I'm good at this. ugh. :(

Edited by JanMarie

I too have a grey that doesn't enjoy showers so she will not open her feathers but I take my hand and lift them up to get some water in, just keep trying.

About the growl, she has only been with you for 3 weeks and she needs more time to feel comfortable in her new home so allow her more time.

I ask more experienced guardians...Growling is not necessarily negative or vicious. Right? My Congo used to growl a lot, almost like a dog playing. Didn't seem to be bothered, just making noise. My Timneh growls a lot when we play, with no aggression, or effort to get away, or stop the activity.

Hi...again, thank you! I know I need patience. (not my strongest suit) I have just never known a bird not to like me...I know, this is just not a "bird" I get that :) *I wish I could lift her feathers when getting a shower but I would need medical attention if I touched her, she's not having any of that yet. She want's to rip my arm off if I hand her a toy to play with. So I will let her call the shots when she is ready and just be dusty. It hasn't killed her yet in 7 years so I guess a little more time being a dirty birdy is Ok. I'm running a humidifier and hope that it helps her too. I have had cockatiels for 37 years...I thought I knew a thing or two about birds. Nope. An African Grey is a whole different world.

Your right, a grey is not like any other parrot. Of course each parrot species have their own traits. You hit the nail on the head in letting her call the shots, to a certain extent. She does need misting whether she likes it or not 2 or 3 times a week. The most important thing now is just trying to avoid non necessary reasons for her to be fearful. It's all about building trust and learning the limits of what she will allow. The vital things like baths, feeding, caging cleaning etc. are things you do whether she likes it or not. The other remaining 99 percent of the day should be focused on just carrying on interaction with her that are not threatening to her or invading her space she decides are the limits. Each grey will choose whom the favored is and then the rest are flock members they socialize with, but not at same up close and personal level. That will evolve and expand over time. :)

Dan, will the misting do anything for her if she doesn't open the feathers? I actually have been using an aloe vera mix with water 3 times a week and it's like spraying a latex bird! ...and she not be likin' it one bit. I will keep doing it. I will not let the fact she is trying to vaporize me with her eyes stop me.

LOL!!! Maybe it's time to step away from the spray bottle. :) They're designed to have some dust on their feathers. It's also insulation. If you've been doing this 3x/wk, she's not probably going to get much better. Or any happier, btw. Maybe it's time to change up. Maybe see if you can find an acceptable bathing dish, instead. Everyone might end up being a lot happier.

^^^ Pyrex are heavier & less noisy. Aluminum pie pans make such a greyt mess when flipped over & way fun noises, too!! lol I finally found a humongous chip & dip dish. It's shallow enough to climb in & still fill w/enough water to be too heavy to flip. Scalloped edge & no lip, either. But this, like everything else, will have to be a process of trial & error until you find what works for your fid.

Speaking of..., just realized that I suggested someone else might experiment w/different spray bottles & spray rhythms. I know it may sound a little crazy. But sometimes it makes a difference, too.

If you have a young Grey, it helps to have another bird around to show them the ropes. Greycie didn't take her first bath until Toby the Caique showed up and went right to work bathing. Took her a couple of observations before she was fully engulfed and making a mess of my countertops. It's cute watching her learn from the other birds. The others do things instinctually (as does she) but she will also observer them and pick up thier noises and behaviors.

Greys are made of latex alright! LOL!! They are better than an umbrella. Sophie age 13 hates the shower, when it is done, it is a necessity! I of course am killing her... i'm use to that response. Watching her friends shower, whom LOVE the shower, she will watch, be happy they are having fun. When it's her turn, I get a " NO THANK YOU!" Her answer is unacceptable, I apologize beforehand. She understands. BUT Miss latex still avoids the water, while yelling at me " ROM ROM.... NOOOOOOO! When I tell her " I don't want you to be a stinky bird", she gets offended and tells me " Sophie is not stinky!" I was in class today... pulling out forms I needed for class. There was two down feathers attached to my forms. Sophies. Jeez! Nancy

When you have had a grey for 13 years, you get use to the " guilt trips!" LOL When I struggle, my oldest Ryan, will step in, tell Sophie to " knock it off"... she listens. It amazes me, that Ryan sees her two times a year, even though they skype weekly, Sophie listens to him, It is going to be challenging when Ryan comes homes during Christmas. Nancy

My guy, Brutus, hates showers. He will sometimes dunk himself, but I can't wait that long. On the weekends I roll his cage outside. Even though he holds his feathers tight to his body, if I use a hose attachment and set it on "mist" I can get him pretty soaked. Mist is deceiving because it delivers a large quantity of water without force. He tolerates this kind of shower. Besides a bath, make sure your grey gets some outside time in the sun! So important for your bird to get some direct sunlight most days.

I live in Michigan, so we get about 4 months of decent weather. I have Dolly by a bright window without direct sun pounding on her. I will try the misty hose in the summer..not sure I can wait that long. I am going to try the dish in the bottom of the cage that others have suggested but I am going to wait a couple of days.