NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kamikaze!

Muse

Our cockatiel was a sort of 'surrender' - my husband's mother is one of those people who sees someone else get something and immediately wants it as well. When we took her to the bird store to meet Marden before he was weaned (we were staying with her taking care of her at that point), she immediately said "I want a bird!" and of course my husband obliged by getting her a cockatiel with all the accessories (cage, play stand, etc.). Maks was older than Mar by several months and long since weaned so he got to come home after a couple days of "cage training." I don't know if this made him territorial or what, but since then he's been VERY aggressive towards the Greys. I keep wishing we'd have left him at the store and brought them all home together but of course I cannot change the past. Of course, once the newness wore off, and once she realized birds are a lot of WORK (unlike her pet rats that got left in a cage until she felt like playing with them) she told me "I'm just not a bird person." Maks had already decided that being ignored on a perch while she played on the computer was less fun that riding my shoulder while I worked, so he'd bonded to me anyway. I've come to love him as much as any of the other babies.

Recently, we have all moved to a new home (in another state) and they all arrived at the same time. I thought perhaps this would be an end to the 'territorial' thing, but no such luck. I think it is too late now for that to have an effect on his attitude.

I am not talking just hissing and posturing. He will fly clear across a room to swoop down and literally attack them when they are minding their own business. They are many times his size - especially Mar, who is nearly 500g. I don't know if he's got some kind of death wish or what.

Does anyone else have a cockatiel with this kind of attitude? Is this normal? I have tried every animal (and child) technique to modify this behavior with no success. Any suggestions? Tips?

We are planning a very large aviary for the birds to allow them to fly somewhat freely, while still remaining protected from aerial predators. I am not sure how this will work if he's going to chase down the Greys and pounce on them.

I welcome any advice!

Looks pretty cool from what I could see. I don't have an account so I couldn't see the big pictures. We are in the planning stages now. I know I want a few things: large - big enough for large wings to stretch and fly, and high enough to encourage up and down flight. My idea was to use one of those carport type structures, the taller ones they make for RVs, and cover it in wire panels. I'd build a brick or concrete knee wall to discourage predator animals from sniffing around as well as have wire inside and out to prevent reach through. I want to put planters in it for small trees and other plants as well as building structures for them to climb and play on. What I thought about was getting one kind of like this: http://garagebuildings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Red-Barn-Roof-only-300x183.jpg and making one 'room' sectioned off for the cockatiel and Sun Conure. The GCCs do not have problems with the Greys and vice versa but they DO dislike Maks and Alex. We'd also build a 'run' connected to their room, which would shorten when we build the house out during the remodel (adding to kitchen and bird room). It's still in the planning stage right now, unfortunately.

Our old aviary was a 10x10 foot one built of PVC. We knew we were moving in a couple years and wanted something that could be taken down at that time. We did, and donated it to a lady who does rescue and wildlife rehab. I will dig up some pictures and post them later if I get the chance. Right now I am being paged. The Greybies want their evening snack.

I highly suggest getting a sign-in or whatever is needed to view the pictures at the link I provided. That guy built a really really good aviary that is not to over-the-top. He even provided the source of the aviary netting that he used. With four birds and possible being five in the next few months we're putting a serious push into getting our aviary built. Your carport idea is interesting. The breeder we bought Greycie from has a flight pen built from a huge hoop-style greenhouse. She demonstrated flying her birds in there for us and I thought it was neat. One of my points for having an aviary is so Greycie can be outside in the UVA/B rays so she can get her quota fulfilled. Hate to de-rail the thread but it's a very interesting topic.

I will have to look into that. Perhaps when the fids wind down and go to bed. They think they are a bunch of owls. Mommy worked the 3-11 pm shift for a long time, so night time, when I got home, was always play time. Not so fun when I am trying to stay on daytime hours now. Hehehe.

We looked into net, but it seemed to fragile, and I was afraid they'd chew a hole in it and escape. We used GAW wire, I cannot remember what gauge but it was like, 1/2 inch by 2 inch spacing.

I am working on a 3D model/plan but in between unpacking/settling in (which is going SLOW with nine birds, three cats and a dog). Hopefully I can post pics when I get it done.