NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather Plucking

carolz7

I just wanted to share with you all the success i have had as of lately with my green wing macaw. Plucking started in 2007 and there is nothing we have not tried. From tests to medication to you name it. He has a huge play room, lots of toys, radio, tv, movies, treats in foraging cups everywhere and mommy home 7 days a week. What more can one ask for?????

I recently switched avian vets after 10 years and it seems like this doctor is onto something. I will show picture 1 and then the next picture is week 2 and then week 3. Look at the amazing new growth. Now i only pray that this will stay.

2013-10-07 19.15.39.jpg

2013-10-15 17.36.11.jpg

2013-10-24 17.35.49.jpg

Very good progress! What is he doing? Or having you do? Plucking birds have always had a special place in my heart. And my home. Just like people doctors, you need second, or third opinions for major problems. Everyone knows different things, sees things differently, and approaches things differently. When I was doing a lot of rescue work, I had 3 different vets that I would consult for the "problem children". And often they would not see things the same, or prescribe the same treatment. Good luck.

I made the mistake to stay with one vet for way too long. And his pricing was so outrageous but i liked him and felt he knew it all. I cannot believe how much money i spent for nothing. This new vet i dont feel the same about but he seems to know what he is doing also and a 1/3 of the price.

Just recently we had to put our lady bird dog down after 14 years of being with us. First vet wanted $200 some, just know it was well over $200. Called the new vet, $53.00. Same with the birds, my visit is now under $100 and the previous no matter what you go for and i am not talking a ton of tests but you walk out the door 400, 500 he loves that number,lol

Sorry got side tracked. I am doing 2 things currently. First off we are doing a behavior modification compound medication. Meds are $12 a month, just go to the compound pharmacy and they make it up. Second i am using the spray on my website, especially when i see him start over preening. Doing good and its working. I believe its a 2 month treatment. Hope this helps.