NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Temperature

Nitzey

We used to keep our house warm during the winter since we figured Caesar was a tropical bird and needed warmth. However, we visited a "parrot park" here in Pensacola, Florida and the keeper has all his birds (a hundred or so) outside. Most are macaws but he has several African Greys. In the NW corner of Florida we often have freezing days during the winter. I talked to the keeper and he states his parrots have no problem with the cold weather. I like the temperature in the house cool at night and might revert to that because of what he said.

I am not sure about leaving them out in freezing temperatures - his seem to do OK, I just couldn't do it. But, my house is at 67-69 in the winter and the birds seem to handle that just fine. It is a little cool for me sometimes, but I like it at night.

Edited by Brat Birds

My house is between 66 and 70 in the winter. I have a supplemental heater in Timber's area to make sure it stays in at 68 or above. I know parrots often survive colder temps if they are acclimated. However, I would rather be safe and keep him warm.

Very wise thinking;)

• 2 weeks later...

If my birds beaks or feet are cold... I up the temp. Usually around 68-70. I can tell when Sophie is cold without checking her beak or feet. She stops chewing my ear off from afar. A " normal" mechanism to preserve body heat. Kids have complained for years that " I love Sophie more than them!" I keep her warm! I always tell them " You can put on a sweater... she can"t!" Nancy

LOL I've heard that one! When the kids were growing up, I kept the thermostat low (64-65). We live in a large, 1915 vintage house with hot water heat. When the boys are home now they always get their digs in about me turning up the thermostat for "that bird" and having supplemental heat for him.

My house temp goes down to 65 at night. I have an infared heater, but am afraid to leave it on i worry about a fire if something goes wrong at night or when I am not home. What do you guys think?

No matter what temp you decide to go to, getting there on a gradual basis provides very little body change or problems for birds. They have more layers of body temp protection than people do. 65 would bother people much more so thsn birds. The wild outdoors has extreme weather changes. Birds don;t have problems with that. Quakers can handle temps as low as 38 degrees.

The biggest problem with temp is when it's raised. There's no where for the bird to go to avoid higher temps.

The fact that a parrot's feet get cold periodically means very little. It happens with birds, other animals, humans. The only time when a bird's feet will get affected if they're cold is when they already have a foot infection. The same applies to people.

Parrots do adapt to colder temperatures as last weekend when I was in Pigeon Forge I went to Parrot Mountain and it was only in the upper 40's for a start to the day and the birds were outside on their perches though they do go inside at night when they close and November is the last month they are open until spring. There were lots of macaws, cockatoos, amazons, conures and multitudes of other species, we got to feed some of them and one Mtoo climbed on for some cuddling, I would recommend anyone who lives anywhere near or travels to Tennessee to pay them a visit, it was worth the trip, I will probably return for another visit in the future.