NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Heartbroken from sudden but preventable death of my CAG

momy442000

I have not been on the forum in quite sometime but in this moment I thought of you guys to retreat to since you all would understand the heartbreak I am feeling. I got up and midnight on Thursday to get ready to go to work the night shift. When I entered the room that had my Cags cage in it to my horror he was laying on the bottom dead. I was in shock at first and within seconds went to him trying to convince myself that this was a bad dream but no it was all too real. I then immediately turned to check on TAG in the other cage and she was alive but behaving oddly so I took her out and within minutes she was slipping away...I dropped everything grabbed a towel to wrap her in and drove to the ER vet immediately. On the short drive I kept saying her name because she was so close to slipping asleep...the were so good at the vet when I got there took her back to the icu area and took care of her quickly...she remained in oxygen for 5 hours and had bloodwork done. They kept her there and sent me home but I was able to see her before I left and they already had her stable and she had already went from not being able to hold herself up to sitting on a perch. She is home now and doing so much better...still keeping her quiet and resting as this will take some time to fully recover and get over the trauma of the nights events. But my CAG did not make it...he was only 7. My husband (not knowing) broiled a steak on a cookie sheet that night and the juice drippings on the pan burned around the steak and filled the house with smoke and the part he did not realize it also filled with nonstick fumes from being cooked on such a high heat. This is an awful learning lessen and as embarrassing as it is to tell you that this happened to my baby I feel it needs to be shared to stress the importance of getting rid of the non stick cookware and to not ever use the self cleaning setting in your oven. Monty's death happened in a matter of a couple hours and had I not gotten up to go to work I would have had 2 dead birds to wake up to. I would not wish this pain on anyone...the guilt and heartache is awful and I do not know how I will get past this..I hope that focusing all my energy on my TAG now and knowing I did save her and I removed every last piece of non stick stuff in my kitchen helps me know that I at least am correcting my accident but nothing seems to be helping. So please please please check your kitchens and be very very careful! It's a lessen no one should have to experience:(

I am so very sorry to know you lost Monty and that your heart is breaking. You are among friends who do understand the depth of your loss and pain. It helps us a lot to learn to do better for knowing Monty's loss was not in vain if one person decreases the chance of an accidental exposure to our families. When I was changing over to alternate cookware and getting all our nonstick kitchenware replaced, it was so hard to throw them away, my husband loved them and detests the new stainless steel. He wanted to keep his familiar stuff and only use them when he was "careful" and didn't like it when I was so adamant about it. I felt guilty but your sharing helps me to hold firm. Thank you for taking the time and exposing your pain to help our loved ones, feathered and human. I am grateful that your TAG survived and that you are not holding your husband to blame, I'm sure all of you are suffering.

Heart breaking story but it was very brave of you to share it here in order to prevent others from having to endure this themselves. Life is like that - we learn by our mistakes, unfortunately you learned the hard way but you must forgive yourself and your husband and concentrate on your TAG and getting him back to full health.

• Haha 1

Oh Lord how devastating! I'm so glad you were able to save your TAG. My heart goes out to you, and I appreciate your willingness to share. Hopefully this post will prevent a tragedy like this in someone else's home. I'm not fond of cooking everything in stainless steel (works fine for some things, not as well for others) but that's what I do. If I hadn't read about the dangers of nonstick on this forum I don't think I would have even known though.

Oh my gosh! What heartbreak. I am so very sorry for your loss. But I thank you for taking the time to one here and share your story with us. Many here will learn from this tragedy, you have saved many birds lives I am sure by having the courage to come here and tell your story.

I am glad you were able to save your tag due to your quick thinking. In the moment, of devastation from losing your cag, you had the good mind to put that out of your mind and do what you had to to save your tag. Bless you, my prayers are with you.

Thank you all for your kind words. I wouldn't wish this kind of heartbreak on anyone so if it means owning up to my mistake to make sure others are aware of how serious this is then it's worth it. No bird should have to suffer the way mine did if it can be prevented. I really have no other words I am just empty inside right now...trying to focus on my TAG and just taking it one day at a time:(

My sincere sympathies are with you. So heartbreaking. Mistakes can and do happen. I took my CAG Gracie to my parents' house a few weeks ago and started to brown meat in a TEFLON skillet. I caught myself after a couple of minutes--and no harm was done...but Yikes! Thank you for this warning.

• 3 weeks later...