NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why are Parrots so messy?

BaileysPapa

Recently I was talking with some friends, (of course, Parrot People), and the subject of our parrots' messy behavior came up. I proposed the idea that they are so messy because in the natural world they serve the purpose of reforesting the forest/jungle. They, like monkeys, eat only part of whatever they find, and drop the rest. This serves two purposes; first, to spread seeds of fruit & vining vegetables to the ground below, and secondly, to supplement the feeding of animals that cannot climb trees, the fruits that are in season which they could not get to. Of course, this serves no purpose in our homes, but, these are still wild creatures, and natural behaviors are still with them. Any thoughts?

Good post Baileyspapa. Very true. My dogs would sit and wait for Dayo to toss food items out of the cage. I know Dayo was aware of it because he would sometimes toss then watch to see which dog got the item. They certainly are messy! Now that pomegranates are in season, Ive been placing towels around their cages when I give them some in with there morning veggies. They can certainly toss those seeds a fair distance. You don't want stains from that on your carpet or walls. :P

My theory is what began in the wild served a specific purpose and then they adapted to captivity and it serves another specific purpose. First it is a test of the worthiness and dedication of their human subject. Only the strong survive, others are relegated to the rejected, defective human exile from parronthood. Next, once the subject has passed the minor testing, usually two years, then the uncanny ability to read minds propels the parrot to seek enrichment for his human, you know, something to occupy her time, make her feel like she is contributing to the flock by cleaning and replacing food, toys, cage papers etc. What other paltry excuse for productivity would these poor humans have anyway?

LOL katana600! All I know... is they make messes that are beyond our control! Or is it? I got smart, bought painters plastic ( sheet rolls), that I could spread 16 by 20 feet. Moved their cages away from the walls as raspberries, blueberries really takes the paint off. Put the painters plastic underneath ( walmart), and for a moment... I was one step ahead! Nancy

Hahaha Nancy, right when you think we are one step ahead of them, they are carefully observing our behavior to give us more "enrichment". All kidding aside though, I went almost two and a half years with a little soul who was so shut down, she never made messes. I could have put one paper towel in her cage to catch her droppings because it was only in one place. I don't run around after her with a dustpan, she can fling things far and wide now and a mess is a beauty to behold. The first time I had to sweep up a shredded toy outside her cage, I could have had a party I was so delighted. I rejoice that she is messy, even when she flings a cup of water across the floor.

I think Brutus is messy just so he can get a refill. He tosses out any food that he deems unpalatable. I guess he thinks the space he creates will allow in extra food, more to his liking. It sometimes works:)

Reminds of how Greycie acts sometimes. We'll be sharing my food (she doesn't like to share hers) and she starts picking and tossing as if to say: "nope, this is no good <toss>. This blows <toss>. There's better here <toss>. oh....what's this!" And her pupils start that pinning.

It is sooo much more important that birds are messy. They are doing what they do best.

Katana600 So happy your bird is being messy more. So much better! I will take " messy" any day.I finally invested in a " Shop Vac". It can handle what they throw. I ruined sooo many vacumn cleaners that couldn't handle their debris. I'm always an inch ahead of them. BRING IT ON! LOL Nancy