NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rescue - Don't miss this series by PBS

danmcq

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/parrot-confidential/parrot-confidential/8496/

Overview

In "Parrot Confidential," the award-winning series lays out the facts. For a whole lot of reasons, it’s a terrible idea.Large parrots can live 80-90 years. They require an enormous commitment of time, effort and money. They’re loud. They’re dangerous.

"People will come in," Jamie McLeod of the Santa Barbara Bird Sanctuary says in the program, "and they’ll say, ‘I want a bird that talks. That’s quiet. And that doesn’t bite.’ And that species has not yet been discovered."

The part about large parrots being dangerous is no exaggeration.

"Everybody loves the Amazons because they sing and they talk, but nothing can bite you harder than an Amazon parrot," McLeod says. "One day you’re cuddling it and the next minute you’re missing part of your face."

"Parrot Confidential" is not an attack on parrot owners. On the contrary, the hour introduces viewers to the best possible owners who are doing everything they can to care for their parrots — but many still find themselves overwhelmed.

"They have not been domesticated, as dogs and cats have for thousands of years," said Emmy-winning filmmaker Allison Argo, the woman behind this documentary. "These are wild animals and they have wild needs."

They tend to bond with one person and one person only. Which makes it troublesome for other people in the family, particularly if the bird’s favorite has to go out of town. That’s what happened to Russ and Liz Hartman, two well-intentioned parrot owners who came to realize they couldn’t handle Basil, their yellow-naped Amazon.

They’re not pets," Russ Hartman said. "You can call them a pet. You can put them in a pet shop. You can dress it up all you want. They’re not pets." "I would never do it again. No," Liz Hartman said. "For my own mental health and the mental health of the parrot. No."

Taking on a parrot means committing to care for it for its entire life. And odds are it will outlive you, so you’ll need to make some arrangement for it after you’re gone.

"What we ask people to do is put a thousand dollars a year for the life expectancy of the bird into some sort of endowment for the care of their bird for the rest of its life," said Marc Johnson, founder of Foster Parrots Ltd. "So for another 30 years, we ask $30,000."

Smaller birds live up to 30 years. They aren’t easy to care for, but they are easier than the big parrots."I think the larger the bird gets, the more difficult the care issues are," Johnson said. "When somebody comes in to adopt a parrot, we say, ‘Get the smallest one you can live with, because you can open the cage. You can let them fly around. You could actually dedicate a room in your house for them.’ And flight is a vital part of their life."That’s one of the reasons that he doesn’t think large parrots should be pets at all.

"Just on the philosophical level, I have a big problem with taking a flighted animal, altering their physical state to make it convenient for us, and turning them into a terrestrially bound animal," he said.

Argo made a point of including footage of parrots in the wild "so that you never forget that this is where these birds came from."

She said she’s hoping "Parrot Confidential" will "open up eyes so that people can make informed decisions" if they’re considering adopting a parrot. Buying, selling and breeding of the birds is completely unregulated, and estimates are that at least 2 million are being bred each year in the United States — down from 5 million a few years ago.

"If you feel like you can step up to the plate, consider adopting rather than going to Petco and putting down $40 and just perpetuating this cycle," Argo said.

Edited by danmcq

Thanks Dan, I watched the preview and read link after link of the articles suggested. I plan to watch the documentary with our other forum friends. One thing that struck me as I was reading is that our forum has addressed much of the information provided and we are not the "average" parrot home according to nationwide numbers provided. It is good that the word is getting out there and would be something wonderful if we get the opportunity to comment and direct more people who are considering an African Grey to join us for a real look into the commitment and dedication it takes to do our best for our companions.

Thoughts?

Mine -

Loved it that they didn't glamorize parrot ownership. Reinforced my guilt for parrots in the first place. I've always felt it should be illegal to own/breed/etc parrots in general. My wife actually commented during the piece that it's a highly selfish act to bring a parrot into your home and ask it to bond with someone in the home. Unfortunately I agreed.

Really sad to see some of the cases they profiled. Lou left abandoned in a house to basically fend for himself. The overwhelmed parrot rescues. I really wanted to cry when the profiled the African Grey that was addicted to nicotine. Just breaks my heart.

I wish there was an organization like that at the end that was focused on training the birds to be reintroduced back into their wild habitat.

The parrots are just another segment of this world we've managed to pollute and destroy.

I just watched this show and loved it, part of it was sad to watch like how someone could leave their bird behind when they moved out of their house but seeing those parrots in flight was very enjoyable and my hat goes off to those who take it upon themselves to provide a sanctuary for unwanted parrots, thanks so much Dan for letting us know this show was to be aired.

Watched this tonight with my co-parront. Afterwards we had yet another a serious talk about what we're getting into when we pick up our 15-year-old Congo later this week.

An excellent look at the realities of parrots in the role of "pet".

And our responsibilities as parrot lovers.

I'm glad we got over the idea that babies are "the only way to go". While I'm not putting down breeders or those who have bought baby birds*, I'm glad we have learned that rehomed, mature birds are, with patience, an excellent option. There are so many birds needing homes.

(*Most of my dogs have been "rescues", but for working dogs in particular, I'd support a reputable breeder.)

Tiny little baby steps. One thing that struck me was the remark that people have had parrot companions for thousands of years. When the laws changed for importing wild caught parrots, I think things must have improved significantly. As the hobby breeders have realized the work and the lifelong connection that gives you to a hand fed baby, countless people who so carefully vetted out new homes for those babies and then brought them back to care for them, that has changed in our country. There is a commonality to the rejected parrots who bonded in that first home with their special person and had a "blissful" few years until life changed and the relationship became troubled. It was sad to see the young Amazon in a small cage surrounded by her flock flying over, calling out and she couldn't join them. But, then I look at the situation many of us are in. We are committed, we have a second or third "game plan" for our companion. We joined this forum to learn to make the best life possible for the parrot in our lives. It is impossible to turn back the clock and open the cage and set them free. They are happy and healthy in our home with as much freedom and choice as any of our children would have as toddlers. As with heartbreaking news stories of human children born to parents incapable of the care and love they deserve, we have to do our very best with what we have today and be happy with our decision to share our life with the parrot who miraculously, against all odds found their way to our doorstep.

I thought they did a nice job, as others commented. The dichotomy they drew between wild versus captive parrots was very well thought out and demonstrated effectively why it is such a challenge for us parrot owners to keep them happy and healthy. I also appreciated them stating several times that a parrot is not domesticated simply because it was hatched in captivity and was still a wild creature.

The interviews were powerful illustrations of just how ill prepared many new parrot owners are for the task of living with a parrot and building a strong and healthy relationship with them. As the over population of rescues clearly illustrate, only a small percent of people buying that pretty and intelligent parrot they see in the pet store keep them more than a few years. Then they realize they were not prepared nor committed to accepting and unconditionally loving them in this relationship with the highly intelligent sentient being they brought home. Mistakenly thinking it would be just like a puppy dog or like the parrots they see on tv or in a movie.

Of course, we all know, even dog, cat etc. owners do the same thing when they buy that cute puppy or cat, then get tired of it and it ends up in a shelter soon to be one of the millions looking for a new home or possibly being put to sleep. There should be what I believe a government lead requirement for any prospective buyer of a pet to attend some type of classes and then be financially held responsible to either find a new home for it or pay for housing it at a no kill shelter until it has found a new home. This thought may be repulsive to some to have such regulations put on pet owners, but jesus, we need to do something about this deplorable situation. It's not the critters fault some moron bought them and view them as a throw away item. We are all accountable for our actions in life, either to people or a higher power in my belief.

Anyway thats my thoughts on the great episode one and I am looking forward to the second episode. :)

Edited by danmcq

Going to have to find it online. We don't have a TV. Sounds like a good program, though I am not sure I'd watch it with the birds. It seems to upset them when I cry and these type of shows usually make me do that.

Yeah. Found it. Tried to watch it all. Didn't make it all the way through before the flood. It's been a very rough week and my emotions may be a bit too raw, but I couldn't get past the sorrow (and rage) at some of those stories. There are times I am ashamed for the way some humans behave towards God's helpless creatures. My only solace is in the firm belief that those who fail the test of being caretakers of this world and all the creatures in it will some day answer for their actions. May they all be rewarded according to their deeds.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/parrot-confidential/parrot-confidential/8496/

Overview

In "Parrot Confidential," the award-winning series lays out the facts. For a whole lot of reasons, it’s a terrible idea.Large parrots can live 80-90 years. They require an enormous commitment of time, effort and money. They’re loud. They’re dangerous.

"People will come in," Jamie McLeod of the Santa Barbara Bird Sanctuary says in the program, "and they’ll say, ‘I want a bird that talks. That’s quiet. And that doesn’t bite.’ And that species has not yet been discovered."

The part about large parrots being dangerous is no exaggeration.

"Everybody loves the Amazons because they sing and they talk, but nothing can bite you harder than an Amazon parrot," McLeod says. "One day you’re cuddling it and the next minute you’re missing part of your face."

"Parrot Confidential" is not an attack on parrot owners. On the contrary, the hour introduces viewers to the best possible owners who are doing everything they can to care for their parrots — but many still find themselves overwhelmed.

"They have not been domesticated, as dogs and cats have for thousands of years," said Emmy-winning filmmaker Allison Argo, the woman behind this documentary. "These are wild animals and they have wild needs."

They tend to bond with one person and one person only. Which makes it troublesome for other people in the family, particularly if the bird’s favorite has to go out of town. That’s what happened to Russ and Liz Hartman, two well-intentioned parrot owners who came to realize they couldn’t handle Basil, their yellow-naped Amazon.

They’re not pets," Russ Hartman said. "You can call them a pet. You can put them in a pet shop. You can dress it up all you want. They’re not pets." "I would never do it again. No," Liz Hartman said. "For my own mental health and the mental health of the parrot. No."

Taking on a parrot means committing to care for it for its entire life. And odds are it will outlive you, so you’ll need to make some arrangement for it after you’re gone.

"What we ask people to do is put a thousand dollars a year for the life expectancy of the bird into some sort of endowment for the care of their bird for the rest of its life," said Marc Johnson, founder of Foster Parrots Ltd. "So for another 30 years, we ask $30,000."

Smaller birds live up to 30 years. They aren’t easy to care for, but they are easier than the big parrots."I think the larger the bird gets, the more difficult the care issues are," Johnson said. "When somebody comes in to adopt a parrot, we say, ‘Get the smallest one you can live with, because you can open the cage. You can let them fly around. You could actually dedicate a room in your house for them.’ And flight is a vital part of their life."That’s one of the reasons that he doesn’t think large parrots should be pets at all.

"Just on the philosophical level, I have a big problem with taking a flighted animal, altering their physical state to make it convenient for us, and turning them into a terrestrially bound animal," he said.

Argo made a point of including footage of parrots in the wild "so that you never forget that this is where these birds came from."

She said she’s hoping "Parrot Confidential" will "open up eyes so that people can make informed decisions" if they’re considering adopting a parrot. Buying, selling and breeding of the birds is completely unregulated, and estimates are that at least 2 million are being bred each year in the United States — down from 5 million a few years ago.

"If you feel like you can step up to the plate, consider adopting rather than going to Petco and putting down $40 and just perpetuating this cycle," Argo said.

I cried the majority of the time while watching, so have yer Kleenex handy if you love birds in any way. One thing I have learned from having Isaac as a companion is that these birds are certainly meant to be flying free and need a lot of space to play. My very best efforts still leave me imagining how much more Isaac would love flying out in the wild. Having Isaac taught me to love parrots so much to the point of wanting them to be free. This documentary offers that impact. Should be a video that all prospect parrot owners should watch.

Priceless quote! I laughed my arse off when this line came up. It perfectly embodies the full realization of having a parrot in your life. It's how you know your really love parrots.

• Haha 1

Hi Stephen! I would purchase a parrot again. This Parrot Confidential will hopefully be seen by some people thinking about purchasing one and decide not to after all so another parrot in need of rescue does not happen. I would do it again because when I purchase or adopt a critter of any kind, it is with unconditional love and I will be their final home. Now granted Dayo is going to out live me. Being the person I am and the responsibility I take very seriously. I will ensure they go to a home that knows what they are getting in to and have the same philosophy I do about adopting a critter of any kind. Breeders are breeding and these birds all need a loving and caring home. So do I feel guilty? No, absolutely not. Does it bother me with the knowledge that my parrots will not enjoy the life of a wild parrot as they were meant to be? Yes! Thus the reason I do all I can to provide all I can to ensure they are flighted and enjoying life as much as possible in my home, taken with me places I and my wife goes as much as possible etc. We are their flock and so is my immediate family that has come over since the day we brought Dayo home. He welcomes them to our home by name and talks about them when they are gone. We as a society need to be more responsible for the critters being bred in captivity for our pleasure and our pleasure ONLY, need to ensure these intelligent and sentient beings are treated with the respect, admiration and love for all that they are. The Puppy Mills, parrot breeding "Factories" that produce parrots or all kinds by the hundreds of thousands each year and sell them off to pet stores across the country need to be under strict government guidelines and shut down if they do not follow those guidelines. I wish all other countries in the world would ban the import of wild caught parrots and that wold stop the capture of them in the wild. The $$$ would be gone and so would the poachers for the most part. With the number of breeders around the world, there is no reason I can see that importing these wild caught parrots should not be banned. Anyway, off my box now and need o do some homey do's for my love muffin. :)

Edited by danmcq

Parrot rescue is a wonderful thing. Maybe I was too brief in my point. Doing things for the well-being of parrots will always be good. I am just saying that if you truly look deeply into it, it is all just somewhat unnatural. No matter how good of a home we give our birds, they are still never totally free. It s not to say that we don't give them wonderful lives, but a little piece of my heart breaks each time I have to put Isaac into his cage. Though he is probably safer in my home than he may be in his natural environment, I can't help but sometimes wonder if it would still be worth it to him just to be completely free and with other parrots. Besides, he is only safer in my home because of trappers which are inspired by bird parrot lovers. I am not saying we should feel guilty for having companion birds...not at all. I am just saying that at some point, there comes an appreciation for the gravity of what we as a human species have done when we take in other lives in as companions...and we always know that in some way, they are captured by us. It really gives me an appreciation for just how much we owe to them....so much so to the point of wanting them all to be free. That's all I am saying. Give as much love to the guys as you can by all means though. :)